RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

WiFi & Hotspot

Hello all

I have read a lot of threads about wifi and using hotspot devices.

I am not a wifi/smartphone savy person.

What I am wondering and hope someone can help me is that I am going to So Cal in the winter and the RV Resort I am staying at only lets you have one device for free on their wifi. They have told me that I would need to get a company called Spectrum to arrange for internet service if I want more than one device on the internet.

I will only be at the resort for 3 months before heading back home so I'm not to sure about having a internet service installed for 3 months.

I have a smart TV with wifi and chromecast, so I can send movies from my laptop to the TV. I also have apps on the TV , Netflix , that I like to watch. Also my wife will want to use her laptop and cell phone as well.

My question is, can I get on the resort's wifi with my smartphone and use it as a hotspot for the other devices ? I have a new smartphone that does have the ability to share.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Jgriff1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

Short answer, NO.
You can turn your phone into wifi hot spot utilizing your cell carrier. What sort of data plan do you have? Another option is, forget the open wifi system the park offers. Generally speaking its useless to all but the first dozen or so that are lucky to get signed on. You can buy a mifi or what ever its called now from either Verizon or ATT. They I believe do have a month to month plans that you can get. Remember streaming movies can eat up a lot of gigs of data in a hurry, so do a lot of research, educate yourself before making the plunge.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #3

Spectrum cable that operates in Fla is whom I use at home. If that is the same company in Ca then that might be a good way to go if the park uses them for catv. They have no contract to sign and the speed over a cable modem would be more than 10x better than anything you could get via cellular.
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:40 AM   #4

I know how I would do it, but without being somewhat tech savvy, it may not work for you. I have a Pepwave Surf On The Go router that connects as a single device to the RV park, creates a private network and I connect all my devices to it. I have one favorite campground that got tired of paying someone to maintain their access points, so the office is the only place that has WiFi and it is too far for my Pepwave to connect to reliably, so I've order a Ubiquiti M2 radio and a Ubiquiti AirCube ISP that will be like a Pepwave on steroids.
A better solution for you may just be to get a Verizon hotspot and one of their prepaid data plans. You can connect up to 10 devices with the 7730 and above hotspots.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Short answer, NO.
You can turn your phone into wifi hot spot utilizing your cell carrier. What sort of data plan do you have? Another option is, forget the open wifi system the park offers. Generally speaking its useless to all but the first dozen or so that are lucky to get signed on. You can buy a mifi or what ever its called now from either Verizon or ATT. They I believe do have a month to month plans that you can get. Remember streaming movies can eat up a lot of gigs of data in a hurry, so do a lot of research, educate yourself before making the plunge.
I don't have any plan for the USA. I live in Canada and will be getting some sort of pay by month plan when I get into the USA
I will look into what they offer in the way of a mifi.

Thanks for the information
Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Spectrum may already be wired to each site at the CG you sign up for month to month and rent the modem or bring your own.
Call the CG and ask.
garry1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
Spectrum may already be wired to each site at the CG you sign up for month to month and rent the modem or bring your own.
Call the CG and ask.
Thanks for that. I didn't think of seeing if the CG already has Spectrum for their cable TV.

Also thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

We use Verizons prepaid unlimited hotspot plan which is $65.00 a month. There is no contract with it but you do have to purchase a hotspot either from them, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. It has worked great for us to stream Netflix or Prime. We used it this past week at a beach house to stream March Madness from our home cable provider and again it worked very well.
oregonhiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #9

We use a Mobley 20$/month unlimited, no slow down from ATT. Seems to be working fine so far. Absolutely hate dealing with ATT though.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
We use Verizons prepaid unlimited hotspot plan which is $65.00 a month. There is no contract with it but you do have to purchase a hotspot either from them, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. It has worked great for us to stream Netflix or Prime. We used it this past week at a beach house to stream March Madness from our home cable provider and again it worked very well.
2nd this as the best option. Bought my model 7730l for $50 on ebay, a second battery $20 new original Novatel battery (battery life is not stellar) and waked into Verizon store to sign up fir the Prepaid Verizon Jetpack Unlimited service. The beauty of the plan is it's prepay so if you don't need it just stop the service then activate when you do need it.

$65 with autopay...no tax either on prepaid or at least i wasn't charged any.

The deal is pretty remarkable given we're talking Verizon. To me they are the EarthLink of the modern era...their billing methods are...curious.

Really happy with service and no longer have to tether to one if my phones to watch something on TV or a computer to the web.

The Novatel 8800l is the top mifi Verizon has but they are about $250 if you aren't a Verizon customer. I noted the plan is only $20/mo to add to your account and i think that mau include the 8800l (super fast a MUCH better battery life.)

The device is about the size if a deck of playing cards. You can drop it in a pocket, purse or...?? And have broadband all your own. There are several options to allow others to use you device. I like to set up a guest network (same device only not able to see your personal network.)

Im a 12yr Metropcs customer and this is better than any deal offered currently by Metro or T-mobile and i never know what the heck AT&T or Sprint have...i will though so i have several options on the trips.

I'll add this system is very straightforward to setup. Verizon store will actually configure it for you if help is needed.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We use a Mobley 20$/month unlimited, no slow down from ATT. Seems to be working fine so far. Absolutely hate dealing with ATT though.
i heard about Mobly for the first the other day...thinking if adding a multi-carrier device so i can just switch to a different SIM card.

Only heard positive about Mobley. AT&T service here is not good. Sprint is even worse.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklundin View Post
2nd this as the best option. Bought my model 7730l for $50 on ebay, a second battery $20 new original Novatel battery (battery life is not stellar) and waked into Verizon store to sign up fir the Prepaid Verizon Jetpack Unlimited service. The beauty of the plan is it's prepay so if you don't need it just stop the service then activate when you do need it.

$65 with autopay...no tax either on prepaid or at least i wasn't charged any.

The deal is pretty remarkable given we're talking Verizon. To me they are the EarthLink of the modern era...their billing methods are...curious.

Really happy with service and no longer have to tether to one if my phones to watch something on TV or a computer to the web.

The Novatel 8800l is the top mifi Verizon has but they are about $250 if you aren't a Verizon customer. I noted the plan is only $20/mo to add to your account and i think that mau include the 8800l (super fast a MUCH better battery life.)

The device is about the size if a deck of playing cards. You can drop it in a pocket, purse or...?? And have broadband all your own. There are several options to allow others to use you device. I like to set up a guest network (same device only not able to see your personal network.)

Im a 12yr Metropcs customer and this is better than any deal offered currently by Metro or T-mobile and i never know what the heck AT&T or Sprint have...i will though so i have several options on the trips.

I'll add this system is very straightforward to setup. Verizon store will actually configure it for you if help is needed.
I like the idea of this and found some inexpensive 7730I boxes on eBay as well.

Unfortunately when I go to the Verizon site and put in my IMEI number they say my phone is not compatible.
Being that my phone is a Huawei Mate 20 Pro I might not be able to get any hotspot service in the USA.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriff1954 View Post
I like the idea of this and found some inexpensive 7730I boxes on eBay as well.

Unfortunately when I go to the Verizon site and put in my IMEI number they say my phone is not compatible.
I'm not sure what Verizon site you're checking but the 7730L is most definitely compatible with the prepaid unlimited plan. That's what I'm using to write this post. Most Verizon reps don't know much about the prepaid plans and you may have to go to a Verizon store or at least spend some time on the phone with one who will listen to you.

After you've been told that you don't know what you're talking about, politely tell the rep to look up prepaid plan #28366. The rep I spoke with on the phone to set up my account actually thanked me for teaching him something he hadn't heard about.

Because the plan is prepaid it doesn't require a credit check which should make it perfect for Canadians.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I have a similar situation at a campground in Michigan where I spend several months a year. I would get the Spectrum Service for sure. Even if you can connect to the campground service, it will be slow and unreliable. The Spectrum account will be fast, reliable, and truly unlimited. All the other wifi and cellular options discussed here will have data and/or speed limits, even the ones that are touted as unlimited. I pay $45 a month for Spectrum-type service at my campsite, which is cheaper than the Verizon cellular, and is faster, more reliable, and truly unlimited. Even if the Spectrum costs a little more it will cover all your devices and is well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriff1954 View Post
Hello all

I have read a lot of threads about wifi and using hotspot devices.

I am not a wifi/smartphone savy person.

What I am wondering and hope someone can help me is that I am going to So Cal in the winter and the RV Resort I am staying at only lets you have one device for free on their wifi. They have told me that I would need to get a company called Spectrum to arrange for internet service if I want more than one device on the internet.

I will only be at the resort for 3 months before heading back home so I'm not to sure about having a internet service installed for 3 months.

I have a smart TV with wifi and chromecast, so I can send movies from my laptop to the TV. I also have apps on the TV , Netflix , that I like to watch. Also my wife will want to use her laptop and cell phone as well.

My question is, can I get on the resort's wifi with my smartphone and use it as a hotspot for the other devices ? I have a new smartphone that does have the ability to share.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Tags
wifi