Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
tvp

Exclamation Wifi booster system

Hi gang , was looking at being able to boost the wifi signal in parks and campgrounds that have ....wifi , so we can get strong signal in the RV.

Winegard makes a system called T RV wifi extender for 549.00 unit has 3 antennas on roof and a repeater / box in RV to distribute wifi

Any other tried and true systems that work , or do you get what you pay for .
Seen some devices claim same coverage for only 50.00

Help !!

TVP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

No matter what system you buy you have to remember that it just improves the connection from the wifi transmitter to your device . It will not speed up a slow campground wifi. 1 wifi with 100 devices is still 1 wifi with 100 devices.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

Wifi booster system

When we were beginning to outfit our coach for full-time living I considered a wifi booster. I settled on a cellular booster. This was based on the consensus that the wifi really sucks at many parks. For that I went with a WeBoost 4G-X
Old 09-03-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
tvp

There are several models from the same company
Weboost 4g retail at $ 436.00
Weboost Drive 4gx
And
Weboost connect 4g cell @ $ 757.00

Which one did you buy ?

Thanks
Tvp
Old 09-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #5

In my opinion why spend four to $700 on extending when you can get a wireless air card for $35 to 45 my friend who's a trucker put me on with this and I've been using mine for the last six months to stream movies and handle all my Internet needs it even has a guest option ..constant 4G speed and doesn't lose signal while I'm going down the road it just simply works and I pay 50 bucks a month unlimited gigs in fact mine has a permanent place in my coach and stays plugged in and since it's basically works like a cell phone you always have signal even in tough areas and you have the option to use the carrier that you want Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	175351
Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #6

After using a few different wifi boosters ourselves (and fighting for bandwidth within available park services), we decided to just bite the bullet and get our own air card. After shopping around our unit cost $89 and has a $39/mth. subscription fee for unlimited data. We can suspend service so we don't get a monthly bill when it's not in use, but have to make sure we call and "turn on" service at least twice per year.

Sure wish we'd had just done that to start! Overall; it's better service, cheaper, faster, and as secure as wi-fi can get.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PArrowV View Post
After using a few different wifi boosters ourselves (and fighting for bandwidth within available park services), we decided to just bite the bullet and get our own air card. After shopping around our unit cost $89 and has a $39/mth. subscription fee for unlimited data. We can suspend service so we don't get a monthly bill when it's not in use, but have to make sure we call and "turn on" service at least twice per year.

Sure wish we'd had just done that to start! Overall; it's better service, cheaper, faster, and as secure as wi-fi can get.

Agreed see I use my coach almost everyday so my internet gets used but I also have a month to month deal to so I can just not pay a month and no service but I hv my unit on auto payments as I use it but it's just the way to go for us rv'ers
Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:

Who did you get the aircard from ? , thanks
Old 09-03-2017, 05:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post

I ordered a at&t unit from a reseller (new) on eBay
And then I purchased a phone line with unlimited high speed from cricket wireless inserted the card into my new air card and six months later happy camper even got a free phone from cricket that I only now use as a tv remote for streaming my movies as my coach TVs have a Chromecast so the free phone actually worked out I use one to stream movies to one TV and I use my other phone to stream movies to the other TV that way if I have a guess they can watch what they want to watch and I can watch what I want to watch on the other
Old 09-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #10

Why boost campground wifi that almost always has very poor internet speeds? We've only been in 2-3 campgrounds over the past couple of years that had good to excellent internet service. We use a Mobley on AT&T or a Jetpack on Verizon.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
Why boost campground wifi that almost always has very poor internet speeds? We've only been in 2-3 campgrounds over the past couple of years that had good to excellent internet service. We use a Mobley on AT&T or a Jetpack on Verizon.

Yea those camp sights net suck from what I hear I never had the pleasure of using one yet when I started looking into that I immediately went out and got my Wi-Fi I didn't want to deal with that the stories scared me lol
Old 09-03-2017, 05:41 AM   #12

Our Aircard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
We got our aircard that's used in the motor home from AT&T during one of their promotional events. Probably top of the list of things to think about when purchasing one of these is that the coverage is only as good as that carrier's cellular (because ultimately you're buying cellular service for data).

Old 09-03-2017, 05:46 AM   #13

Quote:
We got our aircard that's used in the motor home from AT&T during one of their promotional events. Probably top of the list of things to think about when purchasing one of these is that the coverage is only as good as that carrier's cellular (because ultimately you're buying cellular service for data).

Bill & Pattie K

1999 Pace Arrow

2014 Jeep Sahara (toad)

Exactly lucky for me AT&T owns Cricket so I've been all over the states and haven't had an issue
Old 09-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went with a setup by Alfa Networks.

If you go to Welcome To Rokland. They have all the components.

Alfa AWUS036NHR v2 802.11n Long Range Wi-Fi USB Adapter & 5 dBi antenna
$28.97

Alfa R36 USB Wi-Fi Wireless Router/AP for AWUS036NH & AWUS036NHR
$52.97

The Router plugs into the wall or can be powered by an optional car adapter. The USB wifi adapter simply plugs into the USB port in the router.

You can add different antennas to have better gain if you want.

We leave our coach connected to the router all the time and simply change what source the wifi USB device is connected to. Home wifi, AT&T Mobley, campground wifi, etc...

No routing wires thru the roof...portable, you can take it with you in your car, to a hotel, etc...