Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WiFi Booster - - - Which One Do I Get?

I don’t know much about networking or setting up computers and want to have a great reliable effective wifi booster setup. If I pay someone to set me up locally with #2 listing below, will it be as effective in a signal input/output as the WiFi Ranger Elite Pack at $600. I know WiFi Ranger has a lot of options and extra information tabs, but chances are it will be over my head.

Here's the question:
A. After I install the product in my motorhome, and get someone to program it with #2 listing, will it be as good as #3 listing for connecting/sending signals?
B. Or, no matter what product I use, it will never be as good or reliable as #3 listing. Is the Ranger Elite Pack just heads above the rest in quality and performance?

Thanks Again in Advance for your help and suggestions.

1. JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
2. Ubiquity Bullet M2\8db antenna and Netgear WNDR4300 router
3. WiFi Ranger Elite Pack https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/49-elite-pack
4. RadioLabs - High Powered Omni WiFi Repeater Kit https://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/High-Power-USB-Repeater-client.php
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #2

I am at that point myself where I need to decide on a setup for communications and unfortunately there is no such thing as simple or this will do if you want to boondock or stay on the fringes.

Now I'm not sure if that's what you're planning but following your question I would answer it this way;
#1 Is the lowest most basic form of what you could get to function and you'd better be close to a signal source in order to receive and repeat around your rig for your purpose (I mean within a 1/4 mile or less and that may be stretching it if there are lots of trees and such) may need lots of tuning?
#2 Great system up to 2 miles range from source excellent broadcast range around your rig for multiple phones and laptops. Set it and forget it !
#3 Budget Solution that may be alright if you don't stray to far from civilization and need to feed only two or less computers at the same time.

I am still looking at for something with a bit more range like 10 to 15 miles or Satelite ?

Anyway this is just my two cents worth and I am NOT an Expert but a self taught well educated well informed consumer !

Best regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I, like you, know very little about networking and setting up repeaters. I did however purchase #1 from JEFA Tech (which is a local company for me and I was able to go there and see a demo). I am very happy with the results and have very few connection complaints now. I'd say it is 90% better than without a repeater.
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

MrMudstud-

Almost any combination of equipment will do the job. The real question is: Which equipment can do the job for you?

The WiFi Ranger folks have established a reputation of selling and supporting equipment that can be installed and used by people with limited computer experience. If you put yourself in that category, you should buy from them.

If you're like me- pretty self-sufficient in the computer and computer networking skill-set- then any one of the product combinations you list would do (along with some you don't list).

I don't have any financial interest in the WiFi Ranger company. I do own both WiFi Ranger Go2 and PepWave Surf SOHO routers. I chose the PepWave over the Go2 for our "big trip" last year because I liked the router configuration software better. Since I purchased the Go2, WiFi Ranger has released new software, of which I've read some positive reviews. When I get to setting up the data network inside our new-to-us coach, I'll update the software and test the Go2; maybe it will be traveling with us this year, instead of the PepWave.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Use existing cable?

Can the WiFi Ranger use the existing coax cable on a batwing antenna, or do you need to pull a new cable?
scooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter21 View Post
Can the WiFi Ranger use the existing coax cable on a batwing antenna, or do you need to pull a new cable?
None of the four systems listed above can use the existing coax. Items #2 and #3 require Cat5 cable running from the roof to the inside. #1 uses coax, but a completely different coax from RG6 or RG59. #4 apparently uses a USB cable from the roof to the inside.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

you can mount your wifiRanger on the front of the a/c unit on the roof and run your cable into the coach via the top corner of a slide, if you have that option like I did.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

WiFi Ranger Go2 and Elite antenna is probably the most powerful (1000mw on the Elite antenna) and likely the easiest to use. Support is outstanding. Most of the time you will only be on one of the screens for the Go2 selecting a good access point. Also the antenna is much shorter than the RadioLabs antenna (about 12" vs 52") which allows the Elite to be mounted to the roof, not worrying about lifting it up and down.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Why not just get a JetPack from Verizon and a big data plan? Simple.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another option to explore...and I'm not saying it's up to the performance of the models that you're looking at.

At the Tampa Super Show this year...there was a vendor selling the heck out of the Alfa Networks products. I actually found them at a really good price from an online seller in Gainesville, FL.

Rokland

The base product is a USB Wireless Adapter...

Alfa AWUS036NHR v2 802.11n Long Range Wi-Fi USB Adapter & 5 dBi antenn

This is capable of 2000mW of sending power...and comes with a small 5db antenna.

The adapter is then connected to the R36 USB wireless router.

Alfa R36 USB Wi-Fi Wireless Router/AP for AWUS036NH & AWUS036NHR

The router sets up a local wifi network within your RV for your devices to connect to.

If you want more gain (who doesn't?)...you can order a package that includes a high gain YAGI antenna, and a mini-coax cable to connect it all together...along with the USB wifi Adapter.

Alfa AWUS036NHR USB Adapter + 16 dBi Yagi antenna + 5m LMR-200 extensi

If you just want a little more gain than the included 5db...they have a 9db...optional antenna

Alfa 9 dBi gain (white) ARS-N19W indoor dipole antenna RP-SMA connecto

If you want it to be mobile...and plug into a 12v source...they have an adapter for the R36...

ACR-12 R36 car power supply adapter 12v for Alfa R36 router

I purchased all of these products to try out, along with a magnetic base mount for the whip antennas... I couldn't get the R36 to pass internet connection thru at first. I called their tech support, and the gentleman walked me thru the steps to take care of an IP conflict. It was caused by the fact that my home router uses the same IP address. He had me change the IP address on the R36, and it's working like a charm. Now we can move it out into the Motorhome, for some field testing. I'm excited to have this addition to our arsenal.

Just thought I'd throw it out in case anyone is looking for something not quite as expensive as the WIFI Ranger or Radio Labs options.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #11

Charlie I didn't see their claim for the Alfa AWUS036NHR at 2000mw of power but FCC regs are 30dbm (1W) actual power into an antenna and a max EIRP (effective power) of 36dbm. They do say in the ad they are FCC compliant which would be the lower power of 1w.

And the 16db yagi is a heck of a price.

Looks like a very price competitive system and good to hear they support what they sell. That alone earns them kudos.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got the JEFA to use and I can connect several pieces of equipment with it acting as a router as well. My computer antenna was very weak due to the MH being a metal cage. I mounted the antenna for the JEFA to my coach ladder as I was parked for a seasonal job--I had excellent reception. I could even play video games wirelessly. For a more mobile installation you can mount to the tv antenna and crank up and down as needed.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:15 AM   #13

I started a thread last week about wifi speed. I just never see anybody talking about this. Most of these units can and will pull in wifi from long distances and give you what looks to be a nice strong signal in your RV. I did find though that the first one I got cut the speed down by almost 90%. Speed meaning the speed of downloading information. So I returned it and now have another one coming, The Radiolab Omni 12.
Before I believe the Ranger is all the rage, people need to post what their download speeds are using it, as compared to what they are just reaching out to the wifi source.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #14

Tacking, answers from a couple of people on results are over on this thread which you started. I posted my WFR Go2 and Elite results.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wifi-...ml#post2946572