RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #1

We are staying at the Outdoors Resort Motorhome park in Hilton Head SC. They provide free unsecured WiFi. We have two notebooks. With my notebook I have no problem accessing all my favorite sites. My wife's notebook has a problem accessing any site that requires either a user ID and password.When she tried to log on it just sits and then times out. She can surf normally on unsecured sites. We have set the two notebooks side by side trying to see any differences in settings. BTW when her notebook is connected via an ethernet cable all is normal. We suspect a settings problem but just can't find it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #2

We are staying at the Outdoors Resort Motorhome park in Hilton Head SC. They provide free unsecured WiFi. We have two notebooks. With my notebook I have no problem accessing all my favorite sites. My wife's notebook has a problem accessing any site that requires either a user ID and password.When she tried to log on it just sits and then times out. She can surf normally on unsecured sites. We have set the two notebooks side by side trying to see any differences in settings. BTW when her notebook is connected via an ethernet cable all is normal. We suspect a settings problem but just can't find it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your wife's laptop is set for dial-up and is trying to dial a number that is un reachable.

At the top of the screen go to Tools, then Internet Options, select Connections, then click on "Never dial a connection." This should correct it.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Try and access the same secure site with your P/C. If the results are the same as with your wife's p/c, there is something wrong with the ISP the CG uses to access the Internet. The secure site sees the incoming message that is tied to the sending ISP. If for what ever reason, it doesn't like the sending location, it will not allow entry into the secure side of the site. I have had this problem many times. When I move to a new CG, everything works okay.

Can you find out and post here, who the CG uses as its ISP?

FLYTYER, I hope you are correct. It would be the simple and easy solution. For me this was not the cause.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #5

Thanks Flytyer and GaryKD for your responses. Flytyer the Internet options are set correctly. Gary, The two notebooks will access unsecure sites in the same manner, however when my wife tries to access a site ie: Hotmail or any other site utilizing a user ID and Password, her's hangs up and eventually times out. My notebook will function normally. As I mentioned when connected vis eithernet connection her pc functions normally

PS The park won't say who the ISP is
Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Are both P/Cs using a firewall? If so, are they the same firewall? What firewall are the P/Cs using?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #7

How do you connect to the parks wi-fi with an Ethernet cable?
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #8

Gary, we are both using Zone Alarm Firewall with the same settings

Bill; The park has a Rec Room with an ethernet connection available to those without a WiFi pc
Old 02-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #9

OK, so that confirms that the problem is related to your computer and it may be difficult to determine where if you are not familiar with networking.
If you are you should go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Communications>Netwo rk Setup Wizard.
You will need to select that the computer connects through a gateway and continue through the wizard. Let us know what happens.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
JRP

Accepting everything you describe at face value, the only variable left is your wife's wireless connection properties. Its hard to imagine any setting in there creating the issue you describe, but if its using some 3rd party wireless utility software anything is possible. Is her wireless connection setup via windows builtin wireless setup wizzard or some 3rd party wizzard that came with her wireless adapter?
What you describe is much more likely to be caused by her ZA firewall. Even if you say the settings are the same, there is much more burried within ZA than just its option settings. These kinds of symptoms are frequently caused by how the user responded to one of the many previous warning/question popups from ZA. In its "firewall" zones list, it may have gotten assigned "trusted" to the wired connection address and "blocked" to the wireless connection address, or some similar difference for specific web sites, based on what she clicked on when those ZA connection & site spefic questions initially popped up.

hard to guess at these type issues remotely, those are all I can think of.

Jim
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I am not familar with Zone ALarm. Turn off the wifes's P/C firewall. Then try to log onto a site that has failed in the past. If she can log on then the firewall is the problem. If the problem remains with no change in the sympton, we will try something else. If the problem remains, turn the firewall back on.

At this point in time, I agree with Jim, the best guess we have right now is the firewall.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #12

Gary, I disabled the ZA firewall and the problem still exists. I should mention that everything worked at one time. Something has changed. She can surf traditional web sites that don't require an ID and /or password. Since she has previously registered with Hot Mail, her ID & password are already entered. When using an Ethernet connection all is OK. It must be something in her wireless setup
Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
This is based on the assumption you have XP as the OS and have more than one choice to run WIFI. As an example, I have:
1. Intel ProSet Wireless
2. MS Client
I use #1.

Determine if you have more than one WIFI choice try disabling the interface you now use and use the other choice.

If you have only one choice, see if there is a button for returning the program to the factory defaults.

If you use the Intel Pro/Set Wireless, open this program. Click on properties for any profile.
On the left side of the dialog box, click on security settings. In the middle of the dialog box there will be and Encryption choice. Make sure it is set for 128-bit.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar problem after I installed ZoneAlarm. Outlook Express worked fine before ZoneAlarm was installed but I could not send email afterwards although I could receive it.

I tried disabling ZoneAlarm and a lot of setting changes but finally gave up and had to uninstall it to get full functionality back.