Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

WiFi Extender Advice

This is a fairly technical post regarding how to have a single integrated coach WiFi system.

I have a TP-Link TL-WA7210N. I've been working with computers and networking for longer than I care to admit. I've some basic, yet detailed, networking questions.

I have a standard Router. In some places I'll get Time Warner (Spectrum) or Comcast if I'm there for a couple of months. I still work and I need connectivity. I have some wired devices and some wireless devices. I'd like that device to be primary since it has a fixed SSID and I can configure the DHCP, DNS, NAT and firewall/DMZ. For example I have a file server, a printer and a media device.

This all works great when I'm on a paid service but when I have to use my cell phone or a local WiFi those are separate connections points and not connected to my existing infrastructure.

I do have a jetpack for when the cell phone is the right answer. I haven't started looking into tying the jetpack into the router, but I guess I need to think about that too.

I would like to tie the TP-Link Extender into the existing router but I can't find a configuration for that. "Bridge with AP" seems to be the closest. I'd like it to be a strong directional receiver that then feeds the signal, over Ethernet cable, into the existing router. Essentially a feeder for the coach WiFi system so that I can be connected and still have access to my local resources.

Has anyone done this? If I had different equipment could I make it work? I'm probably overthinking this. I usually do. :-)

Thank you for any suggestions.
Just4Fun20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

You lost me a bit on some of the technical stuff, but have you looked into the www.wifiranger.com
Old 12-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Just thinking here...you might be able to set it up normally and just plug it into the WAN port on your router but I'm like 80% sure you'll need a crossover cable.

But I've slept (a couple of times) since I needed a crossover Ethernet cable...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #4

So I run an Asus (sorry mobile so can't look right now) router that has USB and Ethernet WAN connectivity. It supports wan fail over and fail back. I have it connected via USB to the AT&T Mobley and then have it connected via Ethernet to a Ubiquiti Rocket that is mounted on the stairs, with 5' MIMO antennas. So the Rocket connects to home/campsite/hotspot wifi and that is primary. If I drive away and the WAN can't get out for 90 seconds then it rolls over to the Mobley. If I pull up at a wifi location it checks the internet and then rolls back over. It honestly isn't perfect, but with about 15 devices on WiFi it keeps them from trying tons of access points.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
So I run an Asus (sorry mobile so can't look right now) router that has USB and Ethernet WAN connectivity. It supports wan fail over and fail back. I have it connected via USB to the AT&T Mobley and then have it connected via Ethernet to a Ubiquiti Rocket that is mounted on the stairs, with 5' MIMO antennas. So the Rocket connects to home/campsite/hotspot wifi and that is primary. If I drive away and the WAN can't get out for 90 seconds then it rolls over to the Mobley. If I pull up at a wifi location it checks the internet and then rolls back over. It honestly isn't perfect, but with about 15 devices on WiFi it keeps them from trying tons of access points.

I have some of these you’ve listed. Question:

My Mobley seems to disconnect if traffic isn’t flowing for a certain time period. I have to recycle the plugin. How do you handle this?

Does your Asus (brand please) only hook to an open access point? What about all the other points in a campground that are locked? Does it just ignore?

Thanks.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

Ok, back at the house so let me break it down with some actual hardware for you.

The router is actually this guy:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/
It is a bit pricey for what it is, but honestly it just works really well. It also runs a VPN back to the house and I run a Synology on both sides that keep my backups and cloud accounts all synced up.

On my ladder is this guy:
http://a.co/bCLHK4s
I ran shielded ethernet cable from the ladder thought the bays and up to where the router is. It plugs into the WAN port and is on a different subnet so that I can reach the management interface even if it isn't currently connected to wifi. It doesn't have a list of wifi SSIDs to try, so when traveling somewhere I have to tell it to connect the the campground if I want to use theirs. What I use it for a lot is if we are somewhere remote I can actually make it an AP instead of a client and we can get wifi signal to communicate of a pretty large area.

Attached to the Rocket are two of these:
http://a.co/5buT8i8
Yeah . . . Complete overkill, but I can get some SERIOUS range. The are mounted lower on the ladder but can be raised up to the top if I need the extra range.

As far as the Mobley timing out, really what probably makes mine stay up is that I have the Magnum Webview module. It is constantly sending out a signal to update my stats and that little beacon probably keeps it from disconnecting. Now one thing you could do is set the Asus to ping to keep the gateway open. I assume you already logged into the Mobley and turned off the power save feature.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks drivintin for the update. I have pretty much everything you listed except my Rocket is the single antenna one. Well versed with the RTAC69U. Got two at home used between two buildings as AP and extender, talking on 5G band with devices on the 2G band. Works excellent. This gives me excellent ideas for the coach. Thanks again and sorry Just4fun20 for hijacking the thread a little. Safe travels.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

It sounds like you need a mobile router. That what I use and it functions as the one-stop-shop for my private network no matter the internet source.

Here's a guide with details about them along with an overview of features:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/routers
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

I was traveling but I'm back.

Thank you all very much for the replies.

No worries on "hijacking the thread" it was all great information.

Have a great day.
Just4Fun20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

I use wifiranger. Seems to do most everything needed for an integrated system in the motorhome.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun20 View Post
This is a fairly technical post regarding how to have a single integrated coach WiFi system.

I have a TP-Link TL-WA7210N. I've been working with computers and networking for longer than I care to admit. I've some basic, yet detailed, networking questions.

I have a standard Router. In some places I'll get Time Warner (Spectrum) or Comcast if I'm there for a couple of months. I still work and I need connectivity. I have some wired devices and some wireless devices. I'd like that device to be primary since it has a fixed SSID and I can configure the DHCP, DNS, NAT and firewall/DMZ. For example I have a file server, a printer and a media device.

This all works great when I'm on a paid service but when I have to use my cell phone or a local WiFi those are separate connections points and not connected to my existing infrastructure.

I do have a jetpack for when the cell phone is the right answer. I haven't started looking into tying the jetpack into the router, but I guess I need to think about that too.

I would like to tie the TP-Link Extender into the existing router but I can't find a configuration for that. "Bridge with AP" seems to be the closest. I'd like it to be a strong directional receiver that then feeds the signal, over Ethernet cable, into the existing router. Essentially a feeder for the coach WiFi system so that I can be connected and still have access to my local resources.

Has anyone done this? If I had different equipment could I make it work? I'm probably overthinking this. I usually do. :-)

Thank you for any suggestions.
what do you do with the TP-Link TL-WA7210N? It is primarily an outdoor Access Point although you do have some router modes.

You said you had another router. Do you want to use the TP-Link TL-WA7210N as the WAN connection for that router? Does your other router have it's own wireless?

What is the TPLink Exrender you referred to? Is that the TP-Link TL-WA7210N Access Point?

When you say " I'd like that device to be primary since it has a fixed SSID..." what device are you referring to?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #12
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a setup similar to what you're trying to do. It's effectively a "fixed" internal network that preserves the same SSID, DHCP configuration, etc for all of my devices. I then just "plug in" the connection source based on what I'll be using (i.e., campground Wi-Fi, cellular, or satellite).

This typically results in a double NAT, which some hardware will complain about, but the primary issue with that (UPnP doesn't work) is not a problem for me and the benefit of not needing to change much configuration is a lot more valuable.

Internal Network

My hardware for this is a bit beyond the needs of most, but because I am a software developer, I have some unique requirements. That said, equivalent components will be a part of any similar setup.

At the edge I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X. This is configured with one WAN port and the remaining ports in a switch configuration. I chose it because I like their hardware, it is low in power use, and I have devices that are hardwired.

Connected into this is a UniFi AP AC Lite. This provides the wireless network I connect all devices to. It is plugged into the PoE passthrough port on the EdgeRouter, so both end up powered by the same DC PoE power injector.

Anyone without my requirements could get similar functionality with virtually any home WiFi router/access point combo, though those are typically AC powered with a wall transformer.

Campground Wi-Fi

For this I have a Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 (the 2.4 GHz model) that attaches to an external mast. I can point this towards the campground's access point location, and it functions as a bridge (i.e., it connects to their SSID and outputs an ethernet connection I can plug into my inside network's WAN port). I assume this would be roughly equivalent to your TP-Link device, though I don't have experience with your model.

Cellular

I have two carriers: Verizon and AT&T. For AT&T I use a ZTE Mobley and for Verizon I currently use a phone's hotspot, neither of which have an ethernet output. This requires using a similar approach to the campground Wi-Fi option, but I use a lower-powered TP-Link TL-WR710N for that in bridge mode (it connects to the cellular device's SSID and outputs an ethernet signal that I can plug in).

Satellite

This functions identically to a home DSL or cable modem. It outputs an ethernet signal I plug in, so the only setup needed is the dish positioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Network.png
Views:	66
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	185410  
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
My Mobley seems to disconnect if traffic isn’t flowing for a certain time period. I have to recycle the plugin. How do you handle this?
There's a sleep time setting in its configuration web page. You may need to disable that.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
There's a sleep time setting in its configuration web page. You may need to disable that.

I checked and turn off time after car power off (sleep)was 0. My lease time is 24hrs. That might be it. Tomorrow I’ll check and refresh the lease and see if that does it. Thanks.

Tags
advice