RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

WIFI Extenders

Does anyone use wifi extenders such as wifi ranger or winegard extenders. I would like to know if they really work.

gdeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #2

To answer your question directly, Yes the range extenders work as advertised, but when you extend nothing you still have nothing. Last evening I was in the Campground at Barns Crossing, Tupleo Ms. At 6:00 their network was nearly acceptable. By 9:00, I gave up and turned it off.

I have traveled over 100,000 miles, visited hundreds of campgrounds and tested the WIFI everywhere I stopped. As I was a network developer before I retired, I have a Cradlepoint router inside my coach for local WIFI and a 100BaseT connection to a Uniquity Bullet on the roof with a multi-mile range. I have tested the WiFI Ranger and found it lacking in security, but have not tried the Wineguard system.

I have given up on extenders, even my own home brew system!. I have found only two campgrounds with a WIFI system worth reaching out to get. In every other case the first coach that arrives tries to stream video and sinks the entire campground. The only time the system has reasonable access is from midnight until 9:00 am the next day. All the rest of the time the speed of the connection is so slow it is almost useless.

Next I tested multiple cell phone hot spots. I have tried AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. If you are in a big city, Sprint works and they have an unlimited offering that works. If you are on the Interstate, AT&T has a reasonable plan as well. Otherwise, the Verizon system has the best coverage, but their "Unlimited" Plan is throttled so slow as to be worse than the campground WIFI after you have used 15 GB in a month. I chose the Verizon unlimited plans. To avoid throttling I use multiple devices for internet access and switch devices after I have used my 15Gb. I connect these internet access devices to the Cradlepoint router then connect all other devices, Printer, Storage, GPS, Apple TV, etc to the router. This way can switch the connection in one place without changing the connection on all my other devices.

When traveling I tend to use 45 Gb per month. I am presently in a yard near Malvern Arkansas where I am getting about 6 MB/second upload and download with no other WIFI in the area. When I am near a large city, I get 20-30 Mb/Second up and down.

I hope this helps.

APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #3
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
I have tested the WiFI Ranger and found it lacking in security,.....
I would be interested in what you judge to be security concerns with WiFiRanger products. All our products utilize WPA2 encryption. Please elaborate on your concerns.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Pre-Paid Verizon Jetpack since Dec and have used over 100 gigs per month and haven't seen a throttled or slow down yet. Currently, I'm at the end of my billing cycle and last night I streamed two Netflix secession on two different TVs with well over 100 gigs of data used.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I would be interested in what you judge to be security concerns with WiFiRanger products. All our products utilize WPA2 encryption. Please elaborate on your concerns.

Joel (AKA docj)
Wow! By 9am somebody associated with WiFi Ranger has found and replied to a concern about their product!! That tells me that this company CARES about their products and customers. We need more companies like this.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:

Joel (AKA docj)
following
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #7

WIFI Ranger Security problem

Quote:

Joel (AKA docj)
The short version of the story is that the manufacturer retains a secret access to to the system which they they do not allow the customer to turn off. In addition, they do not allow the customer access to the workings of the system. In short they try to maintains security through obscurity and that is well known to be no security at all. I sent the unit back as soon as I discovered the problem. I do not run equipment that I am not allowed to operate in a secure manner. Further, I do not operate equipment that could be put out of operation by one disgruntled employee with no way for me to get it working again.

I discovered this problem by accident. I set the SSID of the external unit to the same string as the internal input. If you do that you can no longer control the external unit. I called support and they fixed it. I asked how and they explained they had a private access. I asked for the the password to use the access. They denied me access to my own router because it would "compromise security" The unit went back the next day with a request to let me know when they had installed some real security that the customer could control. So far I have heard nothing.

There was one non-security related problem with the unit as well. If you tried to use an Apple iPad running the latest software with the Hot Spot feature turned on as the Internet source, the WIFI Ranger somehow screwed up the Hot Spot feature so the iPad had to be power cycled to get the Hot Spot feature to work again. I was trying to discover why that happened when I discovered the security problem and returned the unit.

This should all be documented in the company records as I had many lengthly e-mail exchanges with customer support and included a multipage description of the problem with the returned unit. I have never received a reply.

On the plus side. All my interactions with the company were pleasant including the eventual return of the unit and my money. All I paid was the return postage. I can easily state the customer service was as good as I have found.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
The short version of the story is that the manufacturer retains a secret access to to the system which they they do not allow the customer to turn off. In addition, they do not allow the customer access to the workings of the system. In short they try to maintains security through obscurity and that is well known to be no security at all. I sent the unit back as soon as I discovered the problem. I do not run equipment that I am not allowed to operate in a secure manner. Further, I do not operate equipment that could be put out of operation by one disgruntled employee with no way for me to get it working again.
WiFiRanger maintains an encrypted conduit with its devices in a manner similar to that used for firmware updating for many web-enabled products. Virtually any device, such as a Smart TV, that suddenly discovers it has an update available has been notified by its manufacturer through a similar such conduit.

This conduit also allows our Customer Support personnel the ability to assist customers who, for example, have forgotten their passwords or have otherwise made settings changes that make their systems inoperable, just as they did for you when you created a problem by changing the names of your SSIDs. To put it into perspective, it's similar to how On*Star unlocks a vehicle when the owner has left his keys inside.

But having this conduit has nothing to do with allowing not allowing customers access to all of the features of the device. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you could have done exactly what the Customer Support team did for you if you had connected your laptop to the indoor router via Ethernet cable. They simply saved you the trouble of doing that. Furthermore, they were operating in accordance with our policies by not providing you access to the conduit in order to ensure that you didn't have the capability of interfering with the operation of other people's Rangers.

As for the device being put out of operation by a "rogue" employee, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Any changes made by anyone, either the owner or our support team, can easily be reversed by following the procedure for performing a factory reset which can be done with no direct access to the equipment.

WiFiRangers currently provide secure, reliable WiFi communications for tens of thousands of customers and are available as OEM equipment on many lines of RVs sold in the US. We're sorry that our products didn't meet your needs.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 AM   #9

Wifi Ranger

Does anybody else have an opinion on this as it is a lot of money to pay out is it causes problems.
gdeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:02 AM   #10

WIFI Extenders

I see it as a non-issue. The wi-fi ranger as stated is less intrusive as the cell phone in your pocket or tablet.

As to the original posters question, I use the Winegard extender and enjoy the results. As stated if the internet is poor it will still be poor no matter what extender you use.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
WiFi Ranger works well. I did purchase a new flag pole in Quartzsite a few weeks ago and am anxious to see the improvement once I make the modifications which will put the Ranger 22ft from the top of my coach
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
WiFiRanger maintains an encrypted conduit with its devices in a manner similar to that used for firmware updating for many web-enabled products. Virtually any device, such as a Smart TV, that suddenly discovers it has an update available has been notified by its manufacturer through a similar such conduit.

This conduit also allows our Customer Support personnel the ability to assist customers who, for example, have forgotten their passwords or have otherwise made settings changes that make their systems inoperable, just as they did for you when you created a problem by changing the names of your SSIDs. To put it into perspective, it's similar to how On*Star unlocks a vehicle when the owner has left his keys inside

Joel (AKA docj)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
I see it as a non-issue. The wi-fi ranger as stated is less intrusive as the cell phone in your pocket or tablet.
The poster does have a valid point and it's not comparing apples to apples in the examples given. It's more akin to having a user account on the device that supposedly only they know and it gives them admin access to the device without the user knowing.

A smart TV or other devices will check for an update via HTTPS or SFTP or other protocol using an outbound connection, not inbound. Most manufacturers don't have the ability to remote into devices without the buyer knowing. That is a security problem because if the account info gets "leaked" (if it hasn't already) on the dark Web, a person would have access to all devices until they are updated and so most vendors would not implement such a support structure.

I work in IT for a large hospital and if we were looking at two different vendors products and one had a backdoor account and the other didn't, we would choose the one without the account. I get the support points and what it can do but it's just an insecure implementation.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
The poster does have a valid point and it's not comparing apples to apples in the examples given. It's more akin to having a user account on the device that supposedly only they know and it gives them admin access to the device without the user knowing.

A smart TV or other devices will check for an update via HTTPS or SFTP or other protocol using an outbound connection, not inbound. Most manufacturers don't have the ability to remote into devices without the buyer knowing. That is a security problem because if the account info gets "leaked" (if it hasn't already) on the dark Web, a person would have access to all devices until they are updated and so most vendors would not implement such a support structure.

I work in IT for a large hospital and if we were looking at two different vendors products and one had a backdoor account and the other didn't, we would choose the one without the account. I get the support points and what it can do but it's just an insecure implementation.
Actually, it is difficult to imagine how this back channel could be maliciously exploited since it essentially involves a VPN with one its endpoints being the WiFiRanger server. Entering the VPN requires credentials that can easily be changed or revoked. It's not all that much different from using a commercial VPN service such as ExpressVPN which gives subscribers credentials which can be revoked if abused of for nonpayment.

I've spoken to WiFiRanger's CTO about this and he does expect to offer a switch that turns off the back channel in a later update of the firmware. He has been reluctant to do that previously this link is necessary for the device to know that a software upgrade is available and because we get a surprisingly large number of "help requests" from customers who have managed to "lose contact" with their Rangers.

One of the downsides of providing so many optional features to customers is that sometimes they change switch settings that they shouldn't. Not all that long ago, I assisted a customer who had turned off the Ranger's local broadcast and then wondered why he couldn't see its SSID! I didn't ask him why he had done it; I simply restored it for him.

Since WiFi Ranger provides free software updates for as long as your hardware can support the update, when this "switch" is eventually available it will be "retrofitted" to all of the current Ranger models.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #14

I have a Jefa Tech repeater since they came out. Back in the old days before everyone streaming, it came in handing and actually worked nice, but as mentioned above, hardly can find a decent WIFI worth trying to extend anymore as most of them are useless starting around dinner time.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi