RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

WiFi in the Motorhome

I want a router for the MH that I can connect to either the campground secure signal or my 4g hotspot. I see a unit called
WiFi on steroids from Camping world for $49 that seems to fit the bill.
I was about to buy the Peplink Pepwave surf on the go box for $119 but donít see the difference between the two boxes. Advice?

LucasOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

The CW gizmo is a wifi 'repeater' and can (with limited effectiveness) boost a signal from an existing wifi router to a laptop or other. I tried a similar device in my house; bogus.
Lots of threads here lately on an outfit called TechoRV. THey sell a wifi antenna / router combo that beats the price of WiFi Ranger. Or search for David Botts $100 wifi on Irv2.

The real issue w/ campground wifi is that you really need an external antenna to pull in the wifi signal. You connect this 'antenna' to any wireless wifi router inside your rv, the only issue is trying to make all the components talk to each other. That's why the pre-made solutions by TechnoRv and WiFi ranger (and David Botts) are the better route.

CW is not who I would go to for wifi info.

Good luck!

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out WiFiRanger.com. This device is made for RV's. More expensive but many more features.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #4

Thanks cruzbill, what Iím trying to do is have a secure box in the MH that all my devices are already configured to, and that ďboxĒ simply connects to the campground.. I donít think any extender or boost function is worth a darn. My experiences with bad WiFi in campgrounds rarely involves not being able to connect to their signal. The problem is their backend bandwidth.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
I want a router for the MH that I can connect to either the campground secure signal or my 4g hotspot. I see a unit called
WiFi on steroids from Camping world for $49 that seems to fit the bill.
I was about to buy the Peplink Pepwave surf on the go box for $119 but don’t see the difference between the two boxes. Advice?
I use a Peplink Surf Soho and have been very happy with it. I can tether my Iphone to it for 4G or use it with a Ubiquity Nanostation or just use wan over wifi to connect to the campground if the signal is strong. Very flexible. I have two Android media boxes running Kodi on a hardwired network that I feed with media from a library on a network drive attached to the router. The router and the network drive are both powered by 12 volts so I can use the drive to store photo's etc from my laptop, ipad, etc. whether I have AC power or not. Works very well.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is exactly what I am doing with the WiFiRanger GoAC. I have four devices connected via ethernet and the rest by wifi. The unit has free built in encrypted VPN which secures all traffic going over the internet. I am using the GoAC router to provide my own internal network which I never have to change. Laptops, printers, scanners, iPhones, AppleTV, TIVO, DirecTV Genie and a NAS all on my own secure router. I get internet access by way of either the park or my AT&T hotspot which ever works better. I connect to my hotspot on 5Ghz and my internal wireless network runs on 2Ghz. I stayed in a park last winter that had a fiber connection and I got 150Mbs speed all the time.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

Ron knows more about this stuff than me; peplink, backwidth; heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to use the FF on the VCR!
Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Ron knows more about this stuff than me; peplink, backwidth; heck, I'm still trying to figure out how to use the FF on the VCR!

Yeah, it gets pretty confusing to me. I donít care about hard drives, printers, flux modulators, etc. Just want to attach a few devices to a box that supports WiFi Security which they all seem to do, even the cheap $49 WiFi on Steroids box.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #9

Ron mentioned one thing that may tip me toward WiFi Ranger; he said it comes with VPN, so that when you are sitting outside Starbucks, your WiFi will be encrypted both ways. Nice.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LucasOil-

I have a Peplink PepWave Surf SOHO (older model that what's offered now), and would not hesitate to buy another. Link is here.

If you want support from the manufacturer, buy a WiFiRanger offering. Link is here. I have an older version of their router that I keep as a backup unit.

Both of these units will do what you want- keep your internal devices configured to your coach's network, and connect that network to park WiFi or cell hotspot, as you choose, manually or automatically switching between the two.

In my opinion, the WiFiRanger software is easier to use.

I have not found it necessary to install an external router or antenna to receive park WiFi with the PepWave. If signal is poor, I use the Verizon hotspot. If I was in a park with poor WiFi for a long period, I'd investigate an external router or antenna.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LucasOil-

I have a Peplink PepWave Surf SOHO (older model that what's offered now), and would not hesitate to buy another. Link is here.

If you want support from the manufacturer, buy a WiFiRanger offering. Link is here. I have an older version of their router that I keep as a backup unit.

Both of these units will do what you want- keep your internal devices configured to your coach's network, and connect that network to park WiFi or cell hotspot, as you choose, manually or automatically switching between the two.

I have not found it necessary to install an external router or antenna to receive park WiFi with the PepWave. If signal is poor, I use the Verizon hotspot. If I was in a park with poor WiFi for a long period, I'd investigate an external router or antenna.

Thanks! Good info..
Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LucasOil-

I'm looking at doing something like this too but not sure how. I
d like to tether my iphone to a wireless router and then also my verizon hot spot if needed. Will the Peplink Surf Soho do that? And is it easy to do? I'm not really interested in hooking up to a parks wifi as we will be moving around quite a bit but we absolutely need internet for work. Or is there another product to use? And tech support to set it up?
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can plug your iPhone directly into the WiFiRanger GoAC's USB port.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:20 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen View Post
I'm looking at doing something like this too but not sure how. I
d like to tether my iphone to a wireless router and then also my verizon hot spot if needed. Will the Peplink Surf Soho do that? And is it easy to do? I'm not really interested in hooking up to a parks wifi as we will be moving around quite a bit but we absolutely need internet for work. Or is there another product to use? And tech support to set it up?
Both the WiFiRanger and the PepWave Surf SOHO allow you to connect hotspots to their USB ports. Each has a list of "supported" devices that may be attached (links here and here). I have a Verizon MHS291L attached to the USB port on the Surf SOHO.

If you purchase the WiFiRanger they will supply tech support. If you buy the PepWave through the 3G store (link here) they can provide tech support.

In terms of ease-of-setup, the WiFiRanger is a bit better than the PepWave (in my opinion). I suggest you download the manuals (links here and here), review them and see if you think you can follow the instructions.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, wifi