Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You use the word "pair" to refer to connecting the units. I assume you realize that with a regular Bullet you can't use the pairing approach. On the Setup tab you should be using the line that says WFRBoost CPE rather than the WFRControl line. You probably know this but I wanted to make sure.

As I said in the previous post, our recommendation to people like yourself who have run into trouble with their Bullets is to make sure that it has the latest firmware running along with the Ranger's latest firmware. You can go to the Ubiqiuty site and download it. That won't by itself, solve your problems, but it will be a start.

Then I'd recommend you reset the Boost (not the WFR) to factory defaults with the reset button on the bottom, and then when you've verified that by logging into AirOS its running in station bridge mode, plug the Bullet into the WFR and let it configure. The WFR will automatically reset your Boost to a 192.168.250.20 IP. Insure you select the proper Ubiquity product, and it will work fine if this protocol is done. If you don't do this, and are still using the default 192.168.1.X network, you will continue to have issues.
Joel, yes, I am selecting WFRBoost CPE (Customer Provided Equipment), after having done a reset of the Bullet (held reset button in for 30+ seconds; saw the lights blink, then green power light on). I went to WFR setup tab, and select Boost CPE, but on the drop-down list to pick the Bullet, there is ONLY 1 Ubiquiti product. I select it, hoping that will work.

It does the config, and sets the Boost to 192.168.250.20. Do I make any additions or changes to that configuration? I would think not, but yet when I go back to the main tab, and scan for wifi using boost, it doesn't find even the 3 or 4 local neighborhood wifi sigs that I can see with the laptop. So something is not right there.

The other thing is once I reset the Ubiquiti, then tried loggin in to it directly via my network port on the laptop, I cannot get in. Do you happen to know the procedure? I thought setting my network card to static IP address 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.20 or 192.168.10.20, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, then entering the same address in the browser, would log me in. It doesn't, so I have not been able to update the Ubiquiti firmware yet. Will work on that some more today.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
sooooo close

I managed to log in to Ubiquiti, which BTW, is a "Bullet 2HP", so not an "M" model. The ownside to that is it will not work on 'n' protocol; only b and g.

I installed the latest firmware, so that is now upgraded sucessfully, and configured for factory restore.

Now the WFR, and here's where I'm brick-walled. Probably my incorrect config. I connect the Bullet to WFR's LAN1 using a standard CAT5 network cable, and also select LAN1 in the WFRBoost setup. But WFR is not putting any data in the IP address or subnet lines. I remember seeing 192.168.250.20 (I think), and subnet 255.255.255.0, before doing the firmware upgrade, but why is it not setting up properly now? So I entered the data below, manually.

WFR doesn't like the settings. What am I doing wrong?

Indian River, De
Old 11-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Joel, just got an email notification of your last post, but it doesn'[t seem to be here on the forum yet.

You said:
*************** "How are you getting power to your Bullet? Are you using a POE adapter? I can't remember much about the "black" WFR units but on all the Go's LAN5 is the "power out" port for POE. That's how I power my WFRMobile with my Go2."

Power for the Bullet is via a Ubiquiti POE adapter, which I bought with the Bullet 2HP.

My WFR has 4 LAN ports, and one WAN. I thought that it use to be connected to the WAN port, but the only way I can select that is if I uncheck the WFR WAN port option in setup. When I do that, I get a conflict error that 2 devices have selected the WAN port even though the WFR's use of that port has been disabled.

So I connected it to the LAN1 port as in my pic. It saves the config, but still does not get data from the bullet.

Thank you for trying to help me figure this out.
Indian River, De
Old 11-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #32
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
I managed to log in to Ubiquiti, which BTW, is a "Bullet 2HP", so not an "M" model. The ownside to that is it will not work on 'n' protocol; only b and g.

I installed the latest firmware, so that is now upgraded sucessfully, and configured for factory restore.

Now the WFR, and here's where I'm brick-walled. Probably my incorrect config. I connect the Bullet to WFR's LAN1 using a standard CAT5 network cable, and also select LAN1 in the WFRBoost setup. But WFR is not putting any data in the IP address or subnet lines. I remember seeing 192.168.250.20 (I think), and subnet 255.255.255.0, before doing the firmware upgrade, but why is it not setting up properly now? So I entered the data below, manually.

WFR doesn't like the settings. What am I doing wrong?

So you are setting a Static IP on the WFRBoost interface. You need to leave those "Static" fields blank. The Static IP fields are used if you want to present that to the upstream AP once bridged.

Once you try to configure the UBNT device, the WFR will log in using the username and password and set the appropriate settings. Assuming it succeeds, your UBNT device will be set to an IP of 192.168.250.20, which is different than its default of 192.168.1.20. Assuming you have a POE with the POE out going the outdoor device, and POE's LAN port going to the WFRs LAN 1 port (I'd use LAN 5 IMHO, as its the defined "standard" for external devices) then you should see the LAN port LED on that it is connected to. If not, you have no link, and start diagnosing that.

IMO, killing the static IPs on this page (The WFR intelligently figures out how to talk to it by creating it's own alias....) and then checking link, it should work.

As a final check, you might just hook your computer direct to the UBNT device after the config, (setting your computer to 192.168.250.21/24 or the like...) and log into it to see if it is set properly. Insure it is in station mode, and no other settings set. If no luck, you might have to log into it after the reset to factory defaults (remember it will be 192.168.1.20/24 and your computer as 192.168.1.21 or the like...) to set it's "Country" and accept the new agreement. It won't operate correctly until a human logs in first and accepts them. This is a good idea anyway to confirm the upgrade of the UBNT devices firmware.

I've exhausted my ideas....
aluminum03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, geez... hey aluminum; you should change your handle to Platinum, or Titanium. Thanks so much for jumping in here and throwing me that life ring.

This info makes sense, and is probably going to work. After the firmware upgrade, I did login again, selected country, language, and agreed to their terms of service. Then just looked around the various tabs, and the only thing I questioned, but did not change, was the power output, which was set to max (29dbm as I recall).

I thought maybe setting it to a mid-point of 20dbm might be good, given that I will often be in CG's and not need to transmit on max output, but that will be for later.

I am most anxious to make these changes, when I can get back into the RV tomorrow. I was about to buy a TCP/IP for Dummies book, (still going to), as I have such a limited understanding of networking configs. I am an old (really old) wireless communications and security guy, and have also done a lot of network hardware/wiring (commercial buildings), but no network software. I seem to know enough just to make a mess.

Really appreciate your help, sir. Thanks again.

p.s.: forgot to mention that on my (older style) WFR, I think the network jack, left hand side, looking at the back, is a WAN port. In the WFRBoost setup, the choices are LAN1-LAN4, or WAN (which is grayed out unless you uncheck WFR's use of that port.) So that is why Iam connecting to LAN1, & hoping that will work properly.
Indian River, De