Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wilson Mobile 4G Car Cell Phone Booster

How many of you have purchased a Wilson 460108 Mobile 4G Car Cell Phone Signal Booster Repeater & Antenna??

If so how did you install it and what is your review of it.

My RV has a non medal roof and I wondering if Pizza Pan glued to the top of my AC unit would work/

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using one for a couple of months and used the 3G version for a few years. I have had mixed success with the 4G amp, I don't know if the problem is Verizon, the Verizon Jetpack or the amp.

I spent the last week in a spot where I had mixed 3G & 4G with my phone but intermittant internet on the jetpack. Using the amplifier made it worse and I am not sure why. Perhaps it caused the jetpack to switch towers. Verizon tech support claimed the tower in Camp Verde, AZ had 4G for phones only and did not support jetpacks. I ended up tethering the phone to the computer which solved my problem.

Normally the only way to check the amp is to do a speedtest. Looking at the "bars" doesn't mean much data wise. I have seen a big increase in speed when using the amp most of the time, however in Camp Verde it did not. Most of the time when I need the amp there is no 4G nearby, the Verizon network is not nearly as complete as they would have us believe.

You only need a small piece of metal to act as a ground plane, I cut a circle of galvanized metal about 6" diameter and fastened it to the top of the TV antenna.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

I made an angle bracket for my magnetic Wilson antenna....drilled a couple of holes in it and used a couple of u-bolts and mounted it to my 5ver ladder. Works great and never remove even going down the road.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
YC1

The Pizza pan would work fine. Before going to those extreme measures try a small metal pan inside a cupboard. Since your rv does not have metal on the roof you may find it works quite well and you can move the thing around for the most convenience. Or get crazy and add a high gain antenna to your crank up antenna. That works great for me.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I stuck my antenna on the air horns of my MH and it seems to work. At a camp ground in woods canyon lake in Payson, AZ I had 4g and when not using it I just 1 bar on my iPhone, now my wife on a different carrier had no service at all. I think they work but it still depends on your location and provider, and it only boost a signal so if you have no service it won't help. Good luck!
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

I recently bought the Wilson 4G. Started out with the mag mount antenna on a pizza pan on top of 5th wheel. That worked but att signal was so weak that I needed more antenna gain. Have now installed a Wilson trucker antenna mounted to rail on top of RV.

New antenna seems better but has not yet been challenged in very low signal area. We shall see.

I mounted the booster with Velcro so I can move it to truck using mag mount antenna while towing. Might end up getting another Trucker antenna and mounting on pickup for times not towing RV.
RobCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

How has everyone run the cable from the external antennae to the inside?

John

2015 American Revolution 42G
John & Dorene with Lexie, Bailey, Brie (Bernese Mountain Dogs), Chloe (American Eskimo), and Ember (German Shepard Dog)
Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #8

I was able to mount the Wilson Trucker antenna for the Wilson Mobile 4G booster on a rail about 2 feet from the refrigerator vent on the roof of our Carri Lite 5th wheel. Ran the cable down the refrigerator vent and drilled a small hole down into a space below the refrigerator. From there another small hole gets the cable into a cabinet (originally for a TV) where I mounted the booster amplifier. Cables from the inside antenna and 12-volt power cable easily reach the amplifier unit.

Amplifier is mounted with velcro on the side of the TV cabinet. I wanted to be able to move the amplifier to my truck when needed, so didn't want to mount the it with screws. I made a mounting plate out of a piece of aluminum sheet about 5 x 7 inches. Amplifier is screwed to the aluminum plate and the plate has velcro mounting strips holding it to the cabinet.
RobCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:32 AM   #9

I have this type of antenna Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Home/Office Accessory Kit for Wilson Sleek, C-Boost: Cell Phones & Accessories and I have been sticking it at the highest point inside my window. It works great sometimes and sometimes I get the internet better without it.

Will it help any to put this outside and even higher? I was thinking about opening the window and running the cable outside. I don't want to drill or glue anything on my motorhome being I may be selling if I upgrade.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #10

My outside antennae cable slipped into the gasket for the slide.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCN View Post
Have now installed a Wilson trucker antenna mounted to rail on top of RV. New antenna seems better but has not yet been challenged in very low signal area. We shall see.
The Trucker antenna is not a 4G antenna so I would expect possible degradation of the signal.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernerDad View Post
How has everyone run the cable from the external antennae to the inside?
I drilled a hole in the side by the awning power cable.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #13

The problem with 4G amplifiers is that many many remote places, where an amplifier would be of help dont have and wont get 4G service for several more years. If you get an amplifier, be sure it will also work on 3G and 1X service. Otherwise your just wasting your money