Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #57

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Just downloaded Win10. So far, so good...but no ad block on MS Edge browser.
mine downloaded last night, actually 1 am this morning
made a few selections and firefox is still my browser, plus you have to turn off a few settings that SHARE the crap out of your online time

other than hiding my outlook and word....its so far so good
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #58

Suggest if you do upgrade that you do not opt for express install. That way you decide what to opt into on the privacy settings and what info you want to share. I'm a security fanatic, but see nothing that I see as a real issue. If you want to hear more, download latest podcast of Steve Gibson's Security Now.
I have another machine that I upgraded. It's ok, but still see no reason to change at this time. Will still stay with 7 on my main machine and wait, maybe til 2020.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I had Microsoft Store upgrade our Surface Pro 2 (Win 8) and the HP Pavilion (Win 7 & 6 yrs old). The Surface Pro was done in 1 hr. The HP spent 4 hrs installing and the techs spent another 3 hrs that day and 5 hrs the next day trying to get it to run. Would turn on to a black screen. They said there were 4 or 5 drivers not compatible. Finally I told them to revert back to 7.1 & took only 15 min. All's back to normal except BitDefender errors which I authorized them to disable/delete.

ONE BIG WARNING ... about Win 10 and using your phone as a hotspot. We had 5 gig left on our 15 g Verizon plan at the time and no wifi available. The morning after the upgrade, Surface Pro consumed 4.5 gig of data in about 4 hrs while I was using my laptop on & off (my cell as hotspot). We had to kill data on our 2 cell phones as we only had .5 gig to last us 4 more days in our billing month. Now we have good speed on cg wifi and I'm trying to figure out what is being uploaded to cloud or drive or dropbox or updates downloaded??? Prior to this, I was able to ration out our daily usage to about .5 gig per day and had full control of the Surface Pro data usage. Verizon gave me a complementary .5 gig data and said they've had a other reporting data usage issues with Win 10. Be aware!
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Suggest if you do upgrade that you do not opt for express install. That way you decide what to opt into on the privacy settings and what info you want to share. I'm a security fanatic, but see nothing that I see as a real issue. If you want to hear more, download latest podcast of Steve Gibson's Security Now.
I have another machine that I upgraded. It's ok, but still see no reason to change at this time. Will still stay with 7 on my main machine and wait, maybe til 2020.
An acquaintance sent this attachment in an email. Hope it shows up here in the clear as a link.
It details how to disable most of the intrusive data-sharing by Microsoft. I'd like your opinion of it's validity and effectiveness.
I'm going to wait until next year to switch to Win 10, as we have a year for the free download.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
i upgraded a few days ago, no clean install, works great. The only problem I had was that the new install may have changed my power settings and the computer would sleep after only five minutes, hibernate a little while after that. I confirmed the settings I wanted, made sure the power cord was plugged in and Windows knew it too, and rebooted, and all is well. All of the programs and all other settings appear to running well, and dare I say that my computer seems to be running just a small bit faster.

I'm pleased with how it went.

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite, about a year old, came with Win8, upgraded to 8.1 soon after I unboxed it, I'm not a computer professional but I know how to search for answers on the internet pretty well.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
mine downloaded last night, actually 1 am this morning
made a few selections and firefox is still my browser, plus you have to turn off a few settings that SHARE the crap out of your online time

other than hiding my outlook and word....its so far so good
I'd like to know what you did there. We upgraded a laptop and now it won't stream internet video (like HBO GO) at all. Constantly buffering.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
I upgraded a few days ago - numlock would not stay on , videos would just sit and spin,and slowed down internet browsing. I was not to excited about Edge and a few other problems I could not fix. Went back to 8.1 and all is well - I'll wait awhile and try again.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft | Ars Technica
Old 08-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #65

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For the record, I'm using Chrome on my Win10 upgrade. I didn't even have to sign in again after the install. Everything runs just like it did before: videos, music, etc. Even have solitaire back, which I use about once or twice a month when it rains (I haven't used it all this summer!)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As i understand if you are unhappy with 10 you have 20 days in which you can revert back to 7 or 8 at the push of a button in 10.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #67

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
As i understand if you are unhappy with 10 you have 20 days in which you can revert back to 7 or 8 at the push of a button in 10.
It's 30 days and it doesn't always work. It's much safer to make an image before downgrading to Win 10 and use the image to revert to 7 or 8.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #68

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Up dated both of our computers to 10. It is great. No problem with the updates and all of our software is working.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have heard that the free update to ten has been extended to include Vista equiped computers. Does anyone know if this is true and if it is where does one get the download.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #70

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding ad-block.. EDGE is still evolving and is now generally usefull but MSIE is still there,, You just need to find it (It should be in the full program list or you can choose RUN and type in Iexplore) Then Pin it to the quick start)

You can also use good old Firefox.. I know this for a Fact.

(This message composed using Firefox on Windows 10)

Tags
window