Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

Windows Mail Security question

I've been using Windows Mail for my e-mail service for several years with very little problem. Now when I try to send a message I get a box that shows: Windows Security
Logon to pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Please verify that both username and pass word are correct
for your mail server.
Ok Cancel

I have no idea what they are asking for or what I need to furnish. I know username and password for all the different forums I read but have no idea what this is asking for. I know very little about this Server stuff.

Any help here, if possible, will be greatly appreciated as I have 2 e-mails I need to send and it keeps saying as error has occurred and i get the above message.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

First question is is that your email provider? If not have you run a good virus scan lately?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I've been using Windows Mail for my e-mail service for several years with very little problem. Now when I try to send a message I get a box that shows: Windows Security
for your mail server.
Ok Cancel

I have no idea what they are asking for or what I need to furnish. I know username and password for all the different forums I read but have no idea what this is asking for. I know very little about this Server stuff.

Any help here, if possible, will be greatly appreciated as I have 2 e-mails I need to send and it keeps saying as error has occurred and i get the above message.
You've been infected by a malware virus. There is no way Windows Mail would have anything to do with Yahoo. You need to run a malware cleaner such as Malwarebytes.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

He could be pulling his sbcglobal.yahoo.com account through webmail. Done all the time. I think something is going on with his sbcglobal.yahoo.com account that needs attention. If you don't have this account then it is probably a phishing virus or something like that. If your "primary" provider is indeed sbcglobal.yahoo.com then you need to figure out what is going on with that.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
He could be pulling his sbcglobal.yahoo.com account through webmail. Done all the time. I think something is going on with his sbcglobal.yahoo.com account that needs attention. If you don't have this account then it is probably a phishing virus or something like that. If your "primary" provider is indeed sbcglobal.yahoo.com then you need to figure out what is going on with that.
My e-mail address is @sbcglobal.net. As I said before I know from nothing about how all this worked. I'm not even sure how I got this all set up when I first purchased this HP laptop 8 or so years ago.
I'll go ahead a run Malwarebytes and see what happens. Other than that I wouldn't have any idea how to figure out what else might be going on.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You've been infected by a malware virus. There is no way Windows Mail would have anything to do with Yahoo. You need to run a malware cleaner such as Malwarebytes.
Actually several large ISP's do host their mail with Yahoo, and many others host their mail with Google. So this POP setting is entirely possible and most likely is correct.

Roger
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
for your mail server.
Ok Cancel

This is caused by authentication problems between Windows Mail and your email server, and usually happens for one of two reasons. Other causes are possible, but in my experience these are the biggies.
  1. The email server is down or otherwise inaccessible at the moment. It's also possible that they are having authentication problems within their systems. In this case you just keep trying until it works.
  2. Your email password has been changed by another device, and Windows Mail doesn't know about the change. It's also possible that this is the result of your account being hacked.
In either case, you might want to contact your ISP (either SBC Global or Yahoo) to find out what's going on.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Actually several large ISP's do host their mail with Yahoo, and many others host their mail with Google. So this POP setting is entirely possible and most likely is correct.

Roger
That is SBCglobal's email server i am pretty sure. Somehow windows mail just forgot the password. This password is the password originally setup when you got your account with sbcglobal. Give them a call to get it reset.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 PM   #9

Within a couple days before I could contact anyone everything returned to normal after I ran the Malwarebytes program. Now almost a month later it's asking the same thing again, but this time the Malwarebytes didn't help anything.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
This is caused by authentication problems between Windows Mail and your email server, and usually happens for one of two reasons. Other causes are possible, but in my experience these are the biggies.
  1. The email server is down or otherwise inaccessible at the moment. It's also possible that they are having authentication problems within their systems. In this case you just keep trying until it works.
  2. Your email password has been changed by another device, and Windows Mail doesn't know about the change. It's also possible that this is the result of your account being hacked.
In either case, you might want to contact your ISP (either SBC Global or Yahoo) to find out what's going on.

Good luck!

Roger
Thought I was through with this nonesense but it has started again, and I'm unable to send any e-mails.

I've been advised to contact either SBC Global or Yahoo, but where or how do I get contact numbers to call? I'm not accustomed to trying to contact these and have no idea where to start. I use e-mail to send/receive but other than that I have no idea how to proceed.

I know there must be contacts but no idea where. I'm really at a loss here.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

Windows Mail Security question

I was "there" a long time ago.
Do a backup, wipe and reload the OS and apps raw, and don't click anything that looks tempting. [emoji6]
I've been using Yahoo since it was born. No trouble.
A good double firewall also helps.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
Actually, if your email is at sbcglobal.net then it is currently owned by att.net. You can contact them at 800 288 2020. They are in the process of disconnecting with yahoo so that may be part of your problem.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
Actually, if your email is at sbcglobal.net then it is currently owned by att.net. You can contact them at 800 288 2020. They are in the process of disconnecting with yahoo so that may be part of your problem.
Thanks for that number. Will give them a call. Seems like every time AT&T is involved nothing is easy. I've had Directv for years with no problems until AT&T took them over.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
UPDATE:
As much as I hate talking on the phone to C S people, and since everything else seemed to have failed, I broke down and called the above 800 number.
Amazingly I actually got ahold of someone who seemed to know what he was talking about. After an hour before supper and 1 1/2 hours after supper when he called me back and many different changes and tests now everything seems to be working good. It WAS the problem with Yahoo in the server's address. He eliminated that (in places I could never find again by myself), had me send e-mails to myself, and heaven knows what else he had me do but it all worked.
Thanks for the phone number.

Tags
window