Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Windows XP Photo download

I have an family friend and neither she or I are very computer savvy. The laptop she has is running Windows XP but doesn't seem to have any program that will allow her to download photos from her Verizon phone.
What should she be looking for for suitable software?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Verizon sells lots of phones... you need to provide the phone make and model for someone to assist you.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use Picasa on my windows XP to upload pics from my I-Phone and camera, then edit and organize them! Works great, and it's free!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
She should be able to email those photos to herself.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

She said its a Samsung flip phone SC4 or SCH if that helps.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
When the phone is plugged into the computer, does Windows XP recognize that it is a phone?

This may or may not be useful information for you but I will provide it in any case.

So, plug the phone via USB into the computer.
Go to "My Computer"
Look to see if your phone shows up in the list of devices (just like your Hard drive and DVD/CD drive). It will probably have the name Samsung on it. If it does you are in business.

You can go into that device by double clicking. You should see some folders. You are looking for one called "DCIM". This is the folder where all photographs are stored. (there may be some sub folders with funky numerical numbers) If you go explore around a bit you will find the photos that are on the phone.

You can select all of the photos by going "Ctrl A", then Right click on the selected photos and choose "copy" from the menu that pops up (use a left click to choose copy).
Then go to a folder of your choosing on your computer (probably my pictures) and press "Ctrl C". This will copy all the photos that you have selected and copied onto the folder on the computer.

It may not be as easy as the software method but it may be a quick hitter

The only problem that may come up is that XP may not properly recognize the device. It depends if she has ever hooked it previously, installed software for it. Newer computers would recognize it out of hand but XP may require a one time installation of some kind of driver in order for it realize that it is a phone. Worth a try however.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just for information. Microsoft has stopped supporting windows XP which means there are no new security patches sent out for this operating system. Your laptop is going to be vulnerable for Hackers. Make sure you have a very good backup of the information on the laptop. One of my friends had a business laptop hacked. He went to use it and saw a notice on his screen to pay 700.00 in bitcoins to get the unlock code. He called the virus protection company that he used. They had him pay 127.00 to get advanced protection then had up to 5 different people at one time logged into his computer to remove the virus. 7 hours later they gave up and told him to reload software. MOral of this story. Backup your data.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With most Smart Phones, and Non-smart phones, if there is a USB (micro or mini) you can simply plug in, You may need to download a driver pack but with XP it should show up as a USB drive without it (External disc)

The path is Phone, DCIM, Camera and then you can select the photos you wish to copy using CTRL-Mouse, or CTRL-A to select all, then CTRL-C to copy (or CTRL-X to "CUT") navigate to the target folder (Where you want 'em to go) and CTRL-V to paste

Or you can use drop down or right click menus to do the copy/cut/paste

That is how I did it in my eXtra Painful days, Now I'm doing 8.1, (8.1 has some nice features but basically more painful).

If it has not USB port.. E-mail them to yourself.

Tags
window