Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Winegard AS-2003 and Dish Network

We just purchased a used 2007 Class A that has a Winegard AS-2003 satelite system installed.

So a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to by doing searches on the forum.

1. - Can this sytem still be used to get DISH programming?
2. - What recievers will work with this?
3. - Is this a dual LNB system so I can drive either a dual reciever or two set top boxes?

I'm a current Dish Network subsciber at home, so plan on adding the required sat box(es) for $7 per month to my home account if I can make this work.
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swreeder70 View Post
We just purchased a used 2007 Class A that has a Winegard AS-2003 satelite system installed.

So a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to by doing searches on the forum.

3. - Is this a dual LNB system so I can drive either a dual reciever or two set top boxes?

I'm a current Dish Network subsciber at home, so plan on adding the required sat box(es) for $7 per month to my home account if I can make this work.
I had a 2003 but when I had problems with it I was told that the system was obsolete and had been replaced by another system. In my case I went to a SK-3005 (I have DirecTv) for HD capability. I contacted Wingard with my problem and they offered my an antenna out of the Loopstock inventory at 1/2 price. You might give them a call if you're interested.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

A - Yes, if it actually works.

A - Most any receiver.

A - Yes, out of the box, but it may or may not have been setup that way when it was installed.

Additionally, since this is a single LNB unit you will have to ensure that the programming you want to watch is coming from the same satellite. You will also only be able to select between 110 and 119 as 129 was not an option when the unit was introduced in 2003 so HD from 129 would not be an option.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. So I did a little experiment to just see if the AS-2003 would even attempt to work.

I grabbed a Dish 612VIP from the house, moved it to the MH, hooked it up to the dish, and powered everything on.

Good news is that the 2003 came to life and attempted to find satellites. So it appears that the gears, motors and GPS pointing system are attempting to work.

I did see as the dish was moving around that it did hit some signal strength, but never got a complete lock. My receivers are setup to Sat 77 for the house and I did not want to make any changes to it as this was only to see if anything attempted to function.

Before I go off and buy a 211K and attempt to set everything up any more thoughts or advice before I move forward?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

Another update, Decided to try and setup the 612K in the RV to see what happens. I reset the switch, ran a switch test and then put the dish into locate mode. After about 6 minutes, it locked on and I was able to download the interactive guide and see all the channels I get at home off of the Satellite at 119!

So with that said, I have ordered a 211K to add to the RV to give us yet another way to view TV when roughing it!! LOL

In answering my original post the AS-2003 seems to work just fine in my situation.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you ran check switch before letting the dish do its initial aiming. If you let the dish aim first, then run check switch, it should pick up 110 and 129 too so you get the full channel lineup.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #7

Dish network and wineguard

I purchased the winguard satellite dish and installed it myself, then the fun began as I called dish network to purchase a receiver and have a technician come out to my RV park and couple the two and enjoy the ease of cranking up my dish and setting back to enjoy the system. when the tech. arrived he spoke english through cuban, and while I went to the office at the park, he commenced digging a hole in front of my rv in the park for his own satellite dish. I returned as he was proudly packing the dirt around the pole. I pointed to my dish on my RV and with three spanish words in my vocabulary tried to explain that I ordered the receiver for my own dish. he said he couldn't change the order, only cancel it. I tried to explain that I ordered it for my dish, as he handed me the service number which I called the next day and talked to someone in the phillipines, who's english was worse then the cubans. but he did understand my request for another tech who spoke english, he arrived two days later and in perfect english told me they can't hook to any equipment but their own. so who did I wrong in another life to get this great service from Dish Network? and without an actual office or service department, I cant get a refund. buy American my butt!
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Their installers aren't trained to deal with RVs so we need to do some things ourselves. In your case, you could have just bought a receiver (anywhere) and connected it. Then, call Dish and activate it. Once you installed the dish, the installer wasn't necessary. At that point it's just a matter of connecting a couple of cables and activating.

As consumers in a specialized market (RVing), we need to educate ourselves and work around how they deal with the other millions of customers. They're used to installing at a permanent home. We're mobile and generally have our own antenna. With Dish, we can buy a receiver, connect it and make a phone call to activate it with no installer involved.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Glad the OP was able to get everything working properly.

FWIW, I can confirm that the ASC2003 is no longer supported by Winegard. When mine failed my extended wty company paid $1200 toward my new SK3005.

As I recall, the ASC2003 has some switches on the dish which have to be set for either Dish or DTV to pick up the right birds.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer33 View Post
I purchased the winguard satellite dish and installed it myself, then the fun began as I called dish network to purchase a receiver and have a technician come out to my RV park and couple the two and enjoy the ease of cranking up my dish and setting back to enjoy the system. when the tech. arrived he spoke english through cuban, and while I went to the office at the park, he commenced digging a hole in front of my rv in the park for his own satellite dish. I returned as he was proudly packing the dirt around the pole. I pointed to my dish on my RV and with three spanish words in my vocabulary tried to explain that I ordered the receiver for my own dish. he said he couldn't change the order, only cancel it. I tried to explain that I ordered it for my dish, as he handed me the service number which I called the next day and talked to someone in the phillipines, who's english was worse then the cubans. but he did understand my request for another tech who spoke english, he arrived two days later and in perfect english told me they can't hook to any equipment but their own. so who did I wrong in another life to get this great service from Dish Network? and without an actual office or service department, I cant get a refund. buy American my butt!
It's stupid isn't!!! Just let them install their hardware, run a cable through the window if necessary, and have them connect up their receiver/cables where you have the cables coming in from the Trav'ler. Sign the order when complete and send them on their way. Now you can disconnect their cable, connect the Trav'ler cable and sit back and enjoy the show.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ricko is correct, my dish had to be reset with the correct dip switches set for dish or DTV. Signals come from different satellites.
howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
It sounds like you ran check switch before letting the dish do its initial aiming. If you let the dish aim first, then run check switch, it should pick up 110 and 129 too so you get the full channel lineup.

I indeed did run checkswitch first, then went into the aiming setup. I have a new 211K on the way and will reverse the order to let the dish find the birds first, then run the checkswitch setup.

I'm also going to look at the dip switch settings to see if anything has been altered there. From what I can tell it looks like the satellite system saw little or no use from the original owners.

Will post back my findings once I get everything setup.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #13

Update: Purchased 211k, and got everything working with no issues. I did have to change the dip switches for dish setup, but once done it works as it should with no problems.

Tags
dish