Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Winegard Distribution Switch Not Working

Greetings, my Wineguard switch isn't working on my Dolphin. I'm now in the processes of tracking down the cause but I'm somewhat at a loss on the DC power aspect, the Wineguard unit is hard wired 12 VDC. This past summer I replaced the TV with an LCD, I have power for the TV I don't have a signal. I now have all of my batteries out of my coach, I have it connected to shorepower 120 AC. My question is do I need the house batteries connected to get the antenna and switch to work? I'm not sure the switched ever did work, I've had my coach for a little over one year and always had a problem with the over the air aspect. I have the DVD on RCA patch plugs it works very well, the over the air converter never did work for me, I'm not sure if the hard wire has a fuse I'll have to check this out.

Thank you for your time.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would consider dumping the switch box and getting a Winegard wall plate ( they call it a power supply) to power the amplifier in the batwing antenna. Then use the TV as the video switcher.
My Samsung TV has more than enough inputs for my accessories - VHS player, five disc DVD/CD/MP3 player, Blue ray player, and satellite receiver, plus the over the air input and external cable from the Winegard wall plate.
The only issue might be the rear TV if you have one.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The switch box is also the "Wall Plate" power supply.. or it should be.

Question: Do I need house batteries? Answer.. The Magnetek 6300 Converter will indeed require house batteries for that system to work properly.. (Or the optional battery simulator,,, Which I think is no longer sold, however which is identical to a "Hardening Condenser" from a high end automotive audio store, and those are easy to find)

Check for 12 volt OUT of the switch box.. Two places to check.

You will need, a short piece of coax F-Connector (Standard antenna connector) on one end, on the other end cut and trim so you can hook a voltmter to the cable. By short, six inches is way more than enough.

A "Barrel" connector (Double female) used to join two lengths of cable.

Step one, Disconnect ANT lead from switch box and replace with Test lead and meter the center wire should be POSITIVE 12 volts (relative to the shield) when the box is switched on and at least one ANT button is pushed.

Step two, Turn off and reconnect, topside disconnect from antenna and now hook up the test lead using the barrel connector.. have partner turn on and again you should see 12 v.

Better.. Use a test lamp (loads it)

If you have no 12v out of the box.. New box or add the Sensar Pro in front of it. (This is kind of a super wall plate,, I plan on doing that myself eventually)

If you have 12 volt out but not at the roof, you have a cable fault. You will need to narrow it down.. The cable FROM THE ROOF to the Antenna is suspect #1.. You can disconnect at the roof (Just peal back the caulking and you will find another barrel connector) and test there. If good, then replace just the visible cable.

If bad.. The one in the wall can be a female k-9 to replace.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought (maybe wrongly when I reread his post) that he has the Winegard video switch box which does have the antenna amp supply built in.
If not then he does need to remove the wall plate cover and see if there is 12 volt DC coming in and going out to the antenna.
Following is a picture of the rear of the wall plate. The two unlabeled wires are + and - 12 vdc.

When the button is pushed the LED should light and there should be 12 vdc on the coax connector labeled "Antenna downlead".
Remove the coax and check the center hole in the connector on the pc board for 12 v. This voltage goes through the coax up to the batwing antenna head amplifier.
If the LED does not light, there may be a fuse on the wall plate pc board you can check. There is one on mine.

Note that the unit also acts as a A/B switch. When the button is pushed (LCD on) the coax connector on the front side of the wall plate and the coax connector on the pc board labeled "Set two output" are connected to the bat wing antenna.
When not pushed (LCD off) they are connected to the external cable input in the service bay - labeled "Cable input" in the picture below.