Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winegard in motion satelite

We just installed a new RT4000 in motion satelite dish, upgraded the old CRT TV to an HD flat screen and hooked everything up to a 211Z reciever. We activated the reciever in the house as we have Dish network there also and works fine in the house. When I fire up the new system in the shop I get a complete signal loss warning, duh it's in the shop. Pulled it out, confirmed I have a clear southern sky from 12 degrees up to 90 degrees and turned it on again. Now it just hunts for a signal without ever finding anything, the unit just keeps spinning and searching.
Anyone have a clue what is wrong? Dish sent me to Winegard, Winegard don't answer the phone or return VM, at least yet.
AF4J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Did you set the RT4000 dip switches for dish network, and for the same sat arc set as your home ?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, yes did set the switches.
Winegard did call back and we made an appointment to trouble shoot Sat am. After about 4 hours on the phone trying various things we found the coax cable was bad. The coach was prewired for Satelite and I found the original wire and used it. Unfortunatly the coax had a staple driven through it shorting the outer shielding wires to the center copper wire.
Very impressed with Winegards technical help.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OUCH that can total the receiver (just so you know) Blow an internal fuse.

By the way I am not impressed with the coax many coach makes use either, I hope you ran RG-6 for the replacement.

What is the difference.. Well RG-59, (Average in both cases) has about 4 times the loss. Very short runs you might not notice, but using a DOME antenna in the Northern states.. you just might.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

Funny. Winegard diagnosed our problem as the same bad coax between the in motion dish and our entertainment center. Once replaced it worked occasionally but after repeated trips to the dealer for resolution and 8 months later Winegard replaced the entire dish.
Now it works but just when we think our location is free from any obstructions it chooses when it wants to work and actually find the sats.
The next time it fails I will be calling Winegard looking for compensation for 2 years of spotty service.
Sorry to say the in motion dish is not the best choice in sat dishes. Unfortunately for us it came with the coach we chose. Good luck to you and yours.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I also gave up on Our in-motion Winegard. Bought 2 receivers too... Am giving one to a buddy, as long as he promises me not to throw it back at me when he gets frustrated w it too!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I ran a new coax, should be RG6 since it was the one that came with the Sat kit, only about 4' long anyway.
Our hopes and wants for the in motion is for sat radio (only $100.00 more than the stationary model). The stereo has Sirius sat radio which requires a subscription fee, we have Dish at home in the house and shop. We droped the shop and added the receiver to the MH so should be no cost change for Dish. Since we hopefully can get Sat radio over the dish we can drop the Sirius subscription.
That's the plan anyway, hope we don't start off with all the issues you all have mentioned. Will find out in a couple weeks, headed to Coos bay for a week.
Thanks for the feed back!