RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I took KC to my company parking lot with a clear unobstructed view of the southern sky and no signal coming in from the dish antenna.

Don't know if its a loose cable, connection, bad LNB, or what, but I'm about decided to give it up, I'm not a full timer so, maybe will put it on the back burner for now.

Except it drives me crazy not having something functioning properly.

I do have an appointment with Blue Moon for diagnostic Wednesday morning, but gonna cancel it, too many other things going on right now to get this issue resolved.

I need a good satellite guy in my network of friends to prevail upon.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #16

Let me get free now I don't know the 211 but I have direct and a 6 foot dish going for true FTA

whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I forgot to mention when I was working through my issues: when I first began attempting to hook all this up, I had the wrong cable plugged into the receiver as the input (must've been either from the batwing antenna or the outside cable hookup, not sure which at this point). Make sure you check to see if there are any other cables back there. It should be an RG-6 cable, not an RG-59 (RG-59 is smaller in diameter than RG-6). I had the RG-59 hooked up a first. Once I found the RG-6, I was on my way.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are three coax in the cabinet above the driver chair, one of them had the nut/hookup on it, the other two have been torn off from the PO or the dealer removing equipment out of it, I assume. The one I hooked up to I thought was the antenna, at had a marking on it telling me that, but I'm not sure now.

Anyway, I will need to get one of those tools, that makes the coax cable connection to check all of them.

The batwing local antenna is over on the passenger side cabinet, and it works beautifully. Much better local stations since I installed the Jack TV head last year on it. I can get 32 some channels without even raising the antenna sitting at home. But the problem is, out in a CG or in Ks, there are no local channels that come in, that's the whole reason I wanted to get the satellite up and running.

argh
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I've ordered the Dish Tailgater as an auxilliary to use while the roof antenna is inoperable.

DISH Tailgater Satellite Antenna - King Controls VQ2500 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

CW also gave me a 25. discount from that price and I had another 35.00 in coupons available for use.

I can troubleshoot to see if it will work with the park/cable outlet in the utility bay, and I know it will work with the vip211K Dish receiver even if I have to thread it through the window temporarily.

I'll know for sure about the diagnosis on the roof mounted Winegard come mid August. Will keep y'all posted.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

What an idiot I feel like!

I bought the cheap compression tool, wire stripper, and new coax RJ6 connectors to fix those coax connections last week.

Went out Saturday morning and started fishing around to fix them and happened to look closely at the satellite in coax. It was loose ! The bare copper wire was barely coming out of the fitting

So I cut it off, stripped the insulation (got a 10.00 stripper tool) and installed the new compression fitting. What do you know? Dumb old me figured out what was wrong all along! So rather than continue with trying to see if the Tailgater would work plugged in to the utility bay park/cable outlet, I fired up the receiver again, cranked up the antenna and voila! I got the signal!

Activated the service (again) and downloaded the guide, talked to Dish and found out the DFW locals are on satellite 110. I was locked in on 119 but got several channels on the Dish basic service. Next weekend I'll install the 110 checkswitch, and should be able to get the locals.

Anyway, I'd ordered and received the Tailgater, but this is all I need so I didn't even open the Tailgater, will return it to CW this week. I was kind of debating on whether to keep it or not as it is far easier to plug it in and use it than the crank up, but can't justify keeping a 300+ toy right now.... even though I understand its so simple and you don't have to switch between 110 and 119 and 129 satellites, it does it automatically......will think about it...who knows.....man I hate temptations like that!

Anyway, that's all folks! I can't believe such a simple thing could cause me so many headaches......I know now that when the tech was out there and got a satellite on his meter, the fitting must have been on well enough then over time my screwing and unscrewing it from the receiver must have just loosened it up.

Diagnostic/Problem fixed!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! You are such a fix-er-upper, congratulations.

Someday I'll tell my story.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to hear you got it working.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
How I get er right first try most of the time with our manual roof antenna. Fine tuning needed but I almost always get signal the first time
1. Compass heading/printed numbers on dial do not cover 360 degrees. Use sharpie to make dot on fixed base at center of base at locking tab and 180 degrees on opposite side of base and center of locking lever tab. Closer to 180 the dots are the better your results will be.
2. Use compass, either hand held of smartphone ap and sight down side of RV to get degree heading of RV. Do it from which ever end of RV will give you a number you can use for rotating dial or you can subtract/add 180 degrees. Now rotating dial can be set very close for the needed north setting.
Once rotating dial set for as close to north as possible the rest is easy.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, manual, satellite