Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Winegard Outlet - New TV - Yipppeeee!

Have a 2003 Dynamax Carrie Go that has a Winegard Outlet in a cabinet by where the TV should go (say "should" go as there is not one now). Want to purchase a 19" TV/DVR combo that will work when plugged into shore power (air stations only) as well as using the Winegard Outlet for power when using my solar panels.

I understand how the TV works when not using shore power as it will plug into my 140W inverter inserted in the Winegard outlet. My question is .......... how is the booster antenna working with shore power if the TV is plugged into the regular electrical outlet?

Thanks for helping me understand....

Patsy
Boondocking in Sawtooth National Forest
Attached Images

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
YodaRules, if I understand you question correctly, the signal booster in the antenna gets it's 12 VDC power through the coax from the Winegard outlet power wall plate.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
YodaRules, if I understand you question correctly, the signal booster in the antenna gets it's 12 VDC power through the coax from the Winegard outlet power wall plate.
And that requires that 12V DC power be connected to the Winegard Outlet. (See the Winegard installation instructions.) That 12V comes from the battery. Hopefully the battery is being charged when you are using shore power.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
And that requires that 12V DC power be connected to the Winegard Outlet. (See the Winegard installation instructions.) That 12V comes from the battery. Hopefully the battery is being charged when you are using shore power.

I have solar panels out and most of the day I am full (floating) so I was thinking there is enough power to watch a little TV. Plugged my Schumacher 140W inverter in the Winegard outlet then plugged the TV into that. All seems to work fine (in Sawtooth National Forest so no way to pick up air stations). Hoping this setup is ok.

My question is..... when NOT using the Winegard outlet and house batteries and instead using shore power, I plug the TV into a regular house outlet (beside the Winegard outlet) to watch TV. How does that way utilize the antenna?

Hope I'm not too confusing........

Patsy

Old 08-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
YodaRules, we are taking about two different things. One is power for the TV if you are on shore power you can plug it into the wall outlet or use the inverter. If not on shore power you must use the inverter.
Now the other thing involved here is the antenna signal. Your must have a coax from the wall plate coax connector to the TV. Just plugging the 12VDC plug into the socket on the wall plate will not supply the antenna signal to the TV.
One other note to remember, there is a small push button and light on the wall plate. The light must be on for the antenna on the roof to work and must be off if you are connected to cable TV in the campground. This assumes you have a cable TV connection on the outside of you unit.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
we are taking about two different things. One is power for the TV if you are on shore power you can plug it into the wall outlet or use the inverter. If not on shore power you must use the inverter.
I am understanding now.....

Quote:
Now the other thing involved here is the antenna signal. Your must have a coax from the wall plate coax connector to the TV. Just plugging the 12VDC plug into the socket on the wall plate will not supply the antenna signal to the TV.
It's getting the antenna signal that confuses me.

Quote:
One other note to remember, there is a small push button and light on the wall plate. The light must be on for the antenna on the roof to work and must be off if you are connected to cable TV in the campground. This assumes you have a cable TV connection on the outside of you unit.
When I am in a campground that offers cable I run my outside coax cable to their connection. Inside I press the green light (there is a coax cable running out of the bottom of the Winegard Outlet to the TV. That works fine!

When not at a campground offering cable am left to antenna. I raise the roof antenna, push the green light and plug my inverter in the Winegard outlet then the TV into the inverter (when boondocking).

When using shore power, I raise the roof antenna, push the green light and plug in the wall outlet.

I guess I'm asking...... does the coax cable make a connection to the antenna from shore power or boondocking battery power?

THanks for everyone's patience as I try to understand the mechanics of my tv working.

Patsy

Old 08-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
YodaRules, OK we are getting close. The antenna booster is a 12VDC device. All 12VDC devices get there power from the battery. When plugged into shore power the converter (110VAC to 12VDC device) keeps the battery charged. When boondocking the solar panels keep the battery charged to a point depending on how much solar you have.
On most wall plates the light should be off to get the campground cable TV signal
Old 08-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
OK we are getting close. The antenna booster is a 12VDC device. All 12VDC devices get there power from the battery. When plugged into shore power the converter (110VAC to 12VDC device) keeps the battery charged. When boondocking the solar panels keep the battery charged to a point depending on how much solar you have.
On most wall plates the light should be off to get the campground cable TV signal
I think I have it..... I should always run my tv through the Winegard outlet using the inverter -- shore power or solar power -- with the green light on (unless cable then do not press the booster light in).

If I do not want to use the antenna, simply plug into regular wall outlet.

Is this correct?

Old 08-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
YodaRules, Does not make any difference whether you are using the antenna or not. Just use the Winegard outlet and the inverter.
It is a good idea not to leave the inverter plugged in when not needed has it always uses a little power.