Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #15

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Update -

I checked all the connections, all were tight and corrison free, and now am getting a signal reading fluctuating between about 56-92 which keeps a picture going in/out. Decided to wait till I got to a campground to check it again and now getting a strong steady 92. Maybe somehow the 4 highlines running down the alley which are sort of in the way of the direction the dish points is affecting the signal. But last year with the coach setting in the exact same position I had no problem with receiving a good picture.

Anyway now I know everything is working fine and I certainly appreciate all the suggestions and information furnished above. I've certainly learned a whole lot more about my satellite system and about the LNBs, which I never did understand much about.

Thanks again fellows for taking so much of your time to help me. This Forum has been an unreplaceable source of information for me, even better than the local library.

Glad to hear everything worked out! Now you can enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!!! Hope you have a blast!
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello All, I purchased the pay as you go Dish Network receiver last year and have had no luck at all getting the system to work. I have a crank up Winegard dish on my MH, have checked the coax for voltage at the dish and have voltage from the receiver. I took my receiver to a Dish network installer and had them update the files and still no luck connecting to a satellite.Is the process of locking in on a satellite so very tedious or am I trying to hard. Well the travel season is upon us and I'm willing to give it another try this season. Any Ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie 2000 View Post
Hello All, I purchased the pay as you go Dish Network receiver last year and have had no luck at all getting the system to work. I have a crank up Winegard dish on my MH, have checked the coax for voltage at the dish and have voltage from the receiver. I took my receiver to a Dish network installer and had them update the files and still no luck connecting to a satellite.Is the process of locking in on a satellite so very tedious or am I trying to hard. Well the travel season is upon us and I'm willing to give it another try this season. Any Ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Winnie,

First thing you want to check is what switch you have installed. To get to the point dish screen you will want to push Menu, 6, 1, 1. Then go to check switch and press select. In there you should have:

Port 1
Satellite X
Trans X
Device (should be blank)
Status Reception Verified
Switch None

SuperDISH and Alternate should NOT be checked.

If you have anything different than that displayed in the installation summary, then go here and follow the directions step by step.

DIRECTV and DISH for your RV - Receiver Setup Guides

This is a DISH step by step setup for a GM-MP1, but the crankup satellites will be set up the exact same way.

The aiming is very precise, for every quarter inch of movement down here on earth is about 18,000 miles in space where the orbital satellites are. It can be a little tedious, but not impossible.

If still having no luck, and you've aimed all you can with no signal strength, the only other thing it could be is a bad LNB. If that is the case you can always call customer support here at Winegard (800-288-8094) and order the new LNB. I hope this helps! Have a great day!

La Mar Timmons
Winegard Digital Communications
Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks La Mar for your advice . I will give it a go.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello All, I question for La Mar. I live on the east coast and for now do most of our traveling there, should I be looking for the eastern arc satellites instead of the western arc or does it make any difference. I've considered upgrading my dish from the older RM-46DE to a LNB-1000.2 with a dishnet oval reflector. Any thoughts on this conversion ?

Thanks
Peter
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #20

Two things to remember when you upgrade!
1) lnb & arm are longer -need room to fold down on roof
2) you have to get up on roof to set skew
I used it for 1 trip then went back to original
FWIW
Don
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #21

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie 2000 View Post
Hello All, I question for La Mar. I live on the east coast and for now do most of our traveling there, should I be looking for the eastern arc satellites instead of the western arc or does it make any difference. I've considered upgrading my dish from the older RM-46DE to a LNB-1000.2 with a dishnet oval reflector. Any thoughts on this conversion ?

Thanks
Peter

Peter,

If you are living/traveling throughout the east coast, the eastern arc satellites will be much easier to see because they will have a higher look angle than the western arc satellites. If it were me I would definitely be using the eastern arc satellites.

As far as converting goes, we highly do NOT recommend you do that. The bolt pattern on the reflector will not line up with the back-up frame. The LNB will not fit the feed arm, and it would be using the crank assembly for something it is not designed for. The RM-46DE is NOT a unit that can be skewed, so in most situations its going to be extremely difficult to get multiple satellites. Which is what I'm assuming you would want with that LNB and reflector. I would recommend staying away from that conversion.

La Mar Timmons
Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegard1 View Post
Peter,

If you are living/traveling throughout the east coast, the eastern arc satellites will be much easier to see because they will have a higher look angle than the western arc satellites. If it were me I would definitely be using the eastern arc satellites.

As far as converting goes, we highly do NOT recommend you do that. The bolt pattern on the reflector will not line up with the back-up frame. The LNB will not fit the feed arm, and it would be using the crank assembly for something it is not designed for. The RM-46DE is NOT a unit that can be skewed, so in most situations its going to be extremely difficult to get multiple satellites. Which is what I'm assuming you would want with that LNB and reflector. I would recommend staying away from that conversion.

La Mar Timmons
La Mar:
This is a link to the conversion kit
Amazon.com: RV Satellite Conversion Kit, get HDTV supporting multiple Tv's for your RV, by converting your old "Obsolete" Winegard Crank Up Dish RM-4600, RM DM46 to our new Dish Network HDTV 1000.2 Dish Conversion Kit. Best Quality for the Best P

I do not recommend it!
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
La Mar:

I recently had storm damage that now has landed my coach in getting a new roof.

Part of the damage also included the manual Winegard satellite dish.

Camping World is telling me it needs replaced. I am trying to figure out which domed antenna would be best to replace it with under 600.00.

I have the Dish Network vip211k receiver, that I had been able to track in to satellite 119 on by manually adjusting.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. I do not want one that has to have separate power for, just one that runs off the Dish receiver coax.

Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
La Mar:

I bought the Winegard Pathway X1 last June and love it's abilities and performance.

Winegard Pathway X1 Portable Satellite Antenna, White - Winegard PA-2000 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

However: Dear Cousin (DC Tina) sleeps out in the fold out sofa and on a trip to Athens in November she told me all night long she heard the antenna moving. We were parked and set up and I didn't hear it move the next day at all.

So I had to unplug the receiver to keep the dish from making noises at night. I did the same thing on the recent trip to Ks when she stayed as well, unplugging the receiver. I don't like to do that just so she can sleep at night. It doesn't bother me at all because I am in the back bedroom with the box fan for white noise and I hear nothing, only when she's up front sleeping.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why is it sometimes continually adjusting when nobody is even watching tv and the receiver is shut off?

Any ideas? This picture shows where the dish is mounted...at the front of the coach.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140705_110837_193.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	80792  
Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
La Mar:

I bought the Winegard Pathway X1 last June and love it's abilities and performance.

Winegard Pathway X1 Portable Satellite Antenna, White - Winegard PA-2000 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

However: Dear Cousin (DC Tina) sleeps out in the fold out sofa and on a trip to Athens in November she told me all night long she heard the antenna moving. We were parked and set up and I didn't hear it move the next day at all.

So I had to unplug the receiver to keep the dish from making noises at night. I did the same thing on the recent trip to Ks when she stayed as well, unplugging the receiver. I don't like to do that just so she can sleep at night. It doesn't bother me at all because I am in the back bedroom with the box fan for white noise and I hear nothing, only when she's up front sleeping.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why is it sometimes continually adjusting when nobody is even watching tv and the receiver is shut off?

Any ideas? This picture shows where the dish is mounted...at the front of the coach.

Thanks!

Lincolnboy2,

The antenna still has voltage to it when the receiver is powered on. If the receiver and coax is plugged in, you would still have voltage running to the X2. The X2 is going to continue to either get updates for your receiver, or keep adjusting to get better signal. An easier solution would be to unplug the receiver box from the wall outlet. Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks from not having a power cord is that you don't have an on/off switch. Depending on where your receiver power cord is plugged in, it may be easier to unplug it, rather than unscrew the coax.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegard1 View Post
Lincolnboy2,

The antenna still has voltage to it when the receiver is powered on. If the receiver and coax is plugged in, you would still have voltage running to the X2. The X2 is going to continue to either get updates for your receiver, or keep adjusting to get better signal. An easier solution would be to unplug the receiver box from the wall outlet. Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks from not having a power cord is that you don't have an on/off switch. Depending on where your receiver power cord is plugged in, it may be easier to unplug it, rather than unscrew the coax.
I see. That's what I was thinking as well. It is a difficult reach up over the steering wheel into that deep back of that cabinet above the driver's chair and hard to see as well. I don't like unplugging and plugging that receiver back in but yes it is much easier than unscrewing the coax.

Yes, this is a definite disadvantage to the X2. One that is irritating enough to me that I may put some sort of switch between the power cord on the receiver and the outlet like a rolling switch like a light or something.

Tags
dish, roof