RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my crank up dish with a Taveler and and it workes good. Used the old dish coax wire so the only wire was the control wire, easy job.
I ordered it from Solid Signal good price and it was shipped from Winegard about 4 days.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my crank up dish with a Taveler and and it workes good. Used the old dish coax wire so the only wire was the control wire, easy job.
I ordered it from Solid Signal good price and it was shipped from Winegard about 4 days.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which Traveler antenna did you install?? I have an older model Tracvision dome and am thinking of replacing it with the Traveler. Just cann't decide between three or five Lnb. Three Lnb is sufficient but maybe should goe with five for future changes in programming??
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi there

The decision on which "Travler" could be dependant on who your provider might be. If it is DISH TV then you can go with the 3lnb unit, but if it is DIRECT TV then I would recommend the 5lnb unit. Also it would depend if you want all the HD stations that DIRECT TV is offering that is only with the 5lnb unit.

We just had the 5lnb unit installed and it is great. I get all of our DIRECT TV programming that we have with our "stick home" no matter where I am out here on the west coast. I especially like the automatic functioning of the unit. Just push one button and the thing raises, sets all the proper pointing aspects and then finds all five satelites. It really looks good on the LCD TV in our MH

Good luck and enjoy.
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone hear about Direct Tv going back to three LNB antenna ( one of them would be ka band )after they get all their programming done?? I think I read about this on another board and was just wondering how true it was. If thats true wouldn't we need to change antennas again??
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have the 5LNB. how did you wire to the 2nd TV so that you can watch 2 different stations, since it cannot go thru the old switch box. i still liek to be able to use the switch box if by chance i have to use either the portable dish
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stubborn:
Anyone hear about Direct Tv going back to three LNB antenna ( one of them would be ka band )after they get all their programming done?? I think I read about this on another board and was just wondering how true it was. If thats true wouldn't we need to change antennas again?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have the 5 LNB, you wouldn't HAVE to change, you'd just have 2 LNBs that weren't being used.

It's my understanding that DirecTV will stop using 110 and 119 for mainline programming, limiting those spots to non-English and other specialized programming. Mainline programming would be on 99 and 103 (Ka) and 101 (Ku, original location).

joe
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Bob & Sherry (majfrizz)

To respond to your question on the second TV. It is my understanding that you will need a second receiver or DVR wired directly from the satellite antenna. The "Travler" is capable of handling 2 and possibly 3 individual receivers.
In our case we do not have it connected to the Winegard switch box. My installer stated thst this is not possible. There are other iRV2 members who might have more infor on this aspect. So since we do not have it connected to the Winegard switch box we retain all the capability of the box and the UHF connection to our TV's through the cable connector originally installed in the MH. All we do is set the "input" setting on the Main TV through it own menu system. HDMI when we use the satellite dish (on the main TV only) or UHF on both TV's when we can not get a clear signal from the dish. This might be due to campground situations. Since it is only my wife and I using the TV's and we have the same taste in programming, we made the decision not to add a second receiver to the bedroom TV. Infact we rarely use the bedroom TV at all. I do have it connected directly to a DVD player and we sometimes use that to watch a movie

As for the change of DIRECT TV changing back to 3 satellites, I have not heard about this. I find it interesting that they pushed all of their customers to change out their "stick home" antennas to the 5 lnb units and they may be changing back. "VERY INTERESTING" Just goes to show you that the whole satellite industry is constantly changing and nothing is "locked" in yet. I would agree with "FlyingDiver" that the 5 lnb units will still work including the "Traveler".

I hope this answers your question on how we use and have our unit set up. There are alot of additional threads on the procedures used in hooking up satellites antennas in MH's. You might use the "search feature" to see some of these threads.

Good Luck
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Guys/Gals,

I just had the Winegard Traveler installed, 5 LNB, antenna. Wow-- its great!. Takes about 2-3 minutes for acquisition. I hated to take off a perfectly good KVH Domed antenna system, but I wanted my HiDef reception Now!

I looked at the Motosat system but the Winegard system was about $500 less. I chose Camping World for the install and I bought the extended warranty. I can always find a Camping World for warranty work (if necessary) for my travels in the US. Mine was installed in Lake Wood, New Jersey. The install tech did a fine job in 3 1/2 hours.

I have two Directv receivers and two new 26" LCD HD TV's with built in Digital DVD players. The "Switching Box" is gone, as is the VHS/DVD player. See my post Here if interested, be sure to go to the end.

We both like similiar programing on some channels-- But not all the time.

Good Luck,
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003 Tracvision dome mated to DRD435RH rca receiver because it needs the data connection. Does anyone know if the 5LNB Traveler will work with this receiver until I upgrade my Tvs and receiver to get HD or do I need to change everything at the same time???
Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #11

I know the MotoSAT 5 LNB dish will work with any receiver as it is the Nomad that controls where the antenna points.
I believe that this is true for the Winegard as well as I have not seen any information that any specific receiver is required.
The days of needing a data port on a receiver was eliminated by "almost" all of the satellite antenna companies many years ago.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dish 500
Sorry it took so long to get back, been on the road. I stopped at a part on I-95 in South Carlonia mile 53 which had a large tree canopy and the travler would not work through the trees. Had it up at home and had some pretty high winds estimate 40 mph with no problems.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #14

I hate to say this, as I have been nothing but pleased with my Ka/Ku Trav'ler since install in early March, but I literally just went to put it up (if you don't allow your receiver to connect to the sat every few weeks it will disable itself) and I have a problem. The LNB arm stays snugged up against the dish, it never extends out. I tried three times, same thing each time. Luckily I'm at home and can get it in for repair/replacement before next months trip, but I would prefer no problems. Not to mention the $50+ in diesel it will cost to drive to CW and back.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote