Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Winegard traveler for Direct TV

With the Winegard trav'ler will I be able to record and receive DVD HD shows with the new style receiver box? Also when I see the receiver it also shows a mounting plate, is that be necessary for mounting the antenna?
What is involved in Mounting the new traveler antenna in place of the original Dome DirecTV antenna?
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Winnebago has a fiberglass roof. I called to ask them about the mounting plate. They said that it wasnt absolutley necessary, but they recommended using one, so I went ahead and got one. I believe that not only will it help the roof last longer, but give more stability to the antenna in high winds.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

The Traveler has a wheel that rolls on the roof when it is storing. The mounting plate has an area for this wheel to run on so it does not contact the roof. I take our Direct TV Genie from the house and put it in the MH when traveling. I can do anything with the traveler that I can do at home. And by taking the Genie with us we have everything that is recorded on it. I am not sure if I can record what comes in on the AM 21 OTR. I will find out on the next trip.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I also have a fiberglass roof and opted to use the plate. Helped to cover up the old holes and provides a spot for the wheel to ride. I had a divot worn I. The roof from a previous dish system.
Here is my installation thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wine...ll-286525.html

Steve
Old 07-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I just had a Winegard Trav'ler installed on my DS and we used the mounting plate. BTW it works great, I use Dish network.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
There is an install video here that you can watch to get an idea what takes place. This is the older SK3005, but the procedure is all the same, except you only need to run one coax now.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
With the Winegard trav'ler will I be able to record and receive DVD HD shows with the new style receiver box? Also when I see the receiver it also shows a mounting plate, is that be necessary for mounting the antenna?
What is involved in Mounting the new traveler antenna in place of the original Dome DirecTV antenna?
The physical installation of the antenna was easy. Running the required new coax through the roof was difficult. I had to take a few cabinets apart because there were so many 90 degree turns to navigate.

Trees are still an issue but the reception and operation is just like the house system.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

I recommend the mounting plate. I put one down then eternabonded it in place. Mounting the dish to the plate was easy and now I don't worry leaks or it blowing off the roof.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Right now my Dome antenna works fine after reading about fishing other wires through the roof I think I will keep what I have. Thanks everyone for all the good input..
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Right now my Dome antenna works fine after reading about fishing other wires through the roof I think I will keep what I have. Thanks everyone for all the good input..
When I installed the Trav'ler on my motorhome, I used the same coax that the single lnb crank up antenna used.

Tags
travel