Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #1

Winegard Traveler no low number channels

We are not receiving channels 2-70 on our Direct TV Traveler. We are seeing searching for signal on lower channels. We were getting all channels yesterday. Have done resets and checked cable connection, even cycled dish back to store and back on. Anyone had this happen?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
those are reserved for the local area channels.
Are you a full timer or part timer?
If you want locals, (which are spot beamed, normally a diameter of 150 miles), you need to call and request a SERVICE address change State that your mailing address remains the same.

You will need to remember if you has a S&B's, that location will loose it local channels, until you change it back.

I prefer changing my local channels based on where we are. I do not like the Distance network option. Some people will pop in and say well I am grandfather into DNS for east and west coast. WE CANNOT GET THIS. So why they keep mentioning the grandfather plan I have n idea. Unless to rub it in or to make it a big point. By the way, that cost an additional amount
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #3

We are in the spot beam for local channels. Anyway when outside of spot beam screen will say channels not available or not subscribed not searching for signal. Like I said it was working yesterday here at the same location.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Likely all those channels are beamed from one satellite. Are you receiving a strong signal from all satellites?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

We often get searching for satellite when outside our locals spotbeam. You said your in the spotbeam for locals. Is this the spotbeam and locals you are subscribed to? Does your Trav'lr show an asterisk next to all 3 satellites, 99, 101, 103? Some locals are on 119 and the Trav'lr does not pick up that satellite. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #6

Like I said before worked yesterday and Friday in the same location. Signal meter is strong, receiving 99-101-103.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
YC1

101,110,119 show on my travler for Direct TV.

Have you moved ? Even a foot or two? I have had tall skinny palm trees block one bird.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Nope and we are in an open field. Only movement we could have had would be jacks settling into ground but stowing and researching should have fixed that. Winegard says it is working properly, they are done with it. I would like to see a map of spot beams, maybe we are on the very edge.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
YC1

Are you using B-Band converters? Those inline little rectangular boxes that would be connected right to your receiver and then to the coax? If so, they can fail. I do not remember what birds they effect but it is just a quick thought.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Nope and we are in an open field. Only movement we could have had would be jacks settling into ground but stowing and researching should have fixed that. Winegard says it is working properly, they are done with it. I would like to see a map of spot beams, maybe we are on the very edge.
That was going to be my guess. One of our favorite CGs sits right on the edge of possible. The atmospheric gods dictate day to day whether or not our home channels are good or not, at least that's what I think is going on.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #11

After being on the phone with Directv and Winegard both were pretty much worthless. Direct kept saying that I was to far away and I kept asking why did it work for over 24 hours. She ignored me and never would give me an answer for that.

I did find out from a different source that Directv is doing something new now, they are using GPS tracking on some types of sat dishes. That might explain why it worked for 24 hours before losing it.

Direct did change my service address and now we are getting local channels where we are. Did not really want to do it for just a few days but wanted to see how it would work out.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Are you using B-Band converters? Those inline little rectangular boxes that would be connected right to your receiver and then to the coax? If so, they can fail. I do not remember what birds they effect but it is just a quick thought.
Thanks This setup does not use the b-band converter.

Found a map of spot beam and we are well within the outline of the beam.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
mine is a dome mount on the roof, This weekend we moved only 5 ft did not even put in slides or unhook electrical. and got locked on the sat.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

There is no GPS tracking on DirecTV or any other dish. Unless you saw it on the internet, then it must be true. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel