Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
There is no GPS tracking on DirecTV or any other dish. Unless you saw it on the internet, then it must be true. Chuck
You are the expert wait and see.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
mine is a dome mount on the roof, This weekend we moved only 5 ft did not even put in slides or unhook electrical. and got locked on the sat.
Thank you not sure how that helps.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #17

Dave,
I have followed this thread with a lot of interest because I have never heard of something like your situation occurring before. If I understand your situation correctly you never moved your rig, but service on the lower channels was there one day and not the next. That is very bazaar!

And very frankly, since you did not move in the 24 hour period mentioned and you had great signal strength on all three essential birds, most of the suggestions were well intentioned, but off the mark.

My first thought was that something went amok with your tilt setting. On our last trip I failed to set the tilt on one of our stops (which is the last adjustment I make) and some of the channels on the KA birds did not come in. It was not a consistent pattern like you experienced, but it did cause problems on some channels that we sometimes watch. As I disassembled the dish I noticed that I had inadvertently left the tilt at 90 degrees. (It was amazing what we got with that crappy setting.) I was reluctant to post that as a possible problem to your situation since you have an automated dish and that setting was probably OK.

Now that you have posted what resolved your problem, the only thing that comes to mind was that somehow (and I have no idea how) something went amok in your authorization. This can usually be fixed by logging on to your DirecTV account and "re-authorizing" your account. That is essentially what happened when you changed your service address and had things re-authorized.

I know it would be fun to think that DTV receivers had GPS units in them, but there is really no logical reason to do so. And they would not work in our S&B house since we have a steel roof and no GPS signal can get through and everything works just fine in the house. Your issue was either a bad tilt alignment or bad authorization. Given that changing your service address fixed the problem, I am going to assume the latter.

Like I said, you had a very bazaar situation. I doubt you will ever see that again.
Bob
Old 07-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I think the fact that your new local channels are different bolsters my assertion that you are at the very edge of the bubble of your home channels.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel