Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is an update on my LNB not working.

On Saturday I installed the new LNB unit to the arm of the antenna. It still does not work. I keep getting a LNB failure when I run the system test.

I do believe that I connected the coaxial's (4) in the order that they were on the old LNB but I am now second guessing myself on this fact. Can anyone tell me where each of the coaxial cables attach to the terminals on the LNB unit. See the attached diagram.

Any help here would be welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LNB CONNECTIONS.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	12625  
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #16

The connection ordering does not matter. Just in case you actually have a bad cable somewhere though I would swap the cables around (A-B, B-C, C-D, D-A) and try again. Do this twice if necessary. Let us know.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #17

Any updates?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Here is the latest update.

So far I have installed the new LNB and it still did not work.

I have tried the switching of the coaxials as recommended by Bill Adams and that has not worked.

I am now going to have the RV Service center that installed the unit back in 2008 take a look at the whole system. This will take place next week on WED Aug 10th. So until then I will be unable to pass on any more infomation. I certainly will update when I find out what has gone wrong and what the correction might entail.

Working via phone discussion with WINEGARD has not been fruitfull. This is not their fault but more of a matter of not being able to understand what they want me to do in checking cables and voltages. I am not a electronic wiz so I am going to let the techs do this for me. It will cost $ for the service but it has already cost me $150.00 (part & postage / handling) just for the LNB. Ofcourse if it turns out that the new LNB is bad then I will be able to recover some of that money.

Anyways that is the status as of now.
BILL
Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #19

Smile

OK, finally getting back to this issue. Received a replacement unit from Winegard, and got it unpacked, up on the roof and installed yesterday. Powered it up with my fingers crossed, and it worked. Found the satellites it needed in a matter of a few minutes. They are low on the horizon here, but not that low, somewhere around 20 degrees I think.

I put the dish down and called it a day. As you can imagine, I am a little gun-shy of it right now.

I still have no idea of what the cause of the problems were. The replacement units I received appeared to be refurbished. Perhaps a bad circuit board in the dish unit that didn't show up earlier...

I dont really think it was a power problem, but just in case, l powered up with the generator. I couldn't see anything that was obviously a problem with this one like rust or a stripped gear, etc. The first one did have some rust spots under it when I removed the unit.

Tech support was good, sent out replacements. We didn't really try to troubleshoot or fix anything, just replace it.

Someone posted a number to call and it was different from the number I had for Winegard, is the same office? I didn't call it.

Anyway, vacation soon, I'll let you know how thing work out.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hi Dan

Glad to hear that your new unit is working. I will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way for you.

My unit is "dead in the water". So far the installer has not been able to find out what is causing my unit to not work properly. Again it does not find the sat's for display even though the control box shows all the sat's with the * in front of the number. The control box is not showing any error message but I am not getting any TV. I am also getting a wide variety of errror messages on the TV. "Multi-switch has failed, LNB has failed, You have not purchased this station (even though this is on a local station). Nothing seems to make any sense since there is a wide variety of error messages.

Anyways my tech is still working on the problem so I have not given up just yet. My unit is one of the very first units installed back in 2008. I am of course past the two year warrenty on the unit, so I can not get another unit from WINEGARD without buying it for another 1500.00 + bucks. If that happens I am going to forget it and have the unit removed from the top of my MH. Have the roof patched and then just rely on the cable TV connections in the campgrounds that I visit.

Will keep you posted on any outcomes.
Bill
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkphotog View Post
Hi Dan

Glad to hear that your new unit is working. I will keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way for you.

My unit is "dead in the water". So far the installer has not been able to find out what is causing my unit to not work properly. Again it does not find the sat's for display even though the control box shows all the sat's with the * in front of the number. The control box is not showing any error message but I am not getting any TV. I am also getting a wide variety of errror messages on the TV. "Multi-switch has failed, LNB has failed, You have not purchased this station (even though this is on a local station). Nothing seems to make any sense since there is a wide variety of error messages.

Anyways my tech is still working on the problem so I have not given up just yet. My unit is one of the very first units installed back in 2008. I am of course past the two year warrenty on the unit, so I can not get another unit from WINEGARD without buying it for another 1500.00 + bucks. If that happens I am going to forget it and have the unit removed from the top of my MH. Have the roof patched and then just rely on the cable TV connections in the campgrounds that I visit.

Will keep you posted on any outcomes.
Bill
Bill,

I bought my 3005 out of Winegard's Loopstock inventory. It is antennas that have been returned from dealers because the owners didn't want them or they said they didn't work for some reason and were refurbished. It cost me 1/2 price when I bought it a year ago. I "qualified" to be able to buy one because I had an obsolete Wingard systen (AS-2003). You might give them a call if you decide to buy another.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hi Guys

Well I just wanted to give anyone who wants to know the latest update on my system and the antenna problem

I do not like to rant but DIRECT TV was the problem. Their receiver that was installed in my MH was the problem, not the WINEGARD TRAVLER 3005 antenna.

My tech checked out the whole system including the cableing, the antenna, the control box etc. Everything was working correctly. He took out the receiver that I had and and replaced it with their in house receiver. All error messages went away and the system worked.

So after informing me of this, I then contacted DIRECT TV to get a replacement receiver. I have instaaled the new as of today and everything is OK.

Here is the rant- The Direct TV tech that came out to my house should have spent some energy checking at least the receiver. He did not!!
So I had to spend close to $300.00 dollars for a new LNB unit (not needed), postage & handling, and labor with my tech just to find out that the receiver had gone bad.

I pass this on incase anyone else encounters the same problem. Check the receiver first befor changing out the antenna.

Bill
Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #23

Just to update the issue. Installed the new Travler. It works, even after using it a lot. Went from Alaska down through Oregon, Montana, and back home.

I don't know what the source of my problems was, but I have my suspicions. When I had failures, I was plugged in to a 15 amp plug-in. I now will not move the dish without being plugged into at least a 30 amp, or I run the generator.

I have seen nothing that says watch out for low power or voltage, and the company never mentioned it.

Anyway, the company has been good, and the Travler worked for us numerous times. Light tree leaves are OK, but a tree trunk still blocks the signal...

So, what I take away from this, watch out for low power/voltage situations with the Travler.

Dan
Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktnhog View Post
Just to update the issue. Installed the new Travler. It works, even after using it a lot. Went from Alaska down through Oregon, Montana, and back home.

I don't know what the source of my problems was, but I have my suspicions. When I had failures, I was plugged in to a 15 amp plug-in. I now will not move the dish without being plugged into at least a 30 amp, or I run the generator.

I have seen nothing that says watch out for low power or voltage, and the company never mentioned it.

Anyway, the company has been good, and the Travler worked for us numerous times. Light tree leaves are OK, but a tree trunk still blocks the signal...

So, what I take away from this, watch out for low power/voltage situations with the Travler.

Dan
Just out of curiosity. Do you have a surge protector that protects against high and low voltage?

Tony G.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #25

I do now...

Dan
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #26

I still think you had other problems. A 15 vs. 30A service would make no difference at all unless possibly with an air conditioner spike. I deploy mine 99% of the time on an inverter, but have also used the Honda 2000, QD7500, and all sorts of shore power. The 3005 does not require stiff power at all.

Either way it sounds like you finally got a good one.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I still think you had other problems. A 15 vs. 30A service would make no difference at all unless possibly with an air conditioner spike. I deploy mine 99% of the time on an inverter, but have also used the Honda 2000, QD7500, and all sorts of shore power. The 3005 does not require stiff power at all.

Either way it sounds like you finally got a good one.
You could be correct. I didn't think it was much of a power draw either. I wish the company would have told me what was wrong with the ones I sent back...

But for now, I'll stick with the working procedure.

Dan