Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post

I guess the limited market would make the cost factor too high.
How can it be a limited market? DISH installs nothing but EA setups on new installs on the east coast for at least 5 years. Many RVers never go to the west coast.
Many local markets don't offer HD locals on WA.

I bet if both the antenna builders were located on the east coast rather than the mid west, the solution would have been found years ago.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #44

So how many thousands of EA Trav'lers would Winegard be able to sell?

RVers represent maybe .5 to 1 million Dish subscribers and we can easily say that Trav'ler owners are not a high representation in that group.

Only Winegard can run the numbers and determine the market.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winegard needs to be up front about their Dish coverage in the east and northeast. Their sales literature does not state “will not work in the following regions....”.

They could design a dual LNB antenna if they wanted to.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #46

As I have said, I was getting the WA (minus 129) in Prince Edward Island which is a bit farther north and east of the Northeast. So now we are down to working in my words or your words.

The Trav'ler is a triple LNBF dish already. The engineering for a dual ARC system is absolutely possible, it just won't pay for itself. There are many who feel $1300 is too much to pay already.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We get the east coast feeds. We've been coast to coast over the last 8 years as well as far south as mid keys, as far north as North Dakota. We've never had a problem locking onto the sats or getting all the channels.

I have no idea where the notion that you can get too far from the sats ever came from.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Winegard Trav'ler

The western satellites just become lower in the sky the further east and esp northeast you get. If you can see them you get ALL the national Chanel’s , no problem. Some eastern cities HD locals are on the eastern feeds. That’s the only problem, if you must have HD.
The travel’r gets everything else everywhere in the country. Height from the horizon may be the only issue that makes a backup ( I have a pathway x2 buried in a storage bay ) eastern capable dish .. nice to have, but certainly not required.
Dish is much more friendly to RV.. I’ve had both.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Dish Travler and I have traveled across the US to Florida and up the East Coast to Maine. I received all of my West Coast channels except for a few that are spot beamed. I managed to watch all of the SF Giants baseball games in every State we were in.

I asked Winegard about the East Coast feeds and they said I didn't need them.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We get the east coast feeds. We've been coast to coast over the last 8 years as well as far south as mid keys, as far north as North Dakota. We've never had a problem locking onto the sats or getting all the channels.

I have no idea where the notion that you can get too far from the sats ever came from.

I agree with you, especially if you subscribe to the fact that the earth is round and rotating , the satellites orbit the earth right?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
As I have said, I was getting the WA (minus 129) in Prince Edward Island which is a bit farther north and east of the Northeast. So now we are down to working in my words or your words.

The Trav'ler is a triple LNBF dish already. The engineering for a dual ARC system is absolutely possible, it just won't pay for itself. There are many who feel $1300 is too much to pay already.
You must be right as you have all the answers.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
...snip

If I was getting a new one, it would be the R F Mogul. It costs a little more but is an overall better unit IMO.

If you are not in a hurry, come on up to the FMCA Rally in Gillette Wyoming in July and there will be several vendors there ready, willing and able to sell and install any Dish you want for a better price than $2,400.

There will be 2 satellite vendors at the rally. Neither do RF Mogul.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #53

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Eastern Arc on Travler 1000

1. To change a Travler to Eastern arc would require at a minimum - physically replacing the LNB array with the one that has proper spacing for the eastern arc, and the correct reflector. Then the programming in the IDU would need updated.

There is NO way to have one physical antenna do both western and eastern arc at the same time.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #54

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I agree with you, especially if you subscribe to the fact that the earth is round and rotating , the satellites orbit the earth right?
TV satellites are "Geo Stationary/ Geo Synchronous" meaning that they orbit the earth at the same speed the earth rotates, and therefore stay at the same spot overhead of the equator relative to a spot on the ground. If you travel east or west on the ground, you will eventually go far enough around the earth to block the line of sight to a "stationary" satellite.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote