RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winegard Trav'ler Install

I'm told my RV is prewired for the Winegard Trav'ler which not only includes wiring, but also includes a mounting plate on the roof. How difficult would it be to install the antenna myself? Is this doable or something I should not even consider?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
JDT

I installed mine with no issues. The antenna is heavy and I did have my son take it to the roof for me. Our Excel also had a braced area with a sticker that said to drill here. I think it was an inch and a half hole. The 2 RG6 cables were right there where it said. There was a close by cabinet with an electrical outlet designated for the power box. I had to drill a half inch hole for the control cable which was the most intimidating part. I just made sure I was over the cabinet as best I could as there was nothing marking that spot.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #3

FIRST, confirm that you do indeed have the wiring in place for the antenna. THEN go on to antenna install. Are you tech savvy? If not, getting everything to work can literally be a can of worms.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
I'm told my RV is prewired for the Winegard Trav'ler which not only includes wiring, but also includes a mounting plate on the roof. How difficult would it be to install the antenna myself? Is this doable or something I should not even consider?
I installed mine by myself. As said before, the hardest part it getting it up on the roof. I used an extension ladder and just pushed it up. With the pre-wire it's just plug and play from there.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Easy and I'm not mechanically inclined. Wiring (if prewired) is as easy as connecting the coax and plugging in the control box. There are You Tubes of how...of course. Do buy the big mounting plate as it makes for a better install. Pay attention the the clearances required to avoid hitting other things...its in the directions.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I made calls to both Vanleigh and Winegard to learn more about what's involved in the install. I thought that when Vanleigh said they had a mounting plate on the roof for the Winegard Trav'ler SWM antenna that the plate was on top of the roof and had predrilled holes that would align with the antenna base, but it's not. Their mounting plate is like a 3 foot metal plate under the "skin" of the roof. I would have to place the antenna over the plate and drill 9 holes in the roof. Not sure I'm ready to go there.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

Remember two things before you spend over a thousand dollars. Winegard Travlers are junk. In 12 years i had to have my Travlers repaired/replaces three times. Winegard does not offer anything other than factory service. Meaning you need to take the antenna system off the roof, box and ship it to them. Shipping along can cost almost 300 dollars round trip.
All roof top sat dishes require a clear view of the southern sky to get a signal.
I can count on my hand the number of times in 12 years I was able to use my Travlers. Your better off with a ground based antenna. One you can move to a clear view.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Remember two things before you spend over a thousand dollars. Winegard Travlers are junk. In 12 years i had to have my Travlers repaired/replaces three times. Winegard does not offer anything other than factory service. Meaning you need to take the antenna system off the roof, box and ship it to them. Shipping along can cost almost 300 dollars round trip.
All roof top sat dishes require a clear view of the southern sky to get a signal.
I can count on my hand the number of times in 12 years I was able to use my Travlers. Your better off with a ground based antenna. One you can move to a clear view.
I'll second this motion.......
Old 03-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RF Mogul makes a much better, more sturdy automatic satellite antenna than Winegard. Available for both Direct TV and DISH.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I've had a Travler installed from just about when they came out. No problems at all. It sounds like you enjoy camping in the woods. Why did you buy a roof mounted antenna? I like woods but can count on one hand the number of times I could NOT use my Travler. If I had to buy one today, I would go with RF Mog so I could repair mine myself, although it simply hasn't been an issue with my Travler so far.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I also have had good luck with the Travler so far. Only once could I not get a signal. I have used the eastern arc a few times.
Install was fairly easy and I ran all new cables.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #12

Going on 2 years with the Travlr--no probs yet. Do have to figure out the tree setup before making camp.

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install