RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Get a cell phone app that lets you see through the camera. It will let you see them in the sky, I've moved a couple of feet on site to get reception.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Get a cell phone app that lets you see through the camera. It will let you see them in the sky, I've moved a couple of feet on site to get reception.
Great information, do you have the app name per chance?

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The one I use is called DishPointer for iPhone. Available on the App Store. Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com for more information. It uses the compass and gps to determine site information. Default is to see all the satellites, but since I use DTV I eliminated from view all but the ones I want to see, 99, 101 and 103 to keep the view from being cluttered.

FWIW I've found that a few branches are OK but a few leaves are not.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I use SAToolz for DirecTV. It captures only the three sats used by DTV.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My wife wants me to install the Winegard Tav'ler on our RV because many of the campgrounds we stayed in the last couple of trips didn't have cable. One didn't have any reliable over the air channels either. Needless to say I took some heat since it was football season and she is a fanatic!!!

I have been reading a lot of the threads about the Winegard Trav'ler and note that many say you have to be careful of trees in the line of sight. Right now, our travels are constrained in distance to the east coast but ultimately we will be traveling the whole country.

Is the tree issue something that will limit the use of the dish when there are a lot of trees in the campground? I am wondering if I should delay installation until we can travel west where there are less tress to interfere or I am misunderstanding this issue. It is a big investment so I am trying to make a rationale decision. Have looked at the portables but my wife doesn't want to deal with that and prefers the ease of use of the Trav'ler.
You already have many good answers so mine is just another thought. I have been using my Travl'er for about 2 1/2 years now. Yes, as many have said, trees can be a problem. But the biggest problem is programming. As a sports fan you do have many choices so this may not be a big problem for you. With that said, have you considered internet TV? If you get a big digital plan you will actually be saving a few bucks. I don't know how easy it is to record programs this way. I have just started looking into this option. There is that chance that you may not have cell service, but if you are under the trees with no alternative your dish won't work either. Just a thought to the topic.

Rick Y
Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have been using my Travl'er for about 2 1/2 years now. Yes, as many have said, trees can be a problem.
Just buy a portable open-faced dish with a long cable run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
But the biggest problem is programming. As a sports fan you do have many choices so this may not be a big problem for you. With that said, have you considered internet TV? If you get a big digital plan you will actually be saving a few bucks.
I have a 40GB Verizon plan and would not recommend streaming on a regular basis.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tailgater, Dish 211 receiver, and the dishpointer app on my iPhone. Has worked well for us over the last 2-3 years.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #22

I have been using the Windgard traveler for years. I have gotten good TV reception in Alaska when others with a dome dish could not. There is a iPhone(maybe Android?} app that is very helpful in locating satellites and determining if there is an obstruction. The app is "SAToolz" for direct TV or DISH. The first thing I do when pulling into a camp site is to check SAToolz for obstructions on the satellites. I've then have the option of moving the motor home forward or backwards if needed or checking a alternate campsite for clear view of satellites. I also have a Winegard Carry out antenna that I use when I can't locate the motorhome in a good place. Google SAToolz for more information. I just returned from a four-month trip through the north east and only had to use the carryout in one location. The traveler will work even in a situation where just a few leaves are blocking the path to the satellites.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Winegard Travler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
With DirecTV and the Football package using a Genie.
Your wife can watch one game and record 4 others at the same time.

DirecTV uses the 99/101/103 satellites much closer together then the ones Dish uses.
So it is even possible in tree areas to get service.
I can't remember the last time I was at a campground and they didn't have site that would work for a roof mounted Trav'ler.

Plus if you do happen to get in one that the Trav'ler is blocked. She can watch one of the many ones recorded on the Genie.
We installed the Directv SWM Travler on our RV. We use the Genie and a Genie mini from our home along with the existing cabling to the rear tv to do exactly what this quote recommends. It worked great all summer as we traveled the northwest and southwest US. We only had to reposition once in that time. If you are a football fan you cannot beat it!
Ajwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #24

Thanks for all the great responses, I'm sure others that are interested will benefit from all your experiences.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #25
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
I have been using the Windgard traveler for years. I have gotten good TV reception in Alaska when others with a dome dish could not.
We've also been using a Trav'ler for many year (5 to be precise). If there is any concern about having satellite access at our site I let the Trav'ler hunt for a signal before we level and extend slides. Sometimes, just moving the MH a foot or two can resolve the problem.

As for using it in out of the way places, we spent three months this summer on the eastern edge of Prince Edward Island. It's not nearly as far north as AK but it is pretty far east and the satellites themselves are over the equator at longitudes that are roughly west TX, I believe. We had no problem at all getting reception on PEI, but we did have to settle for SD reception on some channels, the atmospheric losses were just too high to get all the HD ones especially on days when storm clouds were in the signal's path.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #26

Request the Eastern Arc for the SK-1000

I have used Winegard's Pathway X2 portable antenna which can access both Dish's western and eastern ARC. In my opinion, the eastern arc is a must for use on the east coast. Especially in New England. Here is the main advantage ---> OPTIONS! You have a much higher probability of being able to "see" at least one of the two ARCs. I do much of my camping in areas blanketed with pine trees. The key thing about the eastern arc on the east coast/ New England is the it is at a MUCH higher elevation than the western arc. Look at the elevation of SAT 129 on the western ARC in New England. It is way low on the horizon. With the SATs higher in the sky, it is way more likely that will get a clear shot to the eastern arc. Once again, why not have the choice? Even it you are in the mid-west or western states, you still have a choice. I love the Trav'ler SK-1000. You can use it manually with 61.5 on the eastern ARC but I think that most of the HD programming is on 72. Let Winegard know that you want the eastern ARC added to the SK-1000. Perhaps they can do it? Be the squeaky wheel. Ask, you might get a valuable enhancement to your system. Just a suggestion. Happy camping.
ncbeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #27

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I'm surmising here, but to convert an SK-1000 from western arc to eastern arc, I think three things would have to happen.
1. replace the reflector
2. replace the LNB
3. Reprogram the IDU to find and peak the eastern arc sats.

Of course, to switch back to western arc, those steps would need to be reversed.

This is my opinion based on my knowledge and lack thereof... not based on anything Winegard has said.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote