Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #15

Interesting, yesterday was the first time I saw that communication error. I just powered the controller down and the second time the Trav'ler seeked the satellites.

I would only suspect the controller, controller cable, or the Trav'ler. The coax cables have nothing to do with the controller box.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I have the DirecTV version of the Trav'ler. I got the "No LNB voltage" code on my control box, which sounds similar to what the OP is dealing with. I researched this forum first and found that this is a common problem and the small cable between the LNB and the turret was most likely the issue. I called Winegard and had a replacement sent. When I removed the original cable, I was surprised to find no visual evidence of corrosion or anything else that had been reported on this forum. Nevertheless, replacing the cable cured the problem.

I'm sorry the OP spent that money to send the turret back. I'll bet the new cable cures it, and Winegard should be shamed for not doing a better job of helping the OP diagnose his issue.

I don't know what they found during the "rebuild" or, as you say, maybe not needed. But, coaxial cables break down and fail. The reason very often is due to change in impedance that diminishes the signal significantly.
imUrlaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
When I had that issue, I traced it to the connector on the back of the remote panel. Redid it, and have since no issue.
Next, recently I did get the No LNB voltage, again, tech said to swap the cable. I have the email somewhere, but this got me to thinking.
The system is a stand-alone. Does not require a receiver to operator and lock on. I than realized how and why the tech instructed me to swap the small cables, in fact he suggested get 3 short cables (Purchase from anywhere) installed them. The system came up and I am still on those 3 standard cables.
Back to my story, as to why the system knows or Shows a "No LNB Voltage".

One cable is used to send a voltage to the LNB head, another cable is used to return that voltage to the control box, whereby, it will verify that the LNB has voltage. The system, has already verified that voltage is present in the remote and control box.
By using one cable, it confirms voltage on the return back to the box.

Hope this helps in trouble-shooting future problems
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art E View Post
I'll be short as possible. I have a Winegard Trav'ler SK1000 for Dish network. It has a two year factory warranty. At two and a half years the "box" gave me an error message "no antenna communication." ... I called Winegard and was told I probably need a new cable, and they gave me the part number. I am waiting for the cable now...
I have the same error, but no way I'm taking it down and mailing it to them. Rarely ever used it when it worked. I would be interested in the cable part number and where to order it from.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
TRAV'LER 25' Communication Cable Repair Replacement CL-SK06
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #20

Angry Cable Received, BUT

I received the cable which Winegard told me to get, CL-SK26. Happy? No. The connector on each end is suppose to be the same. On this cable, one end is fine, the other connector is different so doesn't fit anything. I am just sick about this whole damned mess.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #21

Quote:
I received the cable which Winegard told me to get, CL-SK26. Happy? No. The connector on each end is suppose to be the same. On this cable, one end is fine, the other connector is different so doesn't fit anything. I am just sick about this whole damned mess.
The CL-SK26 is an extension cable. A replacement cable is CL-SK06.

You were close.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #22

Another post showing just how bad and dishonest of a company Winegard is and what untrained CS reps they have.

If there was nothing wrong with the turret they should have put it back in the box and returned it telling you it was OK. And given you free return shipping and apologized for the poor diagnosis their tech gave you. I would be on the phone demanding a refund and if not calling your CC company to dispute the charge.

In recent years I have found you may as well ask the greeter at Walmart for the answers I have gotten from them. Very sad.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #23

I spoke with a Former Winegard Dealer that I called during my experience? with Winegard. He told me he no longer deals with them and refuses to sell their products any longer. His biggest beef was not being able to perform repairs. Everything had to be sent back.
As I said in my earlier posts, I can't believe they are still in business. The WORST Customer Support I have ever experienced.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
I'll be short as possible. I have a Winegard Trav'ler SK1000 for Dish network. It has a two year factory warranty. At two and a half years the "box" gave me an error message "no antenna communication." I called Winegard and the sent instructions. I had to remove the entire turret (35 lbs) box it up and ship to them. They made repairs and shipped it back, at my expense, total of about $550.00. So, I had to reinstall it.. Did I mention I am 76 years old? So I reinstalled it, hooked it all up, turned it on and received message on box "no antenna communication." I was beyond angry. I called Winegard and was told I probably need a new cable, and they gave me the part number. I am waiting for the cable now.

Why is it that Winegard doesn't have any local repair shops? The only way to get a Trav'ler dish repaired is to ship it back to them!

Also, they should have had me try replacing the cable first and if that did not work then go through the process of removing and shipping turret.

Even when I get the new cable I'm not sure it will fix the problem. I am 6 weeks into this project and down about $600.00.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I experienced the very same problem on my Direct tv dish. I called all the authorized repair people in the area and as usual no one was available for at least a month. The last dude I called was helpful and as I described the error he said it is almost always the communication cable on the roof. Also as usual he had no spare parts in hand. But with his information I (like you ) ordered the cable and fixed it myself.

So this is why we "fix" things ourselves. First, no one is available and unless you "camp" next to the place you bought from you can not get an appointment until next year. Second, finding the person with the exact knowledge when you need them is just luck. And third, you know your equipment better than anyone.

So do not waste time second guessing yourself. The frustration is that these type problems do not repeat themselves and your new knowledge is fairly useless.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #25

Problem Solved Finally

So, Winegard told me to ship the turret back (on their dime) and to include the cable and control box. Turns out it was the control box. I still say this is a hell of a way to run a railroad. Customers should not have to be doing this. Winegard needs to allow dealers to perform repairs.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #26

Quote:
So, Winegard told me to ship the turret back (on their dime) and to include the cable and control box. Turns out it was the control box. I still say this is a hell of a way to run a railroad. Customers should not have to be doing this. Winegard needs to allow dealers to perform repairs.
Glad to hear your back in satellite heaven again.

Nuff said about this company and how they conduct business.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
This is why I'm having a RF Mogul installed on Monday ... tired of dealing with Winegard ... and all the errors.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #28

When I have an out of warranty issue the first place I check for information is this forum. Almost any issue that comes up with the RV someone else has already had it and found a fix. The second place is the internet.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote