Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Winegard Trav'ler Satellite corrosion failure

I just had my Winegard Trav'ler fail. I thought it was a problem with the Direct TV connections. I had a DTV technician come out and check the system. He replaced the Reciever and re-did some of the connections. Everything in the RV checked out but it still wasn't working. He went to the roof and checked the connections on the Trav'ler. He told me that he found that the connections to the base of the unit were corroded and it had actually disconnected due to the corrosion. He couldn't work on it. Has anyone repaired one of these units? Is there a way to replace the connections without having to send the unit back to the factory? The Winegard internet site doesn't have a parts list for the Trav'ler and when I talk to them on the phone I get a run around. They say that I need to send the unit to the factory. Any suggestions? I have read as many of the threads on IRV2 Forums dealing with this issue as I can find. None of them gave me any hope that I could just replace some of the parts by myself.
Thanks for any input!
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Additional information

I have had the unit for three years. It was installed when I purchased the Monaco Diplomat in 2013. The Winegard unit was installed in California where I purchased the Diplomat. I live in Washington. It would be a little hard to take the RV back to California for them to look at the problem. I know that it was probably installed without using Dielectric grease. I will definitely use it when and if I can correct the problem.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #3

Don't know if these will help, but there were two manuals on their site for replacing the turret and the sheathed cables:

Turret Replacement

Repacement Sheathed Cables

Wineguard is very particular on sealing the base to the roof of the coach and states that corrosion will occur if not done correctly. Based on your description, might this have been the cause? (Their installation manual is on the same web site)
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wink

The connection is on the base but not what they wanted sealed. Thanks. I have been doing some more investigating. If I can fix the connection I will use 'Stuff' dielectric grease to seal the connection.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
YC1

Show us some pictures. I am an ET and probably can make decent recommendations.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdladder11 View Post
The connection is on the base but not what they wanted sealed. Thanks. I have been doing some more investigating. If I can fix the connection I will use 'Stuff' dielectric grease to seal the connection.
I have used dielectric grease in the past but I have found Another good product for this and a hundred other applications, is Boshield T9.
As the old lady in the Frank's commercial says, "I put that S$&@ On Everything"

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...words=boshield
Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Smile yc1

I won't be able to get up there for a little while. When I do I will post pictures, thanks
Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I'm interested here as well. Three years is way too soon for something like that.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Old 06-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Question update

I went up on the roof of my MH today. I disconnected several connectors and found one that had no center wire. This must have been the one the DTV tech was referring to.
[ATTAClick image for larger version

Name:	connection.png
Views:	181
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	130339CH]130338[/ATTACH]

Can I replace this or does it need to go back to the factory. If it was just the wire corroding, does that mean there is a piece still left inside the female connection. If so, how do I remove it? The following picture shows where the connection is located on the Trav'ler. I don't think I could replace the female without tearing the whole thing apart. If I can clean up the connections without removing everything, I think I could do it. Suggestions!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard corrosion.png
Views:	138
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	130338  
Old 06-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
It is easy to put a new end on if you have or know someone with the tools. Compression fitting would be much better than the crimp shown.
Is the picture the cable with corrosion?

Also you can carefully check the female fitting by sticking a large needle size of coax or stripping back coax. It should slide in without a lot of resistance.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #12

From looking at your photo, it doesn't appear the wire is corroded. My guess is a poor install in the first place. I don't see enough corrosion to eat away a copper wire. If you can find a satellite or even a TV tech to cut the cable back and install a new fitting, you should be in business.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK this may or may not help you. I had a similar issue years ago and it turned out that it was a bad wire that came through my roof. The Winegard tech that I talk to indicated that my wiring harness through the roof had five or six wires I only needed three. He has had me switch one of the wires and all was good. At the time he indicated the three wires that went from the LMB to the base came as a package and we're only about $25. I didn't need those so I never purchased them. However it appears you could purchase that new wiring harness from the actual dish to the base and replace those wires. Then you might have to remove the base from the roof of your motorhome and replace a connector. I'm not sure how easy/hard this could be but I am Guessing it can't be that hard. I would try to find some Winegard and or DirecTV dish forum to find out how hard it is or if you have to really send it back to the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #14

I agree with Spk64, easy to replace those hex crimp fittings with compression fittings. The compression fittings have much better sealing than hex crimps with anything exposed to weather.

Many coax center conductors are copper coated steel, and they will corrode (rust) if exposed to weather.

Tags
satellite