Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Winegard Wingman - any good?

Has anyone had any experience with the Winegard Wingman? Link: http://www.adventurerv.net/winegard-...t-p-11516.html

Our experience thus far has been spotty receiving DTV signals. Often times I can get an analog signal but not a station's digital signal. I know some stations have been transmitting DTV at a lower power than their analog signal. I've also found out that aiming the antenna for DTV has to be very precise. Since I guess most DTV will be on the UHF band, this add-on seems to make sense. However, reviews on the Camping World site have been mixed.

Anybody here have any direct experience?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have it, and it seems to help quite a bit. I guess it depends on where you are in relation to the transmitters. Worth the price and really easy to install, really easy!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #3

We got ours at the Perry FMCA Convention last month and I installed it about 2 weeks ago. As mentioned above, it is really easy to install. Seems to work well since I wasn't getting any digital stations at all until I put it on.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I do not have this,,,,,,,,yet. Those I have spoken to all report many more channels after the product was installed. I received no negative comments.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #5

Make sure you have a wingmen ant. are it want workwith other brands.

SamB
Old 04-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm waiting!

The present line-up of television frequencies are temporary. On June 12th, cities (localities) will be assigned a frequency either in the VHF or UHF Spectrum. For fixed locations you will need to know what spectrum your local stations are broadcasting on. Then a good antenna can be selected.

For those of us that travel, we will need a good combination VHF/UHF antenna. Hey! Isn't that what the batwing is right now? I don't have problems receiving DTV signals.

In the following link I am providing, please read the Reception Tips. I love antenna theory. I have, back in my day, use a coat hanger as a television antenna. The results - weill without it I saw nothing, and with it I saw a picture, good or bad. I've made a CB antenna by skinning back the shield 109 inches, leaving the phoenelic insulator wrapped around the center wire, and stringing it straight up in a tree with an Standing Wave Ration of less than 2:1. An antenna is nothing more than metal cut to specific lengths depending on the frequency wave. The lower the frequency the longer the length.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a Digital TV Antenna, there are just Antennas, some better then others, some worse.

Antennas and Digital Television
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I almost bought one yesterday but.. There are three things I need from the RV store and the one I priced (has nothing to do with TV) scared me all the way out of the door before I could recall the other two.

In another forum a member did,,, Well, he has the ability to do an independent lab test. His conclusion (And mine having reviewed his data) Is that it makes a very clear improvement, a marginal signal that pixilates and drops out, suddenly becomes 100%, Stations that were not there, show up.

There is, however, a trade off, it is the same trade off you make with a flashlight

Imaging, if you will, a flashlight with the reflector and lense removed, you have just the bulb (Basically a battery operated electric candle) See how far away you can read with it on a dark night.

NOTE: MAG-Lights makes one that converts from candle to flashlight, or Stream-Light, or both

Now put the lense/reflector assembly back on and see how far you can read

This is exactly how a "Beam" antenna works. The Wingman is what is called a 'Director' assembly.. Has the same effect of "Focusing" the antenna in the direction it's pointing as does the reflector on the flashlight
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a look at the "Winegard® MetroStar® Omnidirectional Antenna Model MS-2002)

Radio Shack sells them but I have seen the cheaper via other web sites.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm waiting!

The present line-up of television frequencies are temporary. On June 12th, cities (localities) will be assigned a frequency either in the VHF or UHF Spectrum. For fixed locations you will need to know what spectrum your local stations are broadcasting on. Then a good antenna can be selected.

For those of us that travel, we will need a good combination VHF/UHF antenna. Hey! Isn't that what the batwing is right now? I don't have problems receiving DTV signals.

In the following link I am providing, please read the Reception Tips. I love antenna theory. I have, back in my day, use a coat hanger as a television antenna. The results - weill without it I saw nothing, and with it I saw a picture, good or bad. I've made a CB antenna by skinning back the shield 109 inches, leaving the phoenelic insulator wrapped around the center wire, and stringing it straight up in a tree with an Standing Wave Ration of less than 2:1. An antenna is nothing more than metal cut to specific lengths depending on the frequency wave. The lower the frequency the longer the length.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a Digital TV Antenna, there are just Antennas, some better then others, some worse.

Antennas and Digital Television
Wayne, you are CORRECT !!

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm quite pleased with mine. If you have the batwing antenna this add-on is a no brainer. It couldn't be easier to install.
Now for its performance... I've been using a Zenith 901 DTV converter and it has a signal strength meter built in. For TV reception, using the meter I could aim the batwing for best picture. At best, the 10 DTV broadcasts I was receiving measured 6-8 on the meter's scale (w/ 10 being 100%.)
After installing the Wingman I'm now receiving 18 DTV broadcasts and seeing meter readings of 10 for 6 channels.
In short, the stations closest to me have gone from 6-8 on the scale to 10's. Stations a bit farther away went from 5-7 on the meter's scale, to 7-9's and stations not previously seen are showing up, but pixilate frequently.
All in all, a good deal!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for all the good input. I bought a Wingman last night and installed it this morning. I did a before and after reception test without moving the antenna. We live in a fringe area as far as television reception is concerned. However, after adding the Wingman, I was able to pull in three new digital signals and a much improved UHF analog signal from another station but no noticable VHF difference. This product seems worth the cost. Most difficult part of installation was climbing a ladder to get on the roof.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thumbs up Another recommendation for Wingman

Dave installed ours this weekend, extremely easy to do. We were at a state park in MI with absolutely NO signals for channels prior to installation of the Wingman. After, we got 1 full channel. I'd say that's a 100% increase in reception. Worth the money!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #13

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I installed one this weekend. It seemed to stabilize the stations. However I think I might have a bad head on my antenna, does anyone know how to check them out I am getting 12volts to the antenna so I know my amp is working.
thanks for all the good info on this site.
aljo1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljo1992 View Post
I installed one this weekend. It seemed to stabilize the stations. However I think I might have a bad head on my antenna, does anyone know how to check them out I am getting 12volts to the antenna so I know my amp is working.
thanks for all the good info on this site.
The amp is actually in the head of the Sensar antenna. The thing inside the coach is simply the power supply that allows the 12V to get to the roof. If you have 12V to the roof and you are not seeing as many channels as you should or as your neighbor is getting then you should try pointing the Wingman in all 4-6 different directions and do the channel scan again to see if you get more. If you have a signal strength meter on your TV you can also use this to check if you are getting a good signal. If all else fails the only way that I am aware of to test the antenna is to put a new one on!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote