Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Wineguard Antenna -Fix, Replace or Upgrade?

I was looking out the window and thought my antenna looked odd and out of position. Found out it had been completely shattered from the support bracket at the top of the extension arms and tossed around the support arms. Plastic Bracket is integrated to the antenna so whole unit appears to be toast unless I jerryrig a new support bracket.

Wondering if the basic wineguard antenna is worth replacing in kind, to upgrade to a new type of antenna -either for the hd broadcasts. Or try for wifi/cellular.

We occasionally put up antenna for local tv on trips but it's not as critical as getting solid wifi for us.

Antenna. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6056.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	181672
Bracket closeup Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6057.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	181673

However if I choose to upgrade -coax appears to be going.
The attached coax cable looks like the cover has rotted in several places and this cable runs thru the support arms and into the roof and likely over to the entertainment center. Not sure how easy this is to replace completely or to try to cut and splice.
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #2

I updated to a Winegard flat antenna that mounted on the existing mast, where the old antenna was. I can rotate my antenna and lower it for travel. And my coax looked bad, but I taped it up and wrapped it w/ loom and it still works. The tricky thing about over the air HD TV is position can make a lot of difference in reception. This summer I was parked between 2 rigs using similar antennas. Both of them were getting several stations and I was not getting any. At my next stop my system worked well.

Tags
ace, antenna, replace, upgrade