RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wireless Battery Monitor

I saw this on another post and checked it out https://www.thornwave.com/products-btdcpm/.
This is a very nice product which will allow us to add battery monitoring without having to run display wires. It still needs to be connected to you house and chassis batteries but uses your smart phone over bluetooth via an app on a iPhone or Android as its display. It gives you voltage on two battery systems, current on one, wattage, temp, and amp hours used or put back into you batteries. It has the ability to connect a relay which can be turned on or off from the app or set up for low and or high voltage disconnect. Its internal shunt can handle 80 amps or you can add a external shunt to handle greater currents. Install the shunt on the battery ground lead to monitor you house batteries.

Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a nice low cost $80 solution. I emailed the company asking about what 500 amp shunt they recommend. In two hrs I had an answer: one is $13 and $30 on Amazon. I paid $122 for Victron with 500 a shunt as a price comparison.
Informative video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WmTyMeEJXNA

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-c...rds=500A+shunt

https://www.amazon.com/AMMETER-SHUNT...rds=500A+shunt

From Raz the owner/inventor: "The first one(75mV shunt) will offer more resolution (the 500A are spread over 75mV versus 50 mV) but will also
heat more since it is will dissipate more heat. "

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have two of these in the Roadtrek, one monitoring the house battery and the other monitoring a separate inverter battery. Once I updated them they have worked very well. I have integrated then into an existing Domoticz application running on a Raspberry Pi 3 so I have a lot of information at my fingertips such as temperatures, voltages and charge levels:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180621-230342_Chrome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	208075

With the RPi connected to a MiFi I can get these alerts as long as the Roadtrek can get a Verizon signal, very helpful when DW takes it to cat shows and something goes wrong like the fridge getting too cold. It has already kept food from being frozen twice (need a new control board but it's a pain to replace the customized one I have, long story).

The script is located here on domoticz.com.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

The Victron BMV-512 has built in blue tooth and comes with a 500 amp shunt. I like that I can see my battery status on my trailer from within my house. My SmartSolar MPPT controllers also have built in bluetooth.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Just installed a Drock BT BM from Amazon today. All for $40. Seems to work OK. We'll see.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
The Victron BMV-512 has built in blue tooth and comes with a 500 amp shunt. I like that I can see my battery status on my trailer from within my house. My SmartSolar MPPT controllers also have built in bluetooth.
Yes, battery monitors have come a long way in the past couple of years, partly because of the development of Bluetooth Low Energy and microcontrollers that have it built-in like the Nordic nRF52832.

The Victron is a great ready-made product, the BT-DCPM / Domoticz method is more of a DIY job, both do the functions very well but the latter solution is more customizable IMHO.

BTW, how much was your BMV-512 and where did you purchase it? I can't find it on Victron's website.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Just installed a Drock BT BM from Amazon today. All for $40. Seems to work OK. We'll see.
$40 is a great price if it includes both current and voltage monitoring. Please post a link as I was not able to find it on Amazon.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #8

It may not still be available as there were only 4 left 3 days ago when I ordered.
Just found it. Has lots of information available.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-DRO...attery+monitor

Found it under "wireless battery monitor" am AZ
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
It may not still be available as there were only 4 left 3 days ago when I ordered.
Just found it. Has lots of information available.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-DRO...attery+monitor

Found it under "wireless battery monitor" am AZ
I actually have a similar one, but mine is not Bluetooth and can only be seen by the dedicated wireless display. Yours works on Bluetooth also? They must have updated it.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Yes, battery monitors have come a long way in the past couple of years, partly because of the development of Bluetooth Low Energy and microcontrollers that have it built-in like the Nordic nRF52832.

The Victron is a great ready-made product, the BT-DCPM / Domoticz method is more of a DIY job, both do the functions very well but the latter solution is more customizable IMHO.

BTW, how much was your BMV-512 and where did you purchase it? I can't find it on Victron's website.
The model for the Victron Bluetooth battery monitor is the BMV-712 (not 512).

I have it and love it! Can check all the stats of my battery bank from the house, tow vehicle, and best of all... from sitting in my lounge chair in the shade outside the trailer without getting up.
SLO Armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:08 AM   #11

There are 2 different models with and without bluetooth. And they have slightly different screens.
I don't really need to look at mine when I'm away from the TT on a trip and when home it goes to storage (unhooked from the batteries). I just occasionally check it to see if it is working as programmed. We boondock a lot and its nice to see the battery display filling back up again when the genny is running and not have to run the genny too long.

Tags
battery