RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #15

Flytyer - Can you expound on how you use the Verizon USB727 for Internet connection? I am using a Verizon cell phone and would like to have better Internet connection than having to wait to get to a CG that has Wifi.

What equipment do you have to buy, what is the cost (initial and monthly), and how do you hook it all together? Are there any special programs to load or anything you have to contact Verizon to do?

I can turn on the computer, find the forum, do e-mails and make calls on my cell phone but that's about the limit to my expertise with these things.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Wagonmaster2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You can find an evaluation on a few things in this thread and then we also did a a special install where you can find in another link.
Here is the setup that we now use... where we made it more of a permanent setup.
You can find more photos of the installation in this album

I got a PM today asking how we like it... and I personally don't think I could be any happier with it.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have both a Datastorm satellite internet system and the ability to use my Verizon cell phone as an air card.

I have found the speed about equal and air cards are great and have reduced the need for satellite internet.

But, as RvDude notes above, air cards work just about everywhere there is cell service and they are much cheaper than satellite, but satellite is the only service available everywhere.

If you don't camp in the boonies and/or have the need to get online whenever you want, then an aircard is the best choice.

WiFi in campgrounds is so marginal that it is unreliable. WiMax is not an option at this time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
paz

As has been mentioned, the key to what will work best for you is where you like to camp and what your budget is. Both satellite internet and air cards have their advantages and disadvantages.

Satellite internet doesn't work unless the dish has an unobstructed view of the satellite. So if you like to camp in heavily wooded campsites, satellite probably won't work for you. Automatic rooftop dishes are expensive. A dish on a tripod is cheaper, but can be difficult to aim. However, as long as you have an unobstructed view of the satellite, you will be able to get online no matter how remote the area is.

An air card will work under trees, but it may not work if you like to camp in remote areas where there is no digital cell service. Check the providers' coverage maps. An external antenna and signal amplifier will help in many cases, but there are still some locations where you will be out of luck.

Another advantage to the air card is you can access the internet while driving down the interstate. Can't do that with satellite internet.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
You must FIRST ask yourself - where will you be camping?????

AirCards and cell based internet is great BUT....
If you frequently camp where there is no cell phone service or where you only have analog cell coverage coverage, you will probably not have aircard coverage either - satellite will be your only option. What about Mexico and Canada use? Are you in the mountains a lot?? Check out the coverage maps for all the carriers and see what might work for you.

BTW: WiMax is years - if at all - away for any "nationwide" coverage and then it'll be implemented in big city suburbs long long long before anything smaller or even rural.
It may not be that far off. The company I worked for did a WiMax test with Nortel in January. With the broadband stimulus it may happen fairly fast. There were meetings in Washington, D.C. with NTIA and RUS Monday and Tuesday. The company I work for is in Minnesota and North Dakota, doesn't get much more rural than that.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wagonmaster2

[quoteFlylytyer - Can you expound on how you use the Verizon USB727 for Internet connection? The USB727 plugs into an available USB port on the computer. The USB727 is actually a wireless modem that works on the cell phone network. Once activiated it has its own phone number which identifies your account. Speeds are very fast, most of the time I get 1900 to 2200KB and I always can connect.

I am using a Verizon cell phone and would like to have better Internet connection than having to wait to get to a CG that has Wifi. Depending on the model you might be able to connect your cell phone to the laptop...check with Verizon. Your phone then becomes the wireless modem

What equipment do you have to buy, what is the cost (initial and monthly), and how do you hook it all together? I only have the USB727. The cost was free after a rebate and the activation fee was refunded after 30 days. Note the costs and packages vary at stores who are Verizon agents. I got mine from the 3GStore.com. The monthly useage fee is $59 plus taxes. This gives me 5GB of use. So far I never have used more than 1.2GB and I am always on.

Are there any special programs to load or anything you have to contact Verizon to do? You have to load the Verizon Access Manager software that comes with the USB727. Verizon activates the device.

I can turn on the computer, find the forum, do e-mails and make calls on my cell phone but that's about the limit to my expertise with these things.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Wagonmaster2[/quote]
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Another vote for Verizon Wireless with the USB attatchment (5GB max traffic per month at a cost of $60).

We have been travelling around 14,000 miles through multiple states and only very seldom have we had problems with the reception. When this has happened we have a Wilson truck antenna that we can add to our system (this is mentioned several times in previous posts) and this will boost our signal to an acceptable level.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote