Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Wireless Printer

I am in a park with wifi. I want to use a wireless printer. Do I need a router in the MH to have it work?
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If you can see the wireless network SSID on your computer, then you should be able to connect without a router. Check your available networks to see if it's there.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by belanga View Post
I am in a park with wifi. I want to use a wireless printer. Do I need a router in the MH to have it work?
Without knowing the brand & model of your printer I cant give you specifics, but HP (and most major producers) for instance will assign an IP address to a printer. You can add the printer to your computer using the add printer/device wizard if you know the IP address of the printer.

Also, HP printers have been using ePrint technology for the last several years which will allow you to find an ePrint enabled printer anywhere in the world and send your document to it. Works with laptops, tablets and smartphones.

https://h30495.www3.hp.com/help
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Depending on geography, your PC should be able to "see" the wireless printer without needing a [network or] router. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a Wireless printer..... you Do Not Need Wifi. What make and model printer do you have.

ditto on jplant post -You can also check your Wireless connections on your computer or phone to see if it is picking up the Printer.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Without knowing the brand & model of your printer I cant give you specifics, but HP (and most major producers) for instance will assign an IP address to a printer. You can add the printer to your computer using the add printer/device wizard if you know the IP address of the printer.

Also, HP printers have been using ePrint technology for the last several years which will allow you to find an ePrint enabled printer anywhere in the world and send your document to it. Works with laptops, tablets and smartphones.

https://h30495.www3.hp.com/help
Yeah, the trouble with e-print is that the PRINTER needs to be connected to the park's WiFi.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The printer is a HP 2540 which says it is wireless.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

then if you have the printer with you, you will have to set the printer up on their wifi system, go through the wifi set up and then you should see it when you look up on what wifi's are around the area you are in, if it is at home, then you should have a email that is already set up on hpeprint you can send it to

does that make since to you, when set up c=right click on your wifi signal on your task bar and you should see your printer, and it should look like

wifi HP 2540

Quote:
The printer is a HP 2540 which says it is wireless.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
You may be able to connect to the printer via the park's WiFi, but what happens when you go somewhere else? For about $25 you can get a cheap router to keep in your coach, and you will then be able to use the printer anywhere without any change in settings. Or you can spend more and get more capability. Here is the router that I use. and I am very happy with it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no need to use the parks WIFI. As stated above just use the connection Wizard software that came with the printer.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
There is no need to use the parks WIFI. As stated above just use the connection Wizard software that came with the printer.
does sit nost have a usb interface too. Or buy a samsung like we have and use it with your smart phone or simply plug in the usb to the lap top.

samsung also copies too. we use it as part of our portable office in our work truck and when travel on in the MH
Old 01-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer is yes, You will most likely need your own router.

Longer answer is "Perhaps" some parks go very simple with their Free Wi-Fi, they basically take a Linksys WRT and plug it in... In this case you could likely connect via their router, if that is it's not sold out (or you know how to get past that) problem is: So can every other user (Connect to your printer).

Longer answer still: (This may be your best option) Most of the wireless printers still have ye-old USB option, For those occasions where Im using my Smart Phone (Which will not let computer connect to printer) I use USB to print.

I also have Ghost Print and Cute PDF printer on board.. I can (usually) Print to Cute PDF (it uses ghost print) and save the PDF, then switch over to my house router and print the PDF from AcroRead.exe.

But then..... I have been doing this a while and designed my own system.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
While you may or may not be able to use your wireless printer with park Wi-Fi, a simple, economical approach for us RVers is to buy a device like a Netgear PR2000 travel router ($35 on Amazon). You connect the router to the park Wi-Fi system. Then you connect all your wireless devices, including the printer, to the router. When you move on to the next RV park, simply connect the router to that park's Wi-Fi network. No further configuration of you wireless devices is needed as you travel. No wires to run anywhere.

There are any number of inexpensive travel routers out there. They are compact and easy to use.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #14

wifi printers

The problem with wifi printers is that they may be on the same channel as the park's system. If it is then you may not be able to connect to the park system. That is also goes for the people around you, They may not be able to connect to the park system because you are over powering their computer. In tight areas with lots of signals from MIFI devices it is best to use a USB cable and disable you printers wifi. A few MIFI devices can block you from the camps wifi system.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote