Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
XM or Sirus Radio, Is one better?

Thinking about purchasing a new radio. IS XM or SIRuS better? does one have anything that makes it better? know the 2 companies merged, but they sell XM and Sirus Radioss, WHY? appreviate the help. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Having only had XM I don't know the benefits of Sirius. When I bought mine, XM had the comedy channels and Sirius did not. That was the deciding factor for me.

My advice if I was going to choose again, would be decide what type of entertainment you're looking for and then decide which radio to buy. IIRC you can buy a package that has the combined content available on either type of radio.

As predicted by all, now that the two companies are one, the prices are rising. I still enjoy mine where there are no regular terrestrial stations available and to get content not always available elsewhere, like Grand Old Opry live.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

They have combined all the stations. All the channels are the same.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #4

Yep they are the same ole same ole. Prices are going up.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sittius offered me Lifetime subscription,,$199..I took it and ran..Now I hope their liftime is as long as mine.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have Sirius in DW's car and the Winnebago. My new Silverado has XM. I prefer the Sirius programming because I like the NASCAR channel that is only available on XM as a four bucks a month upgrade. However, they sent me a letter today allowing me to have all the channels on my XM (good timing since the NASCAR season ended yesterday). I called to have the channels added on during my free preview period and they made me a discounted offer for the firsts year which I took. Now I, like others have said, have all the channels on all three of my radios.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjeff View Post
They have combined all the stations. All the channels are the same.
They may offer more than one plan for each xm and sirius. We have several xm radios and when DW wanted the NASCAR channels we purchased what I think is called a "premium Sirius package". About $4 +/- per month. There was also at the time we ordered some kind of XM package that Sirius subscribers could pay for. Most channels are the same. There are a few differences.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
sirius even
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
best part is to have them , then dont renew
then they wait a few months an turn it back on for free for a month
we only listen to 3 channels so a subscription doesn't work for us
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I got an offer in the mail last week for 6 months for $25.00 Call 866-568-1364 to subscribe to SiriusXM.

I have it in the car which stays in Ohio. Just brought the MH home from Alaska. No point to any kind of satellite service there. Now that the MH is in Ohio I may add Sirius to it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
home from Alaska. No point to any kind of satellite service there..
huh?

Satelites don't work in alaska?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Years ago I had XM. Then I bought a Ford truck that had Sirius built in to the radio. For a while I kept my XM radio, but finally succumbed to the built in Sirus radio. Then Sirius bought XM. XM offered a Best of Sirius package which were channels Sirius had but XM didn't. Sirius also offered Best of XM for channels XM had but Sirius didn't. More and more they are combining stations. I can't say if the combining is complete yet or not, but I like traveling all over and never having to look for a station. My only complaint was that XM had more "music only" channels (no talking or commercials - just music) than Sirius. My favorite station usually spends a lot of time with interviews and talking beginning friday afternoon thru the weekend. That annoys me because I am paying for music, not talking. So I change the channel to another.

I liked being able to listen to the race Sunday (on the NASCAR channel) while on the road. Once we were setup I could watch the end.

Yes it is a bit pricey, but in my mind the convenience over rules.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
We have XM in Sandy's Toyota Highlander and Sirius in the Dodge Ram we use to pull the 5th wheel. Since the merger/buyout and commonization of stations, I can't discern a nickel's worth of difference between the two with the programming package we have, but we don't drift off into the areas where they may still differ (i.e., Howard Stern, etc.)

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are mostly the same. Only problem I have had, which make absolutely no sense is that they both drop off upon entering many metropolitan areas (Mobile, AL; New Orleans, DFW) and not downtown either, just as I get close to the area, go figure. Wonder if the local stations have a way of influencing local Gov'ts to "block" them? Nah, not in the good ole USA!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio