Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #1

10KW Onan Glow Plug Circuit Testing Help

We have an HDKCA Spec D gen set in our Phaeton. We tried to start it in 39 degrees and it started, but then stumbled and surged for maybe 10 seconds then died and wouldnt restart. Once it was 60 degrees outside we tried again. It blew some white smoke for a while but then cleaned up and ran fine. Several people have suspected the glow plugs. I have looked through several of the manuals available online which said to put a volt meter on the glow plug bus bar as a first check. When I hold the switch on the gen to the start position, I see the red light flash and I hear what sounds like a relay click but there is no voltage at the glow plugs until the starter engages. Then I see about 9v. Should it be 12v? Should there be voltage at the glow plugs while the light is flashing? I expected yes as I thought that was the preheat cycle. I also checked the water temperature sensor and it read 1357 ohms when it was about 55 degrees in the garage. I'm going to check relay K3 which appears to be for the glow plugs and ohm each glow plug but I was hoping one of you guys might know if I should see voltage at the glow plugs while the red light is flashing inside the start switch.

Thanks,

Scott
ScottyBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send me your email and I can forward the cummins shop manual
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Scott! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't advise you on the problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!
I have the 12.5kw Onan, guess I better see if I have the service manual.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:53 AM   #5

Thank you for the welcomes and thanks Kerryvan for the manual! I will start testing and report back.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
HAVE you checked the fuses behind the little plate in the upper left near the start switch? Should be three fuses beyond or under the coolant cap.

LEN
Old 11-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced the glow plugs in our Onan generator. It was difficult to start when cold but then started much quicker after warming up and shutting off. I removed each glow plug and tested it with an Ohm meter. Two out of three glow plugs were bad. I had over 12V at the bus bar that supplies power to the glow plugs when pressing the start button, but only after finding a good ground.
You may have low batteries or a bad connection somewhere.

Our generator is an Onan 12.5k with an Isuzu 3 cylinder diesel engine (previously I thought they were Kubota engines). It should be the same engine as your 10k.
The Onan part number for the glow plugs is 187-1289- $49 each. The NGK part number is 5392 Y720U $10 each (both glow plugs are identical).
They are very easy to change. Only took about 10 min. Even if only one is bad, it is recommended you change all three.

The clicking you hear when first depressing the start button is the fuel pump priming the supply line. Also, the fuel filter is the same one used for the GM 6.2 diesel used in Chevy trucks from 1982-2000,

Hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

Thanks all. I got the top cover off and found a craftsman socket wrench trapped under the muffler. Not a good sign but I figured I found the rattle we had been hearing. After fishing it out I noticed the soot clean out plug was missing from the muffler so exhaust has been blowing around inside the generator enclosure. After replacing the plug I checked for voltage at the glow plug bus. There was no voltage during preheat at all. As soon as the starter engaged I saw about 9v. The glow plugs and water temp sensor checked ok so I was going to check the K3 relay next but I saw the main connector for the control board. I disconnected the coach batteries and then disconnected the generator connector at the control board. The pins and sockets looked like new inside. I then reseated the connector on to the control board and I heard a clear CLICK. Now I had a little over 11v at the glow plugs during preheat and I could hear a consistent rapid clicking when I only heard a single click before. I suspect the clicking is the fuel pump priming. Well the generator now cold started strongly in 44 degree weather! While I was in there it got a new fuel filter, air filter cleaning,and oil change.

It turns out the rattle was a broken angle iron support that goes from the fiberglass body to the frame. There is one on each side of the generator. They were secured with only a #10 self tapping screw and one had broke. They are are 1/4” bolts now

One other thing while I am writing this long post. We also felt what we believed was excessive vibration inside the coach while the generator was running. Upon inspecting the mounting bolts for the front body part I could see where the bolts were so long that one was actually grinding into the generator slide and two others were so close they were obviously making contact during operation. I cut them all to create a nice air gap.

All is running smooth and quiet now, whew! Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
YC1

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dies...or-369201.html

Welcome to the forum:

Scan through this thread for some helpful information. How many hours on the generator now?

Sounds like you have it solved but might be time for some maintenance such as replacing the glow plugs.

The 11 volts on the glow plugs sounds normal because they really load the circuit. I believe the fuse that supplies them is 25 amps.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #10

It's probably time to look at the belts. Or .... "feel" them and check for cracks and missing chunks.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #11

875 hours on the generator. I inspected the belt and it looked ok but you are right I should have just gone ahead and replaced it while I was in there.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBud View Post
875 hours on the generator. I inspected the belt and it looked ok but you are right I should have just gone ahead and replaced it while I was in there.
Not an easy job. Mine were a real mess at 1400 hours. And, I suspect they were a mess long before that.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Not an easy job. Mine were a real mess at 1400 hours. And, I suspect they were a mess long before that.
Good to know, thanks!
ScottyBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBud View Post
Good to know, thanks!
BTW, mine is a Kubota (12.5KW) and I needed to try 4 different belts since the old ones were too deteriorated to measure or match. Somewhere on the Forum I posted the sizes and generic P/Ns.

Tags
onan, test