Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
110V electrical

I have a 2012 Winnebago Journey 40U. One side of the coach lose's 110V power at the 110V plugs, Fireplace, and Air conditioners. (The Refrigerators its on the same side and works OK. Normally, the Refrigerator works with the inverter when 110 is unplugged but that is not the case as the inverter is still on float)
There are no 110V circuit breakers popped on the panel located under the bed pedestal.. The Ground fault plugs are still active. (meaning they did not pop, but the light is not lit. The light does come on with the gen set. The shore power at the post is still connected and shows hot. The meter that Winnebago provides, reads a full 50A. The appliances on the other side of the coach work fine. AS soon as I start the generator every thing returns to full power.
WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not Know. But- I would Tighten all grounds. Grounds on the panels, inverters, Shore connection.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

If you are sure both legs at the campground outlet are live (120vac) and everything works when running the generator, either your shore cable is bad or the transfer switch is not switching one leg. A meter will help determine the transfer switch and cable possibilities.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Get a voltmeter.

Genny is fine but shore not.

So problem between genny and shore.

Either cord, shore source or ats for starters.

50 a indicated okay so maybe cord to unit fine but ats may be bad.

Check voltage in panel then at ats

Do NO REPAIRS OF ANY KIND until you can measure a problem.

Then repair that problem followed by repeat measurement to confirm repair.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said a code word in your original post "INVERTER".. You also mentioned it is in FLOAT mode.. Very good, that more or less narrows the problem to two suspects.
Suspect 1: YOU Have a 2nd breaker panel somewhere.. now it may be a "Sub Panel" like I have with traditional Square D type breakers which is mounted remote from your main breaker box. OR (and this is fairly common) it may be push to reset (Post type) Circuit breakers that are included IN THE INVERTER ITSELF (usually on the back side where you can not see them,, Thank your installer for that.

That's suspect #1 So now for #2

I had exactly the same thing happen.. Turns out a connection in the inverter connection panel had fried (literally fried) I fixed and now all is good. (For like 7 years it's been good).

NOTE: bad connection can be down-line as well (At the GFCI, or any of the outlets down-line from it)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all. I have a appointment at a repair shop on Thur, as I was unable to locate anything on my own.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
To facilitate an early start to make my appointment to the repair shop, I went outside to empty the holding tanks after dark. As I approached the rear of my coach I noticed the lights on the Progressive Products Surge protector was unlit on one side and both green and red on the other. Thus indicating the parks power source was the source of my problem. That had been one of my first steps in my attempt to find the problem. As it turns out the lights on the Surge device are tiny and reflect the light from the sun making them appear to be lighted when they are not. Turning off the breaker and attaching a 30 amp adapter allowed all of my coaches electric circuits to work.
I cancelled my appointment, called the park office in the morning, they sent out a repairman. He replaced the plug and breaker and the problem was solved!

Tags
electrical