Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

12 volt Auxiliary batteries

I'm looking to replace my 12 volt auxiliary battery with 2 new 12 volt batteries as has been recommended to me. From doing much reading on this forum, I understand Walmart's EverStart 12volt #27 is preferred by many RV'ers. Your thoughts??
Thanks,
Linda, Tori(dog) and Roberto(cat)

1999 Fleetwood Bounder
outofdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

27 group battery is a little small.

And as typical with batteries this thread will go long...

So I suggest you search battery maintenance and design for about a week of reading

First thoughts...

What are your needs (what is the load and run times)

What is the budget

What are your expectations ( what amount of work do you expect to do)

Different battery designs perform way differently and have great differences in cost.

Most expensive may not meet your needs.

So think about what you need your battery plant to do and how much money and time you wish to invest then you can select the battery that best meets your needs and budget.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Batteries from walmart are a hit and miss proposition. They put out bids to multiple mfgrs and whoever gives them the cheapest bid gets to mfg the batch. So you may hit a reliable battery mfgr or you may not. Your best bet is to go with a reputable battery mfgr such as AAA, Interstate, I personally have had excellent luck with batteries from O'Reilly Auto Parts, plus they will take your old batteries and not charge you a fee, at least the ones in MO & AR don't. Plus with a company like O'Reilly they are all over the place and make warranty exchanges as easy as walmart.

You do want a group 27 12v battery, unless you have room for 4 6v golf cart batteries. If you do a lot of dry camping then the 6v batteries are a better way to go. However if you are limited on space, as we are, then the 2 12v batteries are the second best way to go.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What's the difference between group 24 and group 27 batteries?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
What's the difference between group 24 and group 27 batteries?
Size. A 27 is a larger battery than a 24. Same height, same width, but the 27 is about 2 inches longer.

--
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #6

I went through two sets of Everstarts and even though I selected a matched pair with the same date stamps on them none over 2 months from the current date when I purchased them and upgraded to a new Progressive Converter with the Charge Wizard neither set lasted a full year. I now call them NeverStarts. With Walmart Batteries you are rolling the dice so be prepared to get snake eyes.

Your better off with the Interstate and such from a national chain parts store.

Watch for coupons and discounts and you may find a deal.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #7

Well, I've done a lot of research, and I can't still can't understand a lot of the technical aspects of the RV. I'm still getting a handle on how the electrical systems work!
I suspect I will never understand it all. At any rate, there is an Interstate Battery dealer not too far away and I will call this morning to see if they can accommodate the "bus". There is a battery warehouse nearby, but my RV doesn't fit in their lot.
As far as my needs, I love campgrounds and that's where I will always overnight. I don't want to be "on my own", just in case there is a problem.
I really appreciate all the good advice and pointers from the people here!
Thanks for your help on this journey,
Linda
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Before you spend any money on batteries I suggest you search and read:

"The 12 volt side of life, part 1 and 2".

After reading you will understand much more about batteries and rv requirements.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most 12 volt RV batteries are labled Marine/Deep cycle.. More on that later
The following examples list capacity

Group 24 about 75 amp horus each 150 per pair
Group 27 Just shy of 100 and 200 per pair
Group 29, Just over 100 (like 105) 210 per pair
Group 31 About 130 each 260 per pair

GC-2, Six volt (you use two in series to make one LARGE 12 volt battery
OR, 4-D (single 12 volt battery 230 amp hours.

OF these the first ones (The Group-xx) are usually Marine Deep cycle, these are not really all that good if you run them down too far (like below 75 percent)

On the other hand the GC-2 is a golf car battery, A TRUE deep cycle that dos not mind being run down to half full for a bit (Do recharge promptly) and the 4-D and teh slightly larger 8-D can be had in both starting and deep cycle.. For a price.

The six volt GC-2 will fit the tray, but they are TALLER than the Group 27
Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofdodge View Post
I'm looking to replace my 12 volt auxiliary battery with 2 new 12 volt batteries as has been recommended to me. From doing much reading on this forum, I understand Walmart's EverStart 12volt #27 is preferred by many RV'ers. Your thoughts??
Thanks,
Linda, Tori(dog) and Roberto(cat)

1999 Fleetwood Bounder
A Pair of deep cycle 27 series compared to what you have now will be just super fine. Wallmart have a good warrenty on their batterys I would also check sam,s club and costco
If you go for larger 31 series check with a trucker dealership as it a standard battery used in all big trucks and they usually are cheaper than other outlets. I just bought two 950 CCA 31 series for my 425 ISL for $91.00 each
BUT BUT if u had the room FOUR COSTCO golf cart batterys will give you a bigger bang for the buck.4 will give 440amps for $80.00 each
4 of the six volts would be almost the same size wise area as 4- 24 series 12 volters. maybe about 1/2 inch taller
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #11

There is a truck repair place nearby that helped me with the Maryland Inspection for Bounder. I'll bet they will be able to help me with a new battery also.

Tags
12 volt, batteries