RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

120v electric problem

After 8 or more years of fiddling with an electric problem, I've finally narrowed it down to something I can explain & ask for help.
It shows up with the AC thermostat, intermittent frig plug with no power, & the microwave plug no power.
This past week I have narrowed the problem to there must be a device, relay, or a control box? that's purpose is to register if AC from the genny or pole is provided. When I am using the inverter, all items to work normally including the micro. If I provide any 120V AC to the system, the microwave receives no power. Other plugs work inconsistently.
I think I can trace all the problems if I knew what causes the AC/GENNY power to register when plugged in. I know the inverter monitor is showing AC power IN and shutting off the inverter supply to allow AC to the coach. But I don't know what is sending that cue to the inverter to show the AC has been plugged in.
My inverter is a xantrex 3012. My coach is 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38n.
Any even unlikely ideas would be appreciated as this is our last RV and still love traveling but this is so very annoying.

jdandkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like loose connections in the transfer switch or possibly loose connections in the main load center.

Make sure all connections are tight from the transfer switch to and in the load center.

John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Without the internal wiring schematic of your inverter , I'm guessing .
But the normal for shore power/gen power switching from inverter power would be internal in the inverter . When external AC power is supplied to the inverter an internal control board will switch from inverting to "flow through " AC power and start the battery charging function . There may be multiple relays/ solenoids internal to the inverter involved , hence the need for a wiring schematic.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandkity View Post
After 8 or more years of fiddling with an electric problem, I've finally narrowed it down to something I can explain & ask for help.
It shows up with the AC thermostat, intermittent frig plug with no power, & the microwave plug no power.
This past week I have narrowed the problem to there must be a device, relay, or a control box? that's purpose is to register if AC from the genny or pole is provided. When I am using the inverter, all items to work normally including the micro. If I provide any 120V AC to the system, the microwave receives no power. Other plugs work inconsistently.
I think I can trace all the problems if I knew what causes the AC/GENNY power to register when plugged in. I know the inverter monitor is showing AC power IN and shutting off the inverter supply to allow AC to the coach. But I don't know what is sending that cue to the inverter to show the AC has been plugged in.
My inverter is a xantrex 3012. My coach is 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38n.
Any even unlikely ideas would be appreciated as this is our last RV and still love traveling but this is so very annoying.
The device you are talking about is called Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS).

I don't understand this statement.

Why do you turn off your inverter. The inverter does not shut off to allow AC power. The Inverter provides Pass thru power. Leave it on.

Are the no power issues with shore power or Generator power?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #5

The shore power and generator power come in to the Auto transfer switch. At that point, when the auto transfer switch senses power from one or the other, it sends that power to the main breaker panel.

The inverter/charger is typically powered from a breaker in the main panel. Then the inverter power comes back to breakers marked inverter.

Start with checking the auto transfer switch connections. That's the first common point. Next is the connections in the main breaker panel. The 30 amp breaker or the 50 amp double breaker, depending on what service you have.

Then look at the incoming power to the inverter/charger. Could be a loose connection there. Since everything works from that, the problem has to be before it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

Yes, I have enough schematics to paper a large house.

Thanks for the input. That's why I'm so confused. I have schematics for the inverter and the coach, literally for even building the walls. I got scared that Fleetwood would stop supporting the customers who kept old RVs. I plan to keep ours for another 5 years.
The inverter was replaced last March. I figured the problem would be finally solved. But it's still the same after 3 inverters.
Since inverter circuit #9 controls the micro and no AC breakers are involved (I think), yes, I have tightened and tested at the inverter connections. I also pulled the EMS/breaker panel and checked for any loose screws, (abt every 2 yrs) & no problems. I've tried talking to Xantrex and they are most patient & helpful but so far I still have this problem.
Honestly I know more than I should ever need to about electric because of this but the problem remains that the micro plug is hot when on inverter but off on any form of 120AC. I have to use an extension cord to use the micro.
If the inverter is the only possible device/relay that acknowledges inverter to 120 AC I'm really stuck for a fix.
Even the electricians that have tried to help haven't stopped this.
That's why I'm here asking for input from the vast knowledge of RVers.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Where is ATS located? Is it outside of the inverter? This sounds like something I should check.
When I said I shut off the inverter, I added more confusion. I do not disable the unit, I meant to say I have to enable inverting on batteries on the monitor to allow the micro to come on & all is well.
As soon as I plug in pole AC or genny, the inverter no longer powers up circuit #9 for the micro whether inverting is lite or not & the plug goes dead.
I can't figure how it could be wiring if inverting works so I'm down, very down, to thinking it's a switch or relay.
Adding, I'm off to find automatic transfer switch.

Tags
electric, problem