Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

1991 pace arrow power/refridgerator/converter question

I recently made a post about my dometic refrigerator model rm2812 there was a humming noise when I turned on the breaker for the unit I have since found out that it was my converter/charger that was making the humming sound it functions great until the refer breaker is clicked. after pulling out to get a model number I realized it is a 50amp converter charger is this common in a motor home that is marked as 30amp power I'm thinking someone might have changed the unit prior to me getting it any info would be helpful. also is there any reason why it might hum only on the refrigerator. thank you
divie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by divie20 View Post
I recently made a post about my dometic refrigerator model rm2812 there was a humming noise when I turned on the breaker for the unit I have since found out that it was my converter/charger that was making the humming sound it functions great until the refer breaker is clicked. after pulling out to get a model number I realized it is a 50amp converter charger is this common in a motor home that is marked as 30amp power I'm thinking someone might have changed the unit prior to me getting it any info would be helpful. also is there any reason why it might hum only on the refrigerator. thank you
A 50 amp converter is pretty normal.
The 50 amp rating is 12 volt output, used to charge your batteries and power the lights, water pump and other items.

It is not the 120 volt AC input. It probably will use 6 to 8 amps AC.

When you flip on the refrigerator breaker, is it a 120 volt breaker ?

I'm wondering if you have a 3 way fridge and are turning on the 12 volt funtion. That would add a load on the converter and possibly make it humm.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A 50 amp converter is pretty normal.
The 50 amp rating is 12 volt output, used to charge your batteries and power the lights, water pump and other items.

It is not the 120 volt AC input. It probably will use 6 to 8 amps AC.

When you flip on the refrigerator breaker, is it a 120 volt breaker ?

I'm wondering if you have a 3 way fridge and are turning on the 12 volt funtion. That would add a load on the converter and possibly make it humm.
that is a 120v breaker and it is a 3 way it works 12v 120v or gas I only just got it earlier this year so I am still learning how everything functions I've been able to find some of the old manuals but not for everything. Its a 1991 fleetwood pace arrow so its 25 yrs old now. the refrigerator doesn't seem to want to kick on. and when I flip the breaker on the converter buzzes but it only does that on the refrigerator nothing else. I can't get the refrigerator to work for some reason it looks in good shape I can't see anything that could be wrong with it
Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #4

OK so today we unbolted the converter/charger from the floor of our motor home and added rubber pads between the unit and the floor the humming is now barely audible not sure why it was doing it only on the refrigerator but everything seems to be working and all is nice and quiet now.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #5

If 3 way fridge it is likely in manual mode.

If converter hums when fridge is turned on then the fridge may be running on 12 volts instead of 120.

The heater is high current so the converter certainly is going to complain a bit...

The fridge should have auto mode that will select best power meaning if 120 volts available it will use it then propane.

The 12 volt operation is voltage controlled meaning it will run on propane unless the 12 volt input is above 13.6 or so.

It does this as the voltage is only this high when engine running so if engine running 12 volt best option.

Confirm how you are setup.

Locate and read the operators manual then determine if working correctly as it should not be operating as it seems.

Tags
ace, converter, fridge, pace arrow, power