Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #15

thanks for your help,Mike.Could you tell me if I can replace just the ballast?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsord View Post
Been gone about a month and a half on a 9 state trip seeing friends and relatives,had a great time,but here's what I learned about our 2 zone stat and it's hard to believe.I went to re-set the temperature and could barely see the display so I reached up and turned on the florescent light and 2 o's came on the display.Disgusted,I turned the light off and the temp returned!Not being able to see very well,I turned the light back on and whatta ya know,2 o's again!Every time I turned on the light,the same thing happened.I left the light on for awhile and the reefer unit started going on and off,crazy,huh?I also found my zone 1 compresser won't come on with a 30 amp hookup.Now,when I need to re-set the stat,I turn on the bulb light over the sink.It would all be funny if I hadn't spent so much time and money trying to fix it.Fleetwood oughta send me some money for pain and suffering and being their troubleshoot tech.Oh well,thats the way it goes.
This is a very common issue and well documented in the Discovery Owners group, and other Fleetwood forums. Fleetwood and the maufacturer of this control board (RV Products - Coleman) are also very well aware of the issue. This goes back at least 6 years. The board design has been modified several times and the later versions of the board are less sensitive to this RF interference issue. The lamp ballast doesnt necessarily have to be bad to cause this effect. Others have duplicated the problem with cell phone or laptop chargers too close to this board. You should get a newer thermostat control board.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #17

Thanks Jim-I was down in Mesa last year when this problem came to a head and it was getting hot.I had pretty much narrowed the trouble down to the stat so I called several RV supplies,got the best price and ordered one.When it got here there was a "not returnable" notation on the invoice.That made me suspicious but I felt I had no choice,so I paid the$275 and here I am.My choices are,don't use florescent lighting while running reefers or gamble another $300 on a stat.What do you do?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsord View Post
Thanks Jim-I was down in Mesa last year when this problem came to a head and it was getting hot.I had pretty much narrowed the trouble down to the stat so I called several RV supplies,got the best price and ordered one.When it got here there was a "not returnable" notation on the invoice.That made me suspicious but I felt I had no choice,so I paid the$275 and here I am.My choices are,don't use florescent lighting while running reefers or gamble another $300 on a stat.What do you do?

Larry, its been about 4 yrs since I went through this and it was a very common issue back then. I know several of us dealt directly with RV Products (Coleman) and got free replacement boards. If you get a hold of the right contact at RV Products (Coleman) directly, and talk nicely, you may get a free replacement. sorry I dont have their contact info anymore

good luck
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #19

We've been gone awhile,but thought I'd give an update to this saga.I needed my AC's serviced so I had a tech come out and while he was here,I told him about my therm/light problem and gave him a little demo-he couldn't believe it!He took out his meter thing,tested everything he knew how and just shook his head.We removed the rear light,replaced it with the forward light,end of problem.We checked both lights,switched them around,same thing.Conclusion,the ballast in the rear light(although the lite worked fine)screwed up the thermo.I've since bought a new ballast but haven't put it in yet.Hope this helps someone.Larry
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess this guy Bob at Highways Magazine was too embarrassed to share with his readers. Please read on and good luck, I'm pretty sure this will fix your problem.

Subject: QUIRKY FLOURESCENTS

Hi Bob,

You responded to Joe McChesney of Hudson, Florida in the 2009 issue of Highways regarding his flourescent lights affecting his heat/AC thermostat. I had the same problem in my 2007 Pace Arrow and after replacing the thermostat twice (yes, I am now on my third thermostat) a service tech at Fleetwood finally knew the solution. There is a piece of electronics called a choke filter, Fleetwood part number 355469 and costs about $20 and can be purchased directly from Fleetwood parts department. It cancels any interference from nearby flourescent lights. You simply loosen the thermostat mounting screws and unplug the harness on the back. Plug in the choke filter to the thermostat and reconnect the harness to the choke filter. Problem solved! I would advise a call to Fleetwood (1-800-322-8216) to confirm that this choke filter fits their coach model.
I read your column in every issue of Highways and you are usually right on. Somehow this one slipped by you. I'm not surprised though since my RV dealer didn't know the solution and neither did the first two or three people I talked to at Fleetwood! That should make you feel a little better.
Regards and keep up the good work,
Pat Geddes
Knoxville, Tennessee
pgeddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Thermostats Showing 00

I sent the following information to Bob the Tech at Highways Magazine but he refused to share with his readers. I guess since it differed with his advice of replacing the ballast in the light fixture he didn't like it. This is a much easier solution.

Subject: QUIRKY FLOURESCENTS
Hi Bob,

You responded to Joe McChesney of Hudson, Florida in the 2009 issue of Highways regarding his flourescent lights affecting his heat/AC thermostat. I had the same problem in my 2007 Pace Arrow and after replacing the thermostat twice (yes, I am now on my third thermostat) a service tech at Fleetwood finally knew the solution. There is a piece of electronics called a choke filter, Fleetwood part number 355469 and costs about $20 and can be purchased directly from Fleetwood parts department. It cancels any interference from nearby flourescent lights. You simply loosen the thermostat mounting screws and unplug the harness on the back. Plug in the choke filter to the thermostat and reconnect the harness to the choke filter. Problem solved! I would advise a call to Fleetwood (1-800-322-8216) to confirm that this choke filter fits their coach model.
I read your column in every issue of Highways and you are usually right on. Somehow this one slipped by you. I'm not surprised though since my RV dealer didn't know the solution and neither did the first two or three people I talked to at Fleetwood! That should make you feel a little better.
Regards and keep up the good work,
Pat Geddes
Knoxville, Tennessee
pgeddes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
larry&rosalin&peepers