Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2006 National electrical issues

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some ideas on troubleshooting an electrical issue on my 2006 National Tradewinds. The coach is on a Freightliner chassis and powered by a 400 Cummins ISL. When I put the coach in winter storage everything was fine. Mid-winter I went to start it and it would barely crank. I started the generator to give the chassis batteries a charge and then used the battery boost switch to try and start the engine. As soon as I attempted this I completely lost all 12 volt power. The warning lights and Freightliner information panel wouldn't even illuminate. It was completely dead. Even the electric steps would not retract. I figured the batteries were completely gone as I assumed they were the original chassis batteries.

Yesterday I installed new chassis batteries and the coach started right up and ran normally. The problem is there are still 12 volt issues that I don't understand. The electric steps won't retract. When I try to retract my Power Gear hydraulic jacks the system will come on and attempt to initialize but then goes dark as if its lost power. I noticed that when this occurs the back-up camera monitor also goes black. I cannot even get the 12-volt house battery disconnect to come on although it had been on prior to my replacing the chassis batteries. I also have no power to the system panel that shows the status of either the house or chassis batteries. The house batteries are on a 100 watt solar system and are fully charged.

I have checked all fuses, all 12-volt circuit breakers as well as wire connections to the fuse boxes and can't find anything wrong. I'm not sure what to do now. Any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punks385RLS View Post
... The house batteries are on a 100 watt solar system and are fully charged.

I have checked all fuses, all 12-volt circuit breakers as well as wire connections to the fuse boxes and can't find anything wrong. I'm not sure what to do now. Any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.
How did you determine that the house battery is fully charged?

If you have a volt meter, read the voltage on the house battery terminals (not items connected to the terminals; the terminals) then turn on the battery disconnect switch. If the voltage stays high and the battery switch still does not connect, you have a wiring or circuit protection issue. If the voltage drops very low suddenly, you have a battery issue.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Larry! The solar controller on my house batteries is showing 13 volts. I'll try using the volt meter and post what happens.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If you get no 12v in the coach with generator, alternator, or shorepower charging the batteries, look for a large fuse between your house battery and the inverter.

My rig has two 300A class T type fuses between the inverter and battery. One in the battery compartment and one near the inverter.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
If you get no 12v in the coach with generator, alternator, or shorepower charging the batteries, look for a large fuse between your house battery and the inverter.

My rig has two 300A class T type fuses between the inverter and battery. One in the battery compartment and one near the inverter.
The inverter fuse will not stop shorepower or generator power from the AC main panel.

Alternator power also does not have anything to do with the inverter.

The proper location for the inverter fuse is at the battery. Why do you have a second fuse? It serves no purpose as a short in the inverter or in the positive cable will both open the fuse at the battery.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
The inverter fuse will not stop shorepower or generator power from the AC main panel.

that is true

Alternator power also does not have anything to do with the inverter.

Once again very true

The proper location for the inverter fuse is at the battery. Why do you have a second fuse? It serves no purpose as a short in the inverter or in the positive cable will both open the fuse at the battery.

Larry
The people who designed and built the Country Coach brand which sold at a very high price point put it there.

And.......when the battery fuse blows, there is no 12v in the coach systems.

The OP's problem appears to be no 12v house battery function.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Larry
The proper place for the inverter/charger fuse (which is what the OP has) is at "both" ends of the cable, as he stated. The battery is considered the source during inverter operation, so should have a fuse at the battery to protect the cable. In charger mode, the charger is the source of current and should have a fuse at that end to protect the cable in the event of a short. Few manufacturers would go to this level of safety installation, however.

Tags
electrical, national