Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

2nd A/C option

Hey Guys, we have a 37’ Toy Hauler we want to add a 2nd A/C to. The electrical for the 2nd A/C is ran to the front bedroom. Was advise by a local RV service center not to install it there because the a/c would be on a slant on the roof and all the water would ran down the front of the roof and may cause leaking overtime, which makes sense. There is a place for the a/c in the garage, which is where we prefer to have it installed because it becomes the kids room after we unload, but no electrical is ran there. I was told that running the wires to the garage would be labor intensive and pricey to install a/c there. Anyone with any advice? I feel like my nephew and I could install the a/c if the electrical was ran to the garage.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #2

Have you thought about a portable A/C unit?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #3

Hummmmmmmmmm
Factory ran required AC Power to roof vent area in front bedroom but 'local service center' says it will cause a leak??????

A/C condensation run off will ONLY cause a leak IF seals/caulking are NOT maintained.

They are correct that running needed wiring from AC Power Panel to roof area in garage is difficult.
Also if no existing roof vent in garage then you would need to install bracing along with cutting the opening in roof.

Good luck!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hummmmmmmmmm
Factory ran required AC Power to roof vent area in front bedroom but 'local service center' says it will cause a leak??????

A/C condensation run off will ONLY cause a leak IF seals/caulking are NOT maintained.

They are correct that running needed wiring from AC Power Panel to roof area in garage is difficult.
Also if no existing roof vent in garage then you would need to install bracing along with cutting the opening in roof.

Good luck!

They didn’t say it would cause a leak. They just said with all the water running straight down to the front cap seam, it COULD cause issues down the road, especially if there is a tear in the caulk in between maintenance, which I do once every 3-4 months. Need one in garage more than we do in front bedroom
Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAlan View Post
Have you thought about a portable A/C unit?
Yeah, just not sure how we would do the exhaust hose. There are 2 windows but they are behind where the couch comes down and sets up
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #6

If it's in the garage just run an old 10 gauge extension cord to the ac unit and put a Male plug on the other end. Plug it in when you need it. Leave it unplugged when you dont
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Personally, I’d go where there’s a ready spot. All A/C units on my various RV’s have caused a runoff that could cause an issue due to poor maintenance as someone else noted. The issue is to stay ahead of any leaks before they happen. How many other fifth wheels or toy haulers do you see with a unit towards the front on a slant? Lots.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Hey Guys, we have a 37’ Toy Hauler we want to add a 2nd A/C to. The electrical for the 2nd A/C is ran to the front bedroom. Was advise by a local RV service center not to install it there because the a/c would be on a slant on the roof and all the water would ran down the front of the roof and may cause leaking overtime, which makes sense. There is a place for the a/c in the garage, which is where we prefer to have it installed because it becomes the kids room after we unload, but no electrical is ran there. I was told that running the wires to the garage would be labor intensive and pricey to install a/c there. Anyone with any advice? I feel like my nephew and I could install the a/c if the electrical was ran to the garage.
water run down roof and cause leak? where does rain water go
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

Thanks for the helpful replies
Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with birchyboy and mojim. Sounds like your service-guy doesn't want to do it.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #11

I highly doubt that... regardless, as previously stated, I prefer to have it in the garage. Which is one reason I didn’t question him a whole lot. Why do we have drain tubes on the side? Lets just let the water fall down the sides of the rig. I personally don’t want water running down the front cap for 4-5 days straight nonstop. In Alabama during the summer, the a/c wont be turned off very often
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #12

Could you run the wire to the garage under the trailer in metal conduit and come up thru the floor into some of that flat plastic conduit up the wall and across the ceiling?? Not the most desirable way but it would not be that difficult. If you have a/c ducts in the ceiling you could run the wire down them.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote