Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
30 AMP Considerations for using Both AC units

Back when our MH was manufactured in 1997, 50 AMP service was more of a luxury in RV parks than it is today. While it was offered as an option if you ordered a rig, it wasn’t standard on most sitting on a lot for sale. Our rig allows us to run both AC units from the generator or when plugged into shore power, run the front unit from the shore power and the rear unit from the generator. Thus is the life of a 30 AMP rig!

I’ve run across a product from Power Solutions called the “Motor Home Dual Power Adapter Kit”. The kit intercepts the generator’s 20 AMP output side headed to the rear AC unit. Once installed it allows you to disconnect the generator from the line to the rear AC unit as needed and in turn allows you to plug the rear AC unit into an available 20 AMP circuit when available on the post at the park. The design prevents you from having both hooked up at the same time. Furthermore, they offer an adapter that works with this kit that splits the 240 volt 50 AMP service at the post into two 120 volt 30 AMP connections. This splitter lets you plug the normal MH 30 AMP cord directly into it and also use a 20 AMP cord with a reducer from 30 AMP to 20 AMP to plug into the “Kit” adapter. Thus this provides for the ability to run both AC units when in a park using either a 50 AMP service (when available) or a 30 AMP and a 20 AMP (like in many of the state and federal parks). Of course some parks only have 30 AMP service and we’d be stuck anyways. Additional info can be found at Power Solutions

Thoughts on this type of setup will be greatly appreciate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #2

Looks good. I emailed them for the install directions to make sure I can install it in my coach. We camped last week in 94 degree heat and it got pretty warm during the day. This would really help. Thanks for the post.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We just installed one; the owner was extremely helpful with our somewhat out-of-the-ordinary set up.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I changed the power converter/breaker box out on our trailer to 50 amp service. Was a fairly simple do it yourself project. We now can run both our AC's at the same time. Sure is nice when we reach these 100 degree days.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I drank the koolaid and ordered everything necessary to add the dual power supply to the rig. It will ship tomorrow and that means I'll have something else to do on the rig 2 weekends out.

I contemplated converting the MH over to 50 AMP but decided to go this way instead, at least for now!

I update this post when I install it and let everyone know how it went.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

I received the instructions (nice people) and after looking at them I see I can just attach a 20 amp cord to the switch box (front/rear) for the rear A/C unit and snake it to the lower power bin. I can then plug it into the 20 amp outlet at the CG. or buy a splitter for the 50 amp service. Or find the wires for the rear A/C unit in the generator box and connect the cord there. Their instructions aren't so clear and their hook up depends on the type of services and boxes you have. Kind of confusing to me.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Billieg, take a digital picture of your wiring set-up at the generator and email it to the Dual-Power folks. He'll give you detailed directions on wiring it in.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
You can do this on your own for about $50, here is how I did mine.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/dayb...mod-75563.html
Mafiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafiaman View Post
You can do this on your own for about $50, here is how I did mine.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/dayb...mod-75563.html
That is what I was talking about in my post above. The only difference is you put in a 3 way switch so you can use it both ways. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

When I bought my 5'er I had hard/easy (could be called either) start kits installed on the AC units. A 15,000 BTU and a 11,000 BTU AC. This is an extra relay and capacitor to give the compressor and extra kick when starting. These kits were designed to help with low voltage starts too. Shut off your AC's below 108 volts .

I run both AC's on 30 amp shore power. Both run to cool off the hot interior. Nothing else is on shore power until it is cool enough inside to shut off one AC.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Electrical Plugs from PPL - PPL Motor Homes
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ccook129; the Dual Power unit being discussed is for a somewhat different purpose than the item in your link.

The Dual Power box enables a 30 amp coach to utilize 2 separate electrical inputs to power both front and rear AC's at the same time. It works by breaking into the existing electrical circuit from the generator to the rear AC.

The plug in your link enable a 50 amp coach to create 2 legs of power (20a+30a) from 2 separate circuits when 50 amps is not available. I wonder how satisfactory this would be since 50 amp service is really 2 legs of 50 amps?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
ccook129; the Dual Power unit being discussed is for a somewhat different purpose than the item in your link.

The Dual Power box enables a 30 amp coach to utilize 2 separate electrical inputs to power both front and rear AC's at the same time. It works by breaking into the existing electrical circuit from the generator to the rear AC.

The plug in your link enable a 50 amp coach to create 2 legs of power (20a+30a) from 2 separate circuits when 50 amps is not available. I wonder how satisfactory this would be since 50 amp service is really 2 legs of 50 amps?
Operation:
¨
Use Heavy Duty (12/3) extension cord for
a second shore line, you need 20 amp
female connector available from us

¨
Or - use 20/30 adapter available from us
and your extra heavy duty 30 amp (10/3)
RV extension cord

¨
Plug second shore line into DUAL
POWER adapter receptacle

¨
Plug second shore line into 20 amp outlet
¨
Plug the coach 30 amp shore line in as
usual

¨
When not using second shore line, plug
pigtail connector into receptacle and you

are ready for generator use

These are the instructions for the dual power adapter,and thy are the same for the adapter I have that lets one operate both front and rear air.If you click on link Dual Power Adapter Brochure it will tell you the same things to do to get both 30 amp and 20 amp to your rig to run both airs.Its the same thing,except mine is water proof,and I don't think the Dual power Adapter is.

ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I installed the dual power adapter this morning and it works great!! It took about 2 hours to make all the necessary changes including adding an additional electrical box that made it easy to get at plug in. It will be nice to run both AC's when in a park here in Texas.