Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

30 amp main breaker tripping

The sister and I went to Osage Beach Rv Park in Osage Beach, MO. Lake of the Osarks in mid MO, last weekend to see one of our sisters and her husband. They have a condo 7 minutes from the rv park. We had a great
4 day weekend. Summer time, hot and humid. Lots of laughter, good chat, stories and some really good eating.Lots of sightseeing, it had been many years since I have been there. WOW, has it changed.
Came back to the rig on Sat. afternoon for a few minutes to pick up some items. And found the main 30 amp breaker tripped. Same thing happen Sunday afternoon while we were there. I open the panel door and felt the breaker, really warm. HHHHHHMMMMMM, that will be the chore this week, to find out what the heck is going on.
Safe Travels
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I take it the breaker was the one in the coach? if so, remove the panel and check for clan tight conductor connections on each breaker and on the neutral bar. You may also want to check any junctions or transfer switch between distribution panel and the power cord. Use a clamp on amp meter and have someone turn on various 120vac appliances. When you get close to 30 amps try adding smaller amp loads until the breaker trips out. If it holds at 30 amps the breaker is fine and something is coming on causing the load to out pull the rating on the breaker. Lessen loads is your only cure.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #3

Do you really have 120 volts comming in from the campground? You will get breakers tripping if the campground has a low voltage problem which is why I put an AutoFormer in my coach to boost voltage back to where it should be so my equipment inside the RV does not take a beating.

Too many waste a lot of time and effort trying to find problems inside their coach when its the campground supplying low voltage thats the root cause.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker414 View Post
The sister and I went to Osage Beach Rv Park in Osage Beach, MO. Lake of the Osarks in mid MO, last weekend to see one of our sisters and her husband. They have a condo 7 minutes from the rv park. We had a great
4 day weekend. Summer time, hot and humid. Lots of laughter, good chat, stories and some really good eating.Lots of sightseeing, it had been many years since I have been there. WOW, has it changed.
Came back to the rig on Sat. afternoon for a few minutes to pick up some items. And found the main 30 amp breaker tripped. Same thing happen Sunday afternoon while we were there. I open the panel door and felt the breaker, really warm. HHHHHHMMMMMM, that will be the chore this week, to find out what the heck is going on.
Safe Travels
You say hot and humid any chance you were trying to use 2 AC's at the same time?
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

I have also found that RV main breakers take a lot of punishment over the years. If after the above checks you have not determined the cause, just change it out, however I am betting that you had a low voltage problem at the campground. We are setting in a campground here in Missouri now and have 113/112 volts at the pedestal. Wait until the temp goes up to 85-89 degrees later today and it will be a challenge to keep it all going.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

Nope only one rooftop a/c.
And dddduuuuuhhhhhh, I forgot to check for low voltage.
Darn it.
Safe Travels
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Do you really have 120 volts comming in from the campground? You will get breakers tripping if the campground has a low voltage problem which is why I put an AutoFormer in my coach to boost voltage back to where it should be so my equipment inside the RV does not take a beating.

Too many waste a lot of time and effort trying to find problems inside their coach when its the campground supplying low voltage thats the root cause.

Excellent post Neil! Another vote for an AutoFormer.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If the breaker was warm its because you are either pulling to many amps (some older breakers may not be able to still handle 30 amps) or a loose connection at the terminal causing the breaker to heat up, the first problem you can correct the other requires an electrician.
adrianr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the breakers are magnetic now days. However if it's very warm, Read on...

Plugged into a fairly new box at a park (Box is newer than my MH, which at the time was 8,, Box perhaps 5) (I mean the entire site is not more than 5 years old). Even just one A/C and the converter would trip the 50 amp breaker... Third time I smelled "HOT WIRE" smell when I got my noise close to the box.
Ran my fingers over the face of the box and .. Well, those puppies were HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Called security, They sent an electrician with breakers (Ok so it took a long time for him to arrive, but that's another story).

He opened the box and went to remove the breakers.. Went back to his truck for gloves.. Put in new breakers, hot 'em hooked up, and was testing when I picked up the old ones from teh ground, it has now been about five mintues they have been lying on the ground STILL too hot to handle comfortablly.

Bad breakers.. Plugged in flipped new breakers on and FULL POWER.