Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

30 Amp Plug Configuration

We just bought a used Coach House Class C motorhome and the 30 amp plug configuration (see pic) is the same as a boat shore power cord, but I have seen a different configuration where the ground prong is round rather than "L" shaped. Do campgrounds typically support both types or do I need some type of adapter to use either type??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shore power.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	208219  
svcattales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

You will need an adaptor. Something like this will work.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/M...-3030DAVP.html

They also sell power cords with the 2 ends you need already on them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
What is that actually a picture of? Your shore power cable? Does it have the same pin configurations on both ends?

It's not uncommon for an RV to have that sort of connector on the side of the RV, and a shore power cord that has that on one end and the other kind (two flat pins, one round pin) on the other. The two flat/one round is what you plug into at a campground.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Commercial Member

30 Amp Plug Configuration

As FlyingDiver as stated, typically your pictured connector mates with a female connector on the outside of your RV. That connector then goes to your shore cable with a standard ANSI C73.13, TT-30P (plug) on the campground end. All campgrounds have a matching TT-30R outlet if they provide 30amp Service.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will need an adaptor. Something like this will work.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/M...-3030DAVP.html

They also sell power cords with the 2 ends you need already on them.
Thanks, Twinboat that adapter is just what I need. Greg
Old 06-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
What is that actually a picture of? Your shore power cable? Does it have the same pin configurations on both ends?

It's not uncommon for an RV to have that sort of connector on the side of the RV, and a shore power cord that has that on one end and the other kind (two flat pins, one round pin) on the other. The two flat/one round is what you plug into at a campground.
Picture is my shore power cable that I borrowed from my boat. The picture shows the end that connects to RV and other end is the same pattern that plugs into campground... NOT!. It turns out boat shore power cables are different than RV shore power cables. I learned here that RV plugs have a round ground prong while boats have a flat one with the L shape. I did find an adapter that goes from L shaped ground to round shaped ground so I should be able to use my boat cable.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Where is the shore power cord for the RV?

Don't have one?

Might as well buy an RV twist lock 30A RV Power cord vs boat/rv adapter
Then Boat has its own and RV has its own power cords that STAY with boat/RV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

He may have acquired a few spare marine 30 amp cords over the years. I think I have 6.

I have adaptors to use them as extensions on the RV and have installed the 30amp twist lock outlet in all of my family's homes. They fit in a standard outdoor box with cover and lock in. No confusion about dryer plugs either.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
He may have acquired a few spare marine 30 amp cords over the years. I think I have 6.

I have adaptors to use them as extensions on the RV and have installed the 30amp twist lock outlet in all of my family's homes. They fit in a standard outdoor box with cover and lock in. No confusion about dryer plugs either.
Yes. It is an extra spare for the boat and is 50ft long. The one that came with RV is only 30ft so for the cost of an adapter I have a 20ft longer cord. I also installed a "twist lock" 30 amp outlet in my garage so I can plug in directly at home. Good idea to adapt the boat cord to the rv cord as an extension.