Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
30 amp Surge Guard mounting questions

1) The instructions say it must be installed by a licensed electrician and then go on to provide deailed DYI instructions. Is this a case of them reducing the lawsuit potential, or should I pay an electrician?

2) The unit is marked 110 volts. My darling sweet nephews who were helping me install other new hardware said my A/C unit requires 220 volts and the SG cannot be installed where the shore power line enters the MH. Are they correct?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming your coach uses 30 amp service, follow the diy instructions and you will be fine.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
1) The instructions say it must be installed by a licensed electrician and then go on to provide deailed DYI instructions. Is this a case of them reducing the lawsuit potential, or should I pay an electrician?

2) The unit is marked 110 volts. My darling sweet nephews who were helping me install other new hardware said my A/C unit requires 220 volts and the SG cannot be installed where the shore power line enters the MH. Are they correct?
I installed mine, just follow the instructions and check your work and all should be good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1589.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	10174  
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:

All US RV A/C units that I know of are 120VAC, not 220. All US RV 30A service is 120V. The hard-wired SG can and should be installed where the shore power enters the MH.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
edj

Quote:

I have installed both the 30 amp and 50 amp versions in my trailers. Unless you know absolutely nothing about electrical systems/wiring, it is usually an easy install. The most difficult part I had was finding the location to put the Surge Protector and cutting the 50 amp cable (had to use a hacksaw). Be sure to measure the cable slack/routing at least 3 times before cutting the cable.... Mount the Surge Protector box and attach the cable conductors. The end that comes from the RV power plug goes into the Surge Protector input and the end from the CB box goes to the Surge Protector output.

The surge protector does not have to be installed right where the external power comes into the rig. It should be installed between the incoming power connection and the RV AC circuit breaker box at a convenient location. You want to find a location where you have some room to work and the box will be protected from stuff you store.

After you have it all hooked up, go to the CB box and switch OFF all the circuit breakers. Triple check the wire color codes going in and out the Surge Protector and then do the "smoke test". If all is OK, as it is most likely to be, switch back on the circuit breakers.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

Do NOT connect 220 V service to your unit!!!!!

This is a simple installation and yes this is the manufacturer covering their tail end.

ptysonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysonjr
Do NOT connect 220 V service to your unit!!!!!

This is a simple installation and yes this is the manufacturer covering their tail end.
Sorry, I did not read thoroughly. A/C unit does not run on 220. Entire system us 120v

ptysonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Wiring a 30a RV receptical for 220v is a very common mistake by experienced electricians because 30a 220v is "normal" in their world ...but a 30a RV is ALWAYS a 30a 120v connection, and the outlet (assuming you have the CORRECT one) is normally marked as such right on it. ...and my SurgeGuard is installed in the power compartment where the shore power line enters the system.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Y'all!!! Your help is greatly appreciated. The knowledge base and experience level of this group is an invalueable resource.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #10

As many have already said - 30a is 120v. The SG is easy to install and well worth the effort.

Good luck and enjoy
gpearston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just as a note, the 3 wire, 220v prong configuration is purposely different than the 3 wire, 120v, 30a RV plug. ...and that's the reason, so electricians not familar with RVs take note and don't make the mistake. Fact is, the actual 30a connection is electrically the same as a 'standard' residential plug - except for the breaker and conductor size. There both still hot-neutral-ground.