Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
5.5 KW Onan won't turn over

Well I screwed up and have not run my generator for about a year and a half! Now when I try to start it all I get is a loud taping and it will not turn over. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming it's not propane, Worse case scenario, gasoline jelled in the carburator.
Here is Service Manual for Onan Genset: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../983-0501D.pdf

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Doggy, you may not have understood, "it will not turn over, something is frozen up"!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #4

It's kind of hard to understand what you mean by tapping. Fast tap? Slow tap? Does it repeat like machine gun fire if you hold down the starter button or just does it once with each press of the starter button? Perhaps the solenoid? A loud fast "tapping" sound generally is the starter/solenoid trying to engage. There can be several causes, but most usually low voltage/amperage due to poor connections.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Well I screwed up and have not run my generator for about a year and a half! Now when I try to start it all I get is a loud taping and it will not turn over. Any ideas?
If you can see the cooling fan, check that the engine is not frozen up by pushing on the fan blades using a prying device. Careful not to use too much force as you could break off one of the cast blades. If the engine will not rotate, it is frozen and will need special attention. If a single or dual cylinder gas or propane unit you could remove the spark plugs and spray penetrating oil into the cylinder heads and then wait. Hopefully it is just a ring stuck to the cylinder wall with surface rust and the penetrating oil will free it. If you do free up the engine, leave the spark plugs out and generously lubricate the cylinder bores with oil. Motor the starter over to distribute the oil and blow excess out of cylinders. This is very important. Do not try to start the engine until it turns over smoothly and the lubricant you put in the cylinders has been forced out. (prevents hydraulic lock). Reinstall the spark plugs and give it a go. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, please seek professional help. You don't want to destroy your generator engine. Stuck rings are not uncommon in a gas/propane engine that has not been run for long periods of time.
Good luck with this one.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty pilot wife, retired airline pilot with lots of grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. 2006 Saturn Vue Toad and Blue Ox alpha tow bar with autobrake.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The loud tapping is the starter solenoid chattering because it is not getting enough voltage from the batteries. The generator normally uses the chassis batteries to start so the first question is if the mh motor starts? If not then get the batteries charged or checked. If the mh motor starts then the next thing is a loose or dirty battery cable connection. Just cleaning them while they are connected will not work. They have to be disconnected and wire brushed on the battery post and cable end for both cables. If there is corrosion on them then they have to be cleaning with baking soda first before wire brushing them.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all. We just got back from a trip and it had been a few days not plugged into AC. But can start the MH as far as I know. Plugged it in a few days ago so will try again today. It is the starter soil trying to turn it over. It is not a ticking like when you try to start a vehicle with a low or bad batt. It is a loud tapping (like a machine gun). It is a two cylinder gas unit. There looks like theres a "pan" under it that I could drop down and maybe get to something to try to turn it over. This thing is not on a slid-out and you can't get to it to do anything, I tried to pull a plug bet could not get to it, will try again today.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

tap the starter- it may just be stuck
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If the motor or the starter was frozen and either would not rotate then the starter solenoid would not be tapping. Gasoline jelled in the carb woul not stop it from turning over. My guess it is still a rusted or dirty or loose positive or negative battery cable. Like I said before you have to disconnect the battery cables to clean them properly. Your motorhome maybe different and the generator uses the house batteries to start. So clean the battery cables there also but before you do anything try starting the generator while holding down the Battery Boost switch.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike I did try the batt boost and same thing, now that it has been plugged in a couple days I am going to try it again. The taping I thought would be the starter soil, I thought it would hit, draw too much current drop out and hit again. I may be all wrong about that as it taps fast.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

No that tapping is really solenoid chatter because the voltage is too low to hold it closed. What happens is there is barely enough voltage to close the solenoid but when the voltage goes through the solenoid to the starter it drops the voltage way down so the solenoid releases. When it shuts off the voltage to the starter the voltage is now high enough to close the solenoid again and it will keep on repeating this cycle and thus the tapping or chattering of the solenoid.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike you are dead on and anyone else that said low battery. I tried it today and it turned over fine. I still don't know why it would be such a loud taping, but it's hard to argue with success. I do have some carburetor problems, it will only run for a couple seconds and quit. There is a drain for the bowl and I have drained it a number of times. The primer is working as I can pump the bowl back up after draining it. If I spray carburetor cleaner in it will run as long as I spray it. So I guess there is a jet somewhere that is dirty-gummed up. There is a cylindroid at the bottom of the bowl and I guess it has a jet also may remove it and try to clean it. Again thanks to everyone for your help. I'm not a carb man but these problems are a lot better than having it froze up!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
That why that once a month run time is so important to do
Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know about the newer onan generators, but on my older 6.5kw onan if the engine will only run a few seconds it means the generator is not producing any voltage. Mine turned out to be the voltage regulator. It could be other things though like the control board, oil pressure switch, brushes, etc.

Tags
onan