Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysLeg 14 View Post
Ok do here is the latest/update on this.... I have cleared up the prior issue, but now when I am hooked up to shore power some wires coming to the breaker panel accept the 120v bot others do not and sends the system back in to the previous situation, but as soon as I understand hook the wire everything is fine and dandy

Might try re-posting cause what you posted is NOT making ANY sense.
Lacking comprehension

50A
2 HOTS (L1 & L2) Typically BLACK and RED wires
1 Neutral..WHITE wire
1 Ground..GREEN (or BARE) wire

50A Circuit breaker for EACH leg....one 50A for Black and one 50A for Red

Neutral MUST be on the correct 'slot' terminal at outlet
And ALL connections need to be clean/tight
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:16 AM   #16

Depending on where you are in some rural parts of the country and many areas in Florida you could have Delta High Leg 3 phase at a residence and you really need to know what your doing when working with it. Tie into the high leg and you will get odd readings and can burn out anything you plug into the 110 outlets you hook up to the high leg and neutral.

We deal with that in the Tampa Florida area and have to be careful of electricians who are not familiar with it as even on new construction in these old areas the pros get confused and wire a 110 outlet to the high leg. You go in to work on one of those homes and if you find a corded drill, saw, sander runs much faster than normal that you need to shut everything down before you burn your tools out and have the mains pulled until the situation is corrected.

There is also a Delta Low Leg that you could get in residential areas that will give you low voltage if a 110 outlet is wired to the low leg.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may also want to run a new cable. 6 ga is required for 50A, not 8.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #18

[QUOTE=WillysLeg 14;3891504]Ok so here is the latest/update on this.... I have cleared up the prior issue, but now when I am hooked up to shore power some wires coming to the breaker panel accept the 120v but others do not and sends the system back in to the previous situation, but as soon as I unhook the wire everything is fine and dandy.

Example:
The power wire from the front ac makes the breaker panel power feed wires coming from the shore power have readings of 195v on one leg and 61v on the other in the coach when I hook it up but when I unhook it it goes back to normal, but when I hook up the wire for the water heater everything is ok and there is no change in the voltage readings.
WillysLeg 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First.. When it comes to electrical work if you have to ask you might consider hiring a professional to do it.. Doing it wrong is... Dangerous.

Now a 50 amp RV plug is wired the exact same as a 240 volt plug for a Range or other 4-wire appliance.

The only special concern is the NEUTRAL wire must be up for 50 amps same as the two HOT wires (Ground can be slightly smaller)

The odds of a Professional Electrican screwing up a 50 amp outlet are very very very low (I have seen it. blew fuses though)

With a 30 amp.. None of the above applies. The odds of a Pro screwing it up are over 50/50.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #20

[QUOTE=WillysLeg 14;3893689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysLeg 14 View Post
Ok so here is the latest/update on this.... I have cleared up the prior issue, but now when I am hooked up to shore power some wires coming to the breaker panel accept the 120v but others do not and sends the system back in to the previous situation, but as soon as I unhook the wire everything is fine and dandy.

Example:
The power wire from the front ac makes the breaker panel power feed wires coming from the shore power have readings of 195v on one leg and 61v on the other in the coach when I hook it up but when I unhook it it goes back to normal, but when I hook up the wire for the water heater everything is ok and there is no change in the voltage readings.

You are not communicating well. Think about what you are trying to convey: Break it up into short sentences that can't be misunderstood instead of a single long run-on sentence. Check your spelling before posting.

Does AC mean air conditioner or the 120 Volts?
Power doesn't come from air conditioners.

Confusing the people that are trying to help you does not improve your situation.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #21

The other thing to consider is what condition were the bars in your houses electrical panel where you installed the new breaker. If they were dusty with mold and corrosion you may need to use a non-flammable electrical cleaner and be sure to use the correct paste to prevent corrosion between the bars and the breaker. You may get past this by re-seating the breaker in the houses breaker panel a few times.

Unused slots in electrical panels tend to get dusty, moldy and corroded over time so you do well to verify them using proper care though to not touch them while their live.