Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

50 Amp service, L1 & L2 amp draw

When I'm plugged into 50A service at the post, what amperage do I have available on each of the legs? Do I have 50A on L1 and 50A on L2, or do I only have 50A in total on both lines combined? Thought I knew how 50A service worked but now I'm doubting myself. The other day I noticed on my Energy Management Panel that I had 33 amps on L1 and 13 amps on L2 for a total of 46 amps draw. Couldn't decide if I was almost to my limit or it I still had lots of amps yet to draw on.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You have 50A on each leg, or 100A total.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

you have 'up to' 100amps total, but knowing what draws(items, outlets, etc) are on each leg is another story.
I'm still not sure on ours. Without a schematic breakout, it's a shot in the dark to know what's on which leg, but I guess I could shut off all breakers, keeping only one on at a time, find what items/outlets work for that breaker, etc., though I'm still not sure if that would be more confusing than it's worth... : /

Class A diesel pusher
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
wagonmaster2, do you have a updated Energy Management Panel that lets you read L1 and L2 Current? O4 Meridian wiring shows only one sensing coil.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
you have 'up to' 100amps total, but knowing what draws(items, outlets, etc) are on each leg is another story.
I'm still not sure on ours. Without a schematic breakout, it's a shot in the dark to know what's on which leg, but I guess I could shut off all breakers, keeping only one on at a time, find what items/outlets work for that breaker, etc., though I'm still not sure if that would be more confusing than it's worth... : /

Class A diesel pusher
Breakers alternate legs in the panel. So you can tell which ones are on the same leg by the breaker position. And it's actual breaker position, in case you have those two-in-one breakers. Both of those are on the same leg, since it's actually one breaker body.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
To put it into proper perspective, each Leg has 50 amps of power available.

L-1 has 50 amps or 120 VAC X 50 AMPS = 6000 Watts of power to use on that leg.

L-2 has 50 amps or 120 VAC X 50 AMPS = 6000 Watts of power to use on that leg.

You now have a total of 12,000 Watts of power to use between the two halves of your coach. Lots of power!

BUT, when hooked to 30 amp service you will only have 120 VAC X 30 AMPS = 3600 Watts of power to use between the entire coach. That is because there is only one LEG of power for the 30 amp RV service versus two legs for the 50 amp service.

Big difference, Eh!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
wagonmaster2, do you have a updated Energy Management Panel that lets you read L1 and L2 Current? O4 Meridian wiring shows only one sensing coil.
I now have a 2015 Dutch Star and have tried a couple of times to change my profile to read correctly but somehow I'm not doing the right stuff (which is no surprise considering what a computer Dummy I am).

Appreciate the information on having 100 amps. Kind of thought this was the situation but when the total of L1 & L2 approached 50 amps I began to second guess myself.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
When I'm plugged into 50A service at the post, what amperage do I have available on each of the legs? Do I have 50A on L1 and 50A on L2, or do I only have 50A in total on both lines combined? Thought I knew how 50A service worked but now I'm doubting myself. The other day I noticed on my Energy Management Panel that I had 33 amps on L1 and 13 amps on L2 for a total of 46 amps draw. Couldn't decide if I was almost to my limit or it I still had lots of amps yet to draw on.
Are you plugged into an outlet at home or in a campground ? I have found quite a few abysmal outside electrical plants at campgrounds. Everything from high or low voltage to open neutrals to frequency problems, you name it. Especially true in a lot of the older RV parks.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I now have a 2015 Dutch Star and have tried a couple of times to change my profile to read correctly but somehow I'm not doing the right stuff (which is no surprise considering what a computer Dummy I am).

Appreciate the information on having 100 amps. Kind of thought this was the situation but when the total of L1 & L2 approached 50 amps I began to second guess myself.
Your information has been changed for you except model and length which was left blank. Did you click save or submit at the bottom of the page when you attempted it?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Your information has been changed for you except model and length which was left blank. Did you click save or submit at the bottom of the page when you attempted it?
Yes, I have always clicked Save but when i went back to survey my changes the old information was still in place. Thanks for the assist.

Tags
service