RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
50amp service down to 30amp service

My rig is a 50amp service but I'm told if I am selective I can run it on 30amp. First of all, is there a problem with any of the appliances doing this? I have two roof AC/heat pump units, micro/convection and washer/dryer combo. Of course I can be selective in their use but just want to be cautious.

I was also told if I stay at a park with only a 30 amp service but also with a 110volt outlet on the post, that I can buy the Y adapter cord (two plugs(30amp & 110 volt) on one end and the 50 amp on the other)and plug both the 30amp and the 110 volt plugs into the service post and the 50 amp motor home plug into that. I was told it is nearly 50amps of service. I also would like to know if this is a problem or is it OK and safe?

I would appreciate any comments to help me make my decision to purchase the Y adapter cords/plugs. Thanks.

Also, I am wondering if the solar panel ontop charges the house batteries or just the chassis? If it does charge the house batteries, does it still charge if the battery disconnect is turned on?

I have two house batteries that with in a short period of time go down to around 9.5 volts but charge right up in a minute to 13.5 when the generator or chassis engine is running. Again, appreciate any comments.

Lastly, when my fridge is turned to LP how much batter power does it need with the doors closed and ice maker turned off? Can it run OK on about 9 volts. I just need it to last for about 12 hours.

Maybe I should have put these in three separate posts.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sure, you can buy an adapter and run on 30A service. I do it quite often. You may have mixed results with the Y adapter. Firstly, true 50A service is really TWO 50A legs, so 100A available to your coach. You will not approach that using adapters and 30A plugs. There are also many pitfalls to be aware of using the Y adapter approach. Improper phase, GFI outlets won't play nice, etc.

My advice, go to Walmart and get a 30-50 dogbone adapter and plug into the 30. You just have to be aware of your consumption, and be ready to sneak outside in your skivvies to reset the breaker if it trips.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the help. It's appreciated.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

If you use 30 amp most likely you can only run one AC. I found out the hard way, set up camp with both ac going to cool things down, went into town and came back to a hot coach because it tripped the breaker. Good to feel the cord at the pedestal from time to time if you think you are pulling too many amps. You don't want the cord to get too warm melt. Sounds like it may be time for new batteries :(
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Gary & Charliej are correct.
I would hesitate to use the adapter. 30amp is fine but limits you to choosing what is important. Batteries need to charge for hours. 13.5 is what the charger is putting in. To know what the battery is at in the way of volts it should be disconnected and sit for up to 24 hrs and then check the voltage. Better yet have a "load test" done on the battery. You should never deplete them below 50% which is about 12.2 volts.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Gary, its never a good idea to use a adapter if it can be avoided. When going from 50 to 30 amp service, you are also going from 240 volts to 120 volts. If you must,two ac units and frig. and maybe a tv. And the frig is questionable? And if you don't believe, after 10 min. or so feel the adapter. It's going to be warm if not HOT! I've been a Master electrician and contractor for over 33 years and seen it all, and most GOOD Electricians will agree that 30 amp 120v circuit sucks,and i would not own somthing wired that way. Look for parks with 50 amp service and stick with them.
gio8856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

My humble experience on one of your concerns; I've only been RVing for 2 years, 8,000 miles and counting weeks amounts to at least 4 months of time spent in the RV. Most of the camp grounds and state parks we go to are 30amps. My coach is 50amp with a switch for 50 or 30 amp services. I use the short dog bone that I bought at Camping World connected to the 50amp cord. With basement HVAC I have to be careful with microwave and hair dryers but other than those have never had an issue with refrig, TV or lights. The basement HVAC and switch for 50 to 30 may be the difference in my experience and some of the other posters. If I only chose 50 amp sites our camping would be very limited .

According to replies to my question, the Y is not a good idea.
2 30 to make 50
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
again, thanks for the replys. If i do use the 30amp service i will be very cautious about using certain appliances.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. View Post
again, thanks for the replys. If i do use the 30amp service i will be very cautious about using certain appliances.
Does your Newmar not have an EMS system that , when on 30 amp power, selectively shuts down various appliances to keep breaker from blowing?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Does your Newmar not have an EMS system that , when on 30 amp power, selectively shuts down various appliances to keep breaker from blowing?
We sat for 3 days with only 30 amps, in a 50 amp coach.we had the roof heat pump on and we lost it when the EMS shed the appliances, we are currently on 50 amps but the appliances that it shed are still off and won't come up again.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure about the EMS as I have never plugged my coach into 30amp service, it's always been on 50amps. Have not been in that many sites yet only having the coach for a year but we are headed to DC from Boise, ID in 3 weeks and just wanting to understand how things work a bit better. As I mentioned earlier, we have reserved a spot close to our Army son in DC with 30amp service so I curious how it's going to work. Thanks for the input.

PS: how would I know if my coach had EMS? I don't recall reading about it in my owners manuals or other documentation. Guess I should call Newmar.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm not sure about the EMS as I have never plugged my coach into 30amp service, it's always been on 50amps. Have not been in that many sites yet only having the coach for a year but we are headed to DC from Boise, ID in 3 weeks and just wanting to understand how things work a bit better. As I mentioned earlier, we have reserved a spot close to our Army son in DC with 30amp service so I curious how it's going to work. Thanks for the input.

PS: how would I know if my coach had EMS? I don't recall reading about it in my owners manuals or other documentation. Guess I should call Newmar.
Jut use one roof AC instead of both and you'll be fine.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
My rig is a 50amp service but I'm told if I am selective I can run it on 30amp. First of all, is there a problem with any of the appliances doing this? I have two roof AC/heat pump units, micro/convection and washer/dryer combo. Of course I can be selective in their use but just want to be cautious.

I was also told if I stay at a park with only a 30 amp service but also with a 110volt outlet on the post, that I can buy the Y adapter cord (two plugs(30amp & 110 volt) on one end and the 50 amp on the other)and plug both the 30amp and the 110 volt plugs into the service post and the 50 amp motor home plug into that.

I would appreciate any comments to help me make my decision to purchase the Y adapter cords/plugs. Thanks.
Those Y "cheater adapters": https://www.google.com/#fp=551337252...r+adapter+plug
only work if neither receptacle is GFCI protected..... (most 20A recepticals in campground power pedistals are GFCI receptacles).

50A/30A adapters will power your coach If you use common sense electrical management and don't use more than 30A.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

Those Y "cheater adapters": https://www.google.com/#fp=551337252...r+adapter+plug
only work if neither receptacle is GFCI protected..... (most 20A recepticals in campground power pedistals are GFCI receptacles).

50A/30A adapters will power your coach If you use common sense electrical management and don't use more than 30A.
Just to clarify, the 30 amp receptacle is also 120 VAC. Some mistakingly think it is 240 VAC.

John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service